Sit-in Held in Beirut in Solidarity with Anti-Hezbollah Shiite Cleric

Cleric Ali Al-Amin (NNA)
Cleric Ali Al-Amin (NNA)
TT
20

Sit-in Held in Beirut in Solidarity with Anti-Hezbollah Shiite Cleric

Cleric Ali Al-Amin (NNA)
Cleric Ali Al-Amin (NNA)

Religious and media figures held a sit-in on Tuesday in solidarity with anti-Hezbollah cleric Ali al-Amin, who has been taken to court for participating in late 2019 in a meeting in Bahrain that was allegedly attended by Israelis.

The lawsuit was filed in June 2020 by lawyer Ghassan al-Mawla on behalf of Nabih Awada, Khalil Nasrallah, Shawqi Awada and Hussein al-Dirani against al-Amin for “meeting with Israeli officials in Bahrain, attacks on the Resistance and its martyrs, inciting strife between sects, sowing discord and sedition, and violating the Sharia laws of the Jaafari sect.”

Al-Amin’s questioning was scheduled to take place on Tuesday at the Justice Palace in Beirut, but it was postponed due to a strike by lawyers.

Religious and media figures had gathered outside the Justice Palace in solidarity with the cleric ahead of the planned questioning.

They raised banners supporting al-Amin and saying that violent messages do not silence the voice of freedom.

Kataeb Party chief Sami Gemayel expressed his solidarity with al-Amin “and support for his free and open mind in the face of oppression and close-minded people.”

He added: “We will not accept intimidation, and we will bring down the police state and the militias behind it.”

Last year, Prime Minister-designate Saad Hariri condemned the lawsuit filed against the cleric as “an attack on the dignity of Lebanese.”

The Mustaqbal movement leader in a tweet said that Amin “is a representative of national and Islamic unity and the attack on his dignity is an attack on all Muslims and Christians.”

Al-Amin has said he held no personal meeting with any Israeli at the conference, and that he “was not aware of their attendance.”



Gaza Rescuers Say Nine Children among Dead in Israel Strike on UN Building

A crying Palestinian girl stands over the debris of a house hit by an Israeli strike in the south Gaza city of Khan Yunis on Wednesday. - AFP
A crying Palestinian girl stands over the debris of a house hit by an Israeli strike in the south Gaza city of Khan Yunis on Wednesday. - AFP
TT
20

Gaza Rescuers Say Nine Children among Dead in Israel Strike on UN Building

A crying Palestinian girl stands over the debris of a house hit by an Israeli strike in the south Gaza city of Khan Yunis on Wednesday. - AFP
A crying Palestinian girl stands over the debris of a house hit by an Israeli strike in the south Gaza city of Khan Yunis on Wednesday. - AFP

The Israeli army said it targeted Hamas militants in a strike on a UN building in Jabalia refugee camp Wednesday that Gaza's civil defense agency said killed 19 people, nine of them children.

The army said in a statement that it struck the militants "inside a command and control centre that was being used for coordinating terrorist activity", and separately confirmed to AFP the building housed a UN clinic.

Civil defense spokesman Mahmud Bassal said there were also dozens of people wounded in the strike which "targeted an UNRWA building housing a medical clinic".

The army said that "the compound was used by Hamas's Jabalia Battalion to plan terror attacks", and accused Hamas of "exploiting the civilian population as a human shield".

The Palestinian foreign ministry condemned the "massacre at the UNRWA clinic in Jabalia", calling for "serious international pressure" to halt Israel's widening offensive.

The Islamic Jihad militant group, a Hamas ally, called the bombing a "blatant war crime".

Israel has on several occasions conducted strikes on UNRWA buildings housing displaced people in Gaza, where fighting has raged for most of the past 18 months.

A strike on the United Nations-run Al-Jawni school in central Gaza on September 11 drew international outcry after UNRWA said six of its staff were among the 18 people reported killed.

The Israeli military accuses Hamas of hiding in school buildings where thousands of Gazans have sought shelter -- a charge the Palestinian militant group denies.

Israel resumed major airstrikes on the Palestinian territory on March 18, after talks on next steps in a six-week truce broke down.

It also conducted airstrikes on southern and central Gaza on Wednesday that the civil defense agency said killed at least 15 people, including children, in the city of Khan Yunis and Nuseirat refugee camp.

Since then, at least 1,042 people have been killed in Gaza, according to figures last updated by Gaza's health ministry on Tuesday.

In total, 50,399 people have been killed since the start of the war triggered by Hamas's October 2023 attack, according to the ministry's figures, which the United Nations views as reliable.