US Maintains Designation of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham as Terrorist Organization

 Acting US Special Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS and Acting Counterterrorism Coordinator, John Godfrey. (US State Department)
Acting US Special Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS and Acting Counterterrorism Coordinator, John Godfrey. (US State Department)
TT

US Maintains Designation of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham as Terrorist Organization

 Acting US Special Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS and Acting Counterterrorism Coordinator, John Godfrey. (US State Department)
Acting US Special Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS and Acting Counterterrorism Coordinator, John Godfrey. (US State Department)

A senior US official said that the United States would maintain the designation of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham as a terrorist organization, in response to many recent calls for opening a dialogue with the group, which is active in northwestern Syria and claims to be dissociated from al-Qaeda.

The US official noted that ISIS branches around the world have increased the frequency of their attacks and their threat has become very high. But he pointed that the terrorist movement was still focused on Syria and Iraq.

During a special press briefing attended by Asharq Al-Awsat on Thursday, Acting US Special Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS and Acting Counterterrorism Coordinator, John Godfrey, said: “The number of branches and networks of ISIS outside of Iraq and Syria that are active and engaged in conducting attacks has increased and that is something that we’re keenly focused on. The coalition has as a stated goal achieving the enduring defeat of ISIS globally, and as we talked about at the ministerial in Rome, that entails dealing with the threat where it is. And I think right now today some of the threat, as an important part of the threat is – related to ISIS is emerging outside of Iraq and Syria. That’s not to say that we can ignore what’s happening in Iraq and Syria.”

Asked by Asharq Al-Awsat about Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), Godfrey said: “Regarding HTS, it is a designated terrorist organization and that has some fairly serious implications for our ability to have anything to do with it, and we continue to assess that it is a terrorist organization.”

Godfrey’s statement on HTS is the latest position issued by the US administration regarding calls to open a dialogue with the group, which is led by Abu Muhammad al-Julani, a former leader in al-Qaeda.

In an interview with the American channel PBS, Al-Julani called for a dialogue with Washington, referring to the disengagement of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham from al-Qaeda, in addition to his assertion that the organization would not use the Syrian arena except to confront the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.

Godfrey spoke in his press briefing about his tour last week of the Kurdistan region in Iraq and northeastern Syria, before his participation, along with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, in the conference of the coalition against ISIS in Rome on Monday.

He said: “While the D-ISIS coalition has achieved extraordinary success in the fight against ISIS, including ending ISIS’ fraudulent territorial caliphate, it’s clear that we still have more work to do.”

“In Iraq, ISIS remains active in the northern part of the country, splitting the seams between areas controlled by federal Iraqi Security Forces and areas controlled by Kurdistan Regional Government security forces. Those seams afford some limited space in which ISIS is able to operate. While the attacks in Iraq have so far been less lethal this year than last year, the terrible twin suicide bombings in Baghdad in January were a stark reminder that ISIS continues to aspire to conduct large-scale attacks in Iraq. The coalition continues to support partner forces with high-level advising, intelligence-sharing, air support and equipment,” he explained.

Godfrey noted that threats from Iran-aligned militia groups “complicate the security picture in Iraq, endangering the lives of Iraqi citizens and threatening coalition forces and facilities.”

The US senior official warned that “poverty and inequality” in Iraq and Syria encouraged the youth to resort to terrorist groups.

“One thing I heard consistently in both Iraq and Syria is that poverty, inequality, and perceived injustice continue to drive many young people to join terrorist groups, including ISIS. The combination of a severe drought and a wheat harvest that will be about half of what is normal has created a significant economic downturn that impacts the revenues of local partners and also contributes to unemployment,” he stated.

Godfrey continued: “I heard that ISIS is actively seeking to exploit that economic situation to reconstitute presence – or to try to reconstitute presence in areas hardest hit by the economic downturn. And that’s part of why ensuring continued support for coalition stabilization efforts is such a major objective of the coalition and which featured so prominently at the ministerial meeting.”



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.