Ethiopia Says GERD Second Filling Causes No 'Significant Harm' to Egypt, Sudan

A photo published by the Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed on his Twitter account, announcing the end of the second filling process of the Grande Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD)
A photo published by the Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed on his Twitter account, announcing the end of the second filling process of the Grande Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD)
TT

Ethiopia Says GERD Second Filling Causes No 'Significant Harm' to Egypt, Sudan

A photo published by the Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed on his Twitter account, announcing the end of the second filling process of the Grande Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD)
A photo published by the Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed on his Twitter account, announcing the end of the second filling process of the Grande Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD)

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed sent a message of reassurance to Egypt and Sudan following the second filling of Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), stressing that it will not inflict any significant harm on the two downstream nations.

Last week, the Ethiopian government announced the completion of the second filling of the dam built on the main tributary of the Nile River, which Addis Ababa used to generate electricity, in a move that angered Egypt and Sudan.

Ahmed tweeted his message in Arabic, saying the dam “can serve as a source for cooperation between our three countries” and asserted that it takes up “only a small portion of the water flow.”

Ethiopia says the $4-billion-dam is essential for economic development and the provision of electricity. However, it has raised concerns about water shortages and safety in Egypt and Sudan.

Ethiopian Foreign Spokesperson Dina Mufti expressed his country’s readiness to resume negotiations with riparian countries, namely Egypt and Sudan, at any time decided by the African Union (AU).

During a press conference on Thursday, Mufti reiterated his country’s position that Cairo and Khartoum were informed of the dam’s second filling in the context of exchanging information on the subject.

He also stressed that the second filling of the GERD’s reservoir did not harm the downstream countries but was beneficial to Sudan.

Egypt is yet to officially comment on the Ethiopian announcement that the filling has been completed.

Earlier this week, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi discussed over the phone the ongoing GERD issue with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, reiterating Cairo’s position to ensure its water security and uphold its “historical rights of Nile water.”

He called on the international community to continue supporting the negotiation process on the issue.

Last month, Egypt announced it received a formal notice from Ethiopia about the second filling of the dam, reiterating its categorical rejection of the move.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.