Jordan's Jaber Border Crossing with Syria Reopens for Cargo Traffic

Jordanian border crossing, Jaber is seen in the city of Mafraq, Jordan July 7, 2018. REUTERS/Muhammad Hamed
Jordanian border crossing, Jaber is seen in the city of Mafraq, Jordan July 7, 2018. REUTERS/Muhammad Hamed
TT
20

Jordan's Jaber Border Crossing with Syria Reopens for Cargo Traffic

Jordanian border crossing, Jaber is seen in the city of Mafraq, Jordan July 7, 2018. REUTERS/Muhammad Hamed
Jordanian border crossing, Jaber is seen in the city of Mafraq, Jordan July 7, 2018. REUTERS/Muhammad Hamed

Jordan's Jaber Border Crossing with Syria reopened for cargo movement Wednesday, after its temporary closure over security issues on the Syrian side.

President of the Association of Owners of Clearance and Transport Companies Daif Allah Abu Aqouleh said that back-to-back shipment is being applied for Syria and Lebanon imports, as well as Jordanian exports, until further notice.

He announced the official approval of resuming cargo movement from and to Jaber Border Crossing.

On Saturday, Jordan temporarily closed the border crossing for passengers and goods due to the security developments in south Syria, in addition to violent clashes that killed 28 on Thursday.

Amman announced Wednesday that it will resume operations at the crossing as of Sunday, after one year of limited operations due to the COVID pandemic.

Jaber Border Crossing is the main crossing between Jordan and Syria and is a key economic driver through which Jordanian goods pass to Turkey, Lebanon, and Europe.

It was closed in mid-2015 as a result of the Syrian conflict, causing grave damage to the Kingdom with whom trade reached $615 million in 2010.

The crossing was reopened in October 2018, and trade between the two countries hit $108.7 million in 2020.



Rubio Says US is Revoking all Visas Held by South Sudanese Passport Holders

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
TT
20

Rubio Says US is Revoking all Visas Held by South Sudanese Passport Holders

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday that the United States was revoking all visas held by South Sudanese passport holders, accusing the African nation's government of “taking advantage of the United States.”
“Every country must accept the return of its citizens in a timely manner when another country, including the United States, seeks to remove them,” Rubio said in a statement, adding that “South Sudan’s transitional government has failed to fully respect this principle."
Besides revoking visas, Rubio said the US would "prevent further issuance to prevent entry into the United States by South Sudanese passport holders.”
South Sudan’s political landscape is fragile and recent violence between government troops and armed opposition groups has escalated tensions, The Associated Press said.
Last week, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged regional and international leaders to prevent South Sudan from falling “over the abyss” into another civil war.
Guterres warned that the world’s newest and one of its poorest countries is facing “a security emergency” with intensifying clashes and a “political upheaval” culminating with last week’s arrest by the government of First Vice President Riek Machar.