Israeli Army Chief Urges Easing of Repression of Palestinians in West Bank

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett with Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi on Tuesday. (dpa)
Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett with Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi on Tuesday. (dpa)
TT

Israeli Army Chief Urges Easing of Repression of Palestinians in West Bank

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett with Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi on Tuesday. (dpa)
Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett with Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi on Tuesday. (dpa)

Israeli Chief of Staff Aviv Kochavi asked senior Central Command officers to reduce the number of shootings of Palestinians by soldiers in the West Bank, which has risen considerably in recent months.

Military sources told Israeli media that Kochavi had asked troops to reduce the killings after more than 40 Palestinians were shot dead in clashes with soldiers.

They confirmed that Kochavi’s message came after politicians and security officials criticized the conduct of Central Command chief Maj. Gen. Tomer Yadai for the behavior of his forces, warning that it could lead to an escalation in the West Bank.

Haaretz newspaper quoted political officials in Tel Aviv, who criticized the Central Command and his officers. They warned that their behavior could touch off an escalation in the West Bank and hurt the government’s efforts to help the Palestinian Authority (PA) recover economically and politically.

Kochavi also noted several cases where settlers in civilian clothes were seen shooting at Palestinians with army-issue weapons.

In June, a settler was photographed using an Israeli army weapon to shoot at Palestinians in the southern Hebron Hills.

The shooter, who emerged from a military jeep in which soldiers were sitting, was photographed firing at Palestinians from the village of a-Tuwani near the outpost of Havat Maon. At the same time, other settlers at the scene threw stones and damaged trees belonging to the Palestinians.

The newspaper reported that the Israeli army was not provided with any information about the attack and others in which settlers were seen shooting at Palestinians with soldiers observing nearby.

Over the past three months, Palestinians have complained of a significant escalation in attacks by settlers and soldiers that they blamed on the army’s approval of establishing the Eviatar settlement outpost on Jabal Sabih near Nablus.

Haaretz said that this was met with daily Palestinian demonstrations, leading to clashes between them and soldiers and settlers, leaving five Palestinians dead and hundreds injured.

Clashes expanded to several other locations in Jerusalem and the rest of the West Bank.

Haaretz said over the past three weeks, several Palestinians were killed in a manner that raises questions over the soldiers’ compliance with the rules of engagement.

Mohammed al-Alami, 12, was killed when he was struck by 13 bullets fired at the vehicle in which he was sitting with his family near the entrance to the town of Beit Ummar, north of Hebron.

One of the bullets struck the boy in the chest. After his funeral, clashes broke out, during which Israeli soldiers shot and killed Shawkat Awwad, 20.

In July, 17-year-old Mohammed Tamimi was shot and killed by Israeli fire in Nabi Saleh near Ramallah. A few days later, soldiers shot dead a plumber, Shadi Shurafi, from Beita.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.