Israel Drops Warning Leaflets over Syria’s Quneitra

Israeli soldiers during a military exercise in the occupied Golan Heights on Wednesday. (AFP)
Israeli soldiers during a military exercise in the occupied Golan Heights on Wednesday. (AFP)
TT
20

Israel Drops Warning Leaflets over Syria’s Quneitra

Israeli soldiers during a military exercise in the occupied Golan Heights on Wednesday. (AFP)
Israeli soldiers during a military exercise in the occupied Golan Heights on Wednesday. (AFP)

The Israeli army dropped warning leaflets over Syria’s Quneitra region overnight Tuesday, reported Israel’s Kan radio.

The leaflets were dropped in wake of an attack blamed on Israel that night, said Syrian opposition figures on Wednesday.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that fires had broken out in a military position belonging to regime forces and Iranian militias west of the town of Khodr in Quneitra’s northern countryside after being struck by three rockets fired by Israel on Tuesday night.

The leaflets delivered warnings to the Syrian military against cooperating with the Lebanese Hezbollah party, specifically one its senior members, whom it identified as Hajj Jawad Hashem, who is active in Syria and had been named in previous leaflets.

“Carrying out dirty work for Hezbollah has become a priority for the Syrian army,” read the leaflet.

It added: “Hajj Hashem and his men roam positions in southern Syrian, including positions in Qars al-Naql and the 90th Brigade that were targeted the night before yesterday.”

“The members of the Syrian army have been turned into Hezbollah’s dummies without them even realizing it,” it read.

It warned that the members of the Syrian military are being closely watched and that they should be careful of their actions.

“Abetting Hajj Hashem will lead to your destruction,” it warned.

Syrian television on Tuesday reported that Israel had struck the border region of Quneitra near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Syrian opposition sources said the attack targeted military positions, including one affiliated with Hezbollah. The other belongs to the military’s 90th Brigade.



Israel Expands ‘Security Annexation’ in Gaza

Palestinians inspect a United Nations building after it was hit by an Israeli airstrike in Jabalia, northern Gaza, on April 2, 2025 (Associated Press)
Palestinians inspect a United Nations building after it was hit by an Israeli airstrike in Jabalia, northern Gaza, on April 2, 2025 (Associated Press)
TT
20

Israel Expands ‘Security Annexation’ in Gaza

Palestinians inspect a United Nations building after it was hit by an Israeli airstrike in Jabalia, northern Gaza, on April 2, 2025 (Associated Press)
Palestinians inspect a United Nations building after it was hit by an Israeli airstrike in Jabalia, northern Gaza, on April 2, 2025 (Associated Press)

As Israel expanded its military operations in Gaza and the West Bank, far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir sparked Palestinian outrage by entering the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said he plans to seize large areas of land in Gaza and turn them into “security zones,” as well as in the West Bank to bolster Jewish settlements.

On Wednesday, Katz announced that Israeli forces would move into the Gaza Strip "to cleanse areas of terrorists and infrastructure" and seize large swaths of land to expand Israel's security zones.

The statement followed the deployment of an additional Israeli brigade in southern Gaza as part of an escalation in the offensive. The Israeli army’s Radio reported that the 36th Armored Division is leading the new ground operation in Gaza.

The Israeli military also ordered the complete evacuation of the Rafah area along the southern Gaza border, initiating incursions in the region, including targeting vast areas between Rafah and Khan Younis. This marks the largest evacuation order since Israel resumed its offensive in Gaza on March 18, ending a two-month ceasefire.

Field sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Israeli forces have effectively taken control of areas in Rafah and are attempting to push further into other parts of the city, making it largely under their control.

The sources added that the incursion has begun in certain areas, while the military maintains fire control over others. It is expected that the forces will reach these areas at any moment, including parts of the southeastern region of Khan Younis, which lies close to Rafah.

In a provocative move, Ben-Gvir led an incursion into the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound on Wednesday. Since taking office as National Security Minister, Ben-Gvir has entered the site more than eight times, a move that has sparked widespread outrage and condemnation.

Saudi Arabia strongly condemned the incursion, under the protection of Israeli police, and the eviction of worshippers. The Kingdom reiterated its condemnation of Israel's ongoing flagrant violations of the mosque's sanctity.

In a statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Saudi Arabia also condemned the Israeli forces’ targeting of a clinic run by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza.

The Kingdom expressed its concern over the continued Israeli attacks on UN agencies, humanitarian organizations, and their workers.

Saudi Arabia emphasized the need to protect UN agencies, humanitarian organizations, and their personnel, urging the international community to take action to end Israel's relentless military actions, which disregard human values and international laws.

The Kingdom warned that the international community’s failure to deter such grave and persistent violations would undermine the prospects for achieving lasting peace, erode the credibility and legitimacy of international law, and negatively affect regional and global security and stability.