UN Agency Warns of ‘Imminent’ Famine in Afghanistan

Children collect food and recyclables from a waste container near Kabul airport on September 21, 2021. (AFP)
Children collect food and recyclables from a waste container near Kabul airport on September 21, 2021. (AFP)
TT

UN Agency Warns of ‘Imminent’ Famine in Afghanistan

Children collect food and recyclables from a waste container near Kabul airport on September 21, 2021. (AFP)
Children collect food and recyclables from a waste container near Kabul airport on September 21, 2021. (AFP)

Afghanistan is at risk of “imminent hunger” with winter approaching and services disrupted by the return to power of the Taliban, a UN official warned in an interview with AFP.

Natalia Kanem, director of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), said via video that the situation in the country was dire.

“It would not be an exaggeration to say” that at least a third of Afghanistan’s population of around 33 million is affected by “imminent hunger,” Kanem warned.

Harsh winters, disrupting the ability to transport supplies to isolated areas of the mountainous country, plus the coronavirus pandemic will aggravate an already complicated situation, she added.

“There is a lot of anxiety over how we’re going to deliver health care, where the next meal is going to come from,” Kanem told AFP from the UNFPA headquarters in New York.

The doctor from Panama warned that women and girls would bear the worst of it.

“It is urgent, for women and girls in particular who were already suffering. This is one of the countries with the highest death during childbirth and pregnancy rates.

“We cannot underscore enough that even during a transitional period, women and girls have human rights and these are to be respected,” she said.

Kanem repeated calls made by the international community to the Taliban, who swept to power last month as the United States withdrew its last troops, ending Washington’s 20-year war there.

“The women of Afghanistan have made clear over years that they want their education, they want their health care, and that they’re also ready, willing and able to design programs and to be able to lead in their communities,” she said.

Taliban leaders have tried to portray the group as more moderate than when it last ran Afghanistan from 1996 to 2001. Then, women were banned from school or work and only allowed to leave home with a male chaperone.

They have promised to change, saying they will respect women’s rights within the framework of Islamic sharia law, but many remain skeptical.

But not a single woman was appointed to the provisional government and the Taliban seem to be incrementally stripping away Afghans’ freedoms.

Kanem notes that in a country ravaged by decades of conflict, many women, particularly in areas most affected by violence, are the sole breadwinners.

“We’re all anxiously hoping that there will be regularity and ability of delivery of goods” to people in small communities where many of the UNPFA’s staff are women, she said.

“We have said that we want to be able to maintain a functioning health system.

“(It’s) pretty challenging right now with the airport having been closed, with certain professionals who have left the country,” Kanem added.

She warned that if the health system breaks down, that’s going to spell “complete disaster,” but added that for the most part the agency’s family health centers have remained open.

The UN on Wednesday released $45 million in emergency aid to support Afghanistan’s health system.



Russia Says Four Killed, 35 Children Wounded in Ukrainian Attack on Luhansk Region

A damaged building of the Starobilsk College of Luhansk Pedagogical University following an overnight attack, what Russian-installed authorities called a Ukrainian drone strike, in the course of the Russia-Ukraine conflict in the town of Starobilsk (Starobelsk) in the Luhansk region, a Russian-controlled area of Ukraine, May 22, 2026. Leonid Pasechnik, head of the Russian-controlled parts of the Luhansk Region/Handout via REUTERS
A damaged building of the Starobilsk College of Luhansk Pedagogical University following an overnight attack, what Russian-installed authorities called a Ukrainian drone strike, in the course of the Russia-Ukraine conflict in the town of Starobilsk (Starobelsk) in the Luhansk region, a Russian-controlled area of Ukraine, May 22, 2026. Leonid Pasechnik, head of the Russian-controlled parts of the Luhansk Region/Handout via REUTERS
TT

Russia Says Four Killed, 35 Children Wounded in Ukrainian Attack on Luhansk Region

A damaged building of the Starobilsk College of Luhansk Pedagogical University following an overnight attack, what Russian-installed authorities called a Ukrainian drone strike, in the course of the Russia-Ukraine conflict in the town of Starobilsk (Starobelsk) in the Luhansk region, a Russian-controlled area of Ukraine, May 22, 2026. Leonid Pasechnik, head of the Russian-controlled parts of the Luhansk Region/Handout via REUTERS
A damaged building of the Starobilsk College of Luhansk Pedagogical University following an overnight attack, what Russian-installed authorities called a Ukrainian drone strike, in the course of the Russia-Ukraine conflict in the town of Starobilsk (Starobelsk) in the Luhansk region, a Russian-controlled area of Ukraine, May 22, 2026. Leonid Pasechnik, head of the Russian-controlled parts of the Luhansk Region/Handout via REUTERS

Russian officials said at least four people had been killed and 35 children wounded in an overnight Ukrainian drone attack on a student dormitory in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region in eastern Ukraine.

Reuters was not able to verify what happened independently and there was no immediate comment on Friday from Ukraine, which wants to recapture Luhansk, one of four eastern regions ‌that Moscow unilaterally ‌claimed as its own in ‌2022 ⁠in what Kyiv denounced ⁠as an illegal land grab.

Both sides deny deliberately targeting civilians.

Yana Lantratova, Russia's Human Rights Commissioner, said that 86 teenagers aged 14 to 18 had been asleep inside the hostel belonging to Luhansk Pedagogical University's Starobilsk college when Ukrainian drones attacked it ⁠during the night.

Leonid Pasechnik, the top ‌Russian-installed official in Luhansk, ‌said two people had been pulled from the rubble ‌and that rescue workers were still looking for ‌children trapped beneath the debris.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov called for those responsible to be punished.

"This is a monstrous crime. An attack on an educational institution where children and ‌young people are present," Peskov told reporters.

"The most important thing now is to ⁠take ⁠measures to clear the rubble and provide assistance to those who are still trapped beneath it."

Photographs and video released by the Russian authorities showed rescue workers stretchering one man out of the rubble, severely damaged buildings - one of which appeared to have partially collapsed - and fires still burning.

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy last week promised retribution after laying red roses at the rubble of a Kyiv apartment building where a Russian missile strike had killed 24 people, including three children.


Trump Pledges Extra Troops for Poland

President Donald Trump speaks during an event in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, May 21, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
President Donald Trump speaks during an event in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, May 21, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
TT

Trump Pledges Extra Troops for Poland

President Donald Trump speaks during an event in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, May 21, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
President Donald Trump speaks during an event in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, May 21, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

US President Donald Trump surprised NATO allies by pledging to send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, only hours before Secretary of State Marco Rubio was to meet alliance ministers in Sweden on Friday amid deep divisions over the Iran war.

Trump, in a Truth Social post, cited his relationship with Poland's conservative nationalist president, Karol Nawrocki, as the reason behind his decision to send additional troops.

"Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland," Trump said in the post.

It was a surprising turnabout after weeks in which Trump fiercely criticized NATO members ⁠for not doing ⁠more to help the US-Israeli military campaign.

He has said he is considering withdrawing from the alliance and questioned whether Washington was bound to honor its mutual defense pact.

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said that Trump's decision regarding the presence of ⁠American troops in Poland ⁠is "good news for Poland and the ⁠USA."

"I thank everyone involved in this matter, President (of Poland) Nawrocki, ministers, congressmen, and friends of Poland in the USA ⁠for ⁠their effectiveness and unity of action," he wrote on the X platform.

Poland will certainly not lose any US troops, and could gain either in terms ⁠of having more troops ⁠or a permanent US presence ⁠in the country, Defense Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz said on Friday.

"One thing is certain, Poland is certainly ⁠not ⁠losing what it had - around 10,000 soldiers," he told reporters.


Explosion at Hungary Petrochemical Plant Kills 1, Injures 7

The police force on the front lines as Hungary prepares to enact new rules the government says will bring a halt to the illegal flow of migrants. (Reuters)
The police force on the front lines as Hungary prepares to enact new rules the government says will bring a halt to the illegal flow of migrants. (Reuters)
TT

Explosion at Hungary Petrochemical Plant Kills 1, Injures 7

The police force on the front lines as Hungary prepares to enact new rules the government says will bring a halt to the illegal flow of migrants. (Reuters)
The police force on the front lines as Hungary prepares to enact new rules the government says will bring a halt to the illegal flow of migrants. (Reuters)

An explosion at a petrochemical plant in Hungary on Friday killed one person and injured several others, according to a statement by Hungarian energy company Mol Group, which owns the plant.

The explosion in Tiszaújváros, in eastern Hungary, occurred during a restart of the plant following maintenance, Prime Minister Péter Magyar said in a post on social media. He added that seven people had suffered burn injuries during the blast.

Five helicopters transported the injured to hospitals in the cities of Miskolc and Debrecen, according to Minister of Economy and Energy István Kapitány. In a social media post, Kapitány wrote that a disaster response mobile laboratory did not detect any concentrations of hazardous materials above the threshold limit.

Both Kapitány and Mol CEO Zsolt Hernádi are en route to the site of the explosion, Magyar said.

“We express our sincere condolences to the family of the deceased and wish the injured a speedy recovery,” Magyar wrote on Facebook.

A spokesperson for the regional disaster management authority told state news agency MTI that the fire caused by the explosion at the plant had been extinguished. Dávid Dojcsák said that cleanup operations were still underway and emergency units were securing the site.