Local, Int'l Concerns Mount after Beirut Clashes Amid Calls For Restraint

A Lebanese soldier accompanies civilians fleeing the crossfire in Beirut, Thursday, October 14. MOHAMED AZAKIR / REUTERS
A Lebanese soldier accompanies civilians fleeing the crossfire in Beirut, Thursday, October 14. MOHAMED AZAKIR / REUTERS
TT

Local, Int'l Concerns Mount after Beirut Clashes Amid Calls For Restraint

A Lebanese soldier accompanies civilians fleeing the crossfire in Beirut, Thursday, October 14. MOHAMED AZAKIR / REUTERS
A Lebanese soldier accompanies civilians fleeing the crossfire in Beirut, Thursday, October 14. MOHAMED AZAKIR / REUTERS

The International community expressed concern over Thursday’s security developments in Lebanon, urging all parties to exercise restraint.

The French foreign ministry said it was “deeply concerned” about the unrest in Beirut, calling for immediate “de-escalation”.

The ministry said the Lebanese judiciary must be able to work on their probe into the Beirut port explosion “in an independent and impartial manner”, noting that Lebanese authorities must “fully support” the investigation.

At least six people were killed and several others wounded in armed clashes that broke out in Beirut Thursday during a protest against the lead judge, Tarek Bitar, investigating last year’s massive blast in the city's port.

The protest outside the Justice Palace was called for by the Hezbollah group and its allies from the Amal movement, who are demanding a replacement for Bitar.

Joanna Wronecka, the United Nations Special Coordinator for Lebanon, expressed her concern about the violence in Beirut in a Twitter post, saying that it was crucial to show restraint and ensure the safety of citizens.

Spokesman for the Egyptian Foreign Ministry, Ahmed Hafez, stated that Egypt was following with great concern the developments in Lebanon, calling on all Lebanese parties to exercise restraint and to refrain from violence in order “to avoid the evils of sedition and to uphold the supreme national interest of Lebanon and its people.”

He also stressed that the government and state institutions should assume their responsibilities in managing the country, resolving crises and restoring stability.

Iraqi Shiite leader Muqtada al-Sadr urged the Lebanese sects to exercise restraint and stop internal fighting.

“The brothers in the Amal Movement, Hezbollah and the Lebanese sects should end differences and internal fighting, because this weakens the national rank and strengthens tutelage.”

Local officials and party leaders have also called on the government to put an end to the “dangerous insecurity.”

In a statement, Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdullatif Derian urged the Lebanese army and all security forces to control the situation and stop the clashes.

“The country is going through a dangerous stage that requires a national position uniting all Lebanese without exception, in order to save Lebanon, eliminate strife… and confront imminent dangers,” Derian remarked.

The Progressive Socialist Party (PSP) said that Thursday’s clashes were “unfortunate and very dangerous.”

Emphasizing “the right to peaceful demonstration within the framework of freedom of expression,” the party stressed that armed manifestations and shooting were “totally and completely rejected.”

For his part, Jaafari Mufti Sheikh Ahmed Qabalan blamed Bitar and the US embassy in Beirut for the eruption of clashes.

“Every bloodshed, sedition, threat to civil peace and security chaos that has occurred today on the defenseless protesters, is because of the American embassy and Judge Tarek Bitar, who must be dismissed, arrested and questioned severely…” he stated.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.