Hezbollah Vows to Hold Lebanese Forces Accountable for Last Week’s Clashes

Gunmen from the Amal movement and Hezbollah cross paths with Lebanese soldiers near clashes in the capital Beirut on October 14, 2021. (AFP)
Gunmen from the Amal movement and Hezbollah cross paths with Lebanese soldiers near clashes in the capital Beirut on October 14, 2021. (AFP)
TT

Hezbollah Vows to Hold Lebanese Forces Accountable for Last Week’s Clashes

Gunmen from the Amal movement and Hezbollah cross paths with Lebanese soldiers near clashes in the capital Beirut on October 14, 2021. (AFP)
Gunmen from the Amal movement and Hezbollah cross paths with Lebanese soldiers near clashes in the capital Beirut on October 14, 2021. (AFP)

Hezbollah officials have continued to hold the Lebanese Forces responsible for last week’s clashes in Beirut’s Tayyouneh area that left seven people dead and dozens wounded.

The LF, headed by Samir Geagea, has denied its involvement.

Head of Hezbollah’s parliamentary bloc, MP Mohammed Raad vowed on Sunday that the LF will be held accountable for the unrest.

Raad spoke of “LF deceit that was behind Thursday’s massacre,” vowing that they will be held to account.

“We will not be dragged towards civil war,” he stressed, however. “We will not threaten civil peace, but will not allow this blood to be shed in vain.”

The state, he urged, must investigate the unrest and hold the perpetrators accountable.

“We will wait and see what the state does, but we will not forget the innocent blood of our people,” he added.

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah is set to deliver a speech on Monday that will likely tackle last week’s violence that erupted when party supporters and their allies in the Amal movement were staging a protest against Judge Tarek Bitar, who is probing last year’s cataclysmic Beirut port explosion.

The judge has sought to question a number of senior politicians and security officials, including Hezbollah allies, suspected of negligence that led to the port explosion, which caused by a huge quantity of ammonium nitrate. All have denied wrongdoing.

Thursday’s protesters were demanding Bitar’s removal from the case.

The LF condemned Thursday’s events and blamed the violence on Hezbollah’s “incitement” against Bitar.

LF MP Fadi Saad told Asharq Al-Awsat that the confrontation between his party and Hezbollah revolves around their opposite visions for Lebanon.

The LF, he explained, believes in the country’s freedom, sovereignty and independence, while Hezbollah is following an Iranian agenda.

“We do not want a return of the dark [civil war] days, knowing that we were the first group to hand over our weapons and support the Taif Accords. Meanwhile, Hezbollah acts as though it is the supreme guide of Lebanon. We do not want Lebanon to turn into another Syria or Yemen,” stressed the MP.

Asked whether the LF possesses weapons to retaliate to Hezbollah should the confrontation turn violent, he replied: “We are not an organized armed group. We are an organized party. However, if Hezbollah or another party chooses to violate our dignity, then they will not like our response.”

“Hezbollah is dealt a setback whenever it thinks of using its weapons inside Lebanon and it is drawing closer to its end as an armed group. The developments in Tayyouneh are best evidence of that. They are blaming all sides while they should be the ones held to account because they were the ones who incited and called for the protest,” said Saad.

Pro-Hezbollah political analyst Kassem Kassir ruled out the possibility of a military confrontation erupting between the rival parties, while still acknowledging the tensions in the country.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that Hezbollah may file a complaint against the LF and Geagea and demand that the case be referred to the judicial council. The confrontation will be limited to the political, media, popular and judicial arenas.

He said Nasrallah’s speech will outline how the confrontation will next unfold.

On Sunday, Hezbollah MP Hassan Fadlallah slammed the clashes as “criminal aggression.”

He accused the aggressors of committing a “bloody massacre that will have major implications.”

“We know how to defend our blood,” he warned, accusing the LF of seeking to drag Lebanon towards civil war.

Moreover, he raised questions over the role of the security forces on Thursday.

“Why is it when we place our security in the hands of official security forces, we have martyrs fall on the streets?” he wondered. “This is a legitimate question, one that we will follow up on with the security agencies.”

He urged the security forces to act fast to arrest the suspects because the people are angry and want justice.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.