Erdogan Unbowed by Critics, Leaving Little Stopping Lira’s Collapse

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addresses his supporters during a ceremony in Istanbul, Turkey, November 5, 2021. (Reuters)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addresses his supporters during a ceremony in Istanbul, Turkey, November 5, 2021. (Reuters)
TT

Erdogan Unbowed by Critics, Leaving Little Stopping Lira’s Collapse

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addresses his supporters during a ceremony in Istanbul, Turkey, November 5, 2021. (Reuters)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addresses his supporters during a ceremony in Istanbul, Turkey, November 5, 2021. (Reuters)

Little stands in the way of Turkey's currency collapse expanding into a deeper economic crisis after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ignored appeals, even from within his government, to reverse policy, according to top officials and analysts.

Two people familiar with internal discussions said some government officials are uncomfortable with Erdogan's rate-cutting strategy and told him this. But they have not convinced him, and others have given up trying, they said.

This could set the stage for an intensifying showdown between rattled investors and local savers on one side and on the other, Erdogan - who has dismissed several ministers and top bureaucrats who previously were able to challenge and persuade him on some policy decisions.

"Some people who wanted to convey the opinion to the president that a different policy should be followed were not successful in this," said a senior official in the ruling AK Party, requesting anonymity.

"There is a very strict attitude from the presidency that the current practice will continue, interest rates will be kept low and inflation will decrease along with it."

The presidential office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Twice in the last week Erdogan has pledged publicly to see through his battle against high interest rates, dumping fuel on a fire sale of Turkish assets and sending the lira plunging as much as 23% in that period.

Though the currency recouped some losses on Wednesday, anxious Turks say the collapse has upended their family budgets and future plans.

Economists say if Erdogan doesn't reverse course and free up the central bank to hike rates, Turkey faces soaring inflation and possible corporate or bank defaults.

But unlike during 2018's currency crisis - when the central bank jacked up rates, albeit late, to stem the bleeding - there is little prospect of a quick intervention this time.

"The general view at the presidency is that if this policy continues for a few more months, the process will reverse and the exchange rate will fall ... so it appears it will remain in place," said the second source familiar with internal talks.

"The views of some officials ... who do not think these policies are right do not appear to be taken into consideration."

Goldman Sachs analyst Murat Unur said the risk of dollarization remains "very high" given the rush to purchase hard currencies, which already account for more than half of Turks' deposits.

"The current macroeconomic policy mix is not sustainable but the authorities have clearly shown that they prefer low rates and are willing to implement them even if this leads to significant pressure on the lira," he said in a note.

Erdogan unmoved

Erdogan has long espoused the unorthodox view that high interest rates cause inflation and has promised to prove the doubters wrong in what he calls an "economic war of independence" ahead of elections in 2023.

To test his theory, Erdogan has overhauled the central bank leadership and pressed it to slash the policy rate by 400 basis points since September, to 15%, despite inflation running near 20% - and much higher for basic goods like food.

Some of those who in the past advised Erdogan have recently criticized the monetary easing that the president says will stoke exports, investment and jobs.

Economists say inflation could blow through 30% unless steps are taken to reverse the currency depreciation, which raises import prices.

But there is no apparent circuit breaker, especially after Erdogan installed a like-minded governor, Sahap Kavcioglu, at the bank in March and fired the last remaining orthodox policymakers last month.

Treasury and Finance Minister Lutfi Elvan, also seen as a moderate, has kept out of the spotlight and there has been speculation he too could be ousted, though the Palace has not commented.

The central bank left the door open for another rate cut next month - a move Erdogan likely still supports.

Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum director Selva Demiralp said continued easing will only cancel out any benefits from higher demand.

"Even short term benefits from rate cuts cease to exist if the central bank insists on cutting rates and disregards inflation," said the former US Federal Reserve economist.

The central bank, already lacking credibility, said on Tuesday it would only intervene at times of "excessive volatility" - as the lira dove 15% in its second-worst day ever.

Analysts say authorities could redouble efforts to secure foreign currency swap lines from allies, which could help in any necessary interventions given official reserves remain thin.



Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has introduced greater flexibility into its investment environment, allowing government entities, under strict controls to safeguard spending efficiency and ensure the delivery of critical projects, to seek exceptions to contract with international companies that do not have regional headquarters in the kingdom.

The Local Content and Government Procurement Authority notified all government bodies of the mechanism to apply for exemptions through the Etimad digital platform.

The step is designed to balance enforcement of the “regional headquarters relocation” decision, in force since early 2024, with the needs of technically specialized projects or those driven by intense price competition.

Under a government decision that took effect at the start of 2024, state entities, including authorities, institutions and government-affiliated funds, are barred from contracting with any foreign commercial company whose regional headquarters in the region is located outside Saudi Arabia.

According to the information, the Local Content and Government Procurement Authority informed all entities of the rules governing contracts with companies that lack a regional headquarters in the kingdom and related parties.

Government entities may request an exemption from the committee for specific projects, multiple projects or a defined time period, provided the application is submitted before launching a tender or initiating direct contracting procedures.

Submission mechanism

In two circulars, the authority detailed how to submit exemption requests and clarified the cases in which contracting is permitted under the controls. It said the exemption service was launched on the Etimad platform in November 2025.

The service is available to entities that float tenders through Etimad. Requests for tenders launched before the service went live, as well as those issued outside the platform, will continue to follow the previously adopted process.

Etimad is the kingdom’s official financial services portal run by the Ministry of Finance, aimed at driving digital transformation of government procedures and boosting transparency and efficiency in managing budgets, contracts, payments, tenders and procurement. The platform streamlines transactions between state entities and the private sector.

Technical criteria

When issuing the contracting controls, the government made clear that companies without a regional headquarters in Saudi Arabia, or related parties, are not barred from bidding for public tenders.

However, their offers can only be accepted in two cases: if there is no more than one technically compliant bid, or if the offer ranks among the best technically and is at least 25% lower in price than the second-best bid after overall evaluation.

Contracts with an estimated value of no more than 1 million riyals ($266,000) are also exempt. The minister may, in the public interest, amend the threshold, cancel the exemption or suspend it temporarily.

More than 700 headquarters

More than 700 multinational companies had relocated their regional headquarters to Riyadh by early 2026, exceeding the initial target of attracting 500 companies by 2030. The program seeks to cement the kingdom’s position as a regional business hub and to localize global expertise.

When announcing the contracting ban, Saudi Arabia said the move was intended to incentivize foreign firms dealing with the government and its affiliated entities to adjust their operations.

It aims to create jobs, curb economic leakage, raise spending efficiency and ensure that key goods and services procured by government entities are delivered inside the kingdom with appropriate local content.

The government said the policy aligns with the objectives of the Riyadh 2030 strategy unveiled during the recent Future Investment Initiative forum, where 24 multinational companies announced plans to move their regional headquarters to the Saudi capital.

It stressed that the decision does not affect any investor’s ability to enter the Saudi economy or continue working with the private sector.

 


IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
TT

IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko

The International Monetary Fund on Thursday said its board ​would review a staff-level agreement for a new $8.1 billion lending program for Ukraine in coming days.

IMF spokeswoman Jule Kozack told reporters that Ukrainian authorities had completed the prior actions needed to move forward with the request ⁠of a new ⁠IMF program, including submission of a draft law on the labor code and adoption of a budget.

She said Ukraine's economic growth in 2025 ⁠was likely under 2%. After four years of war, the country's economy had settled into a slower growth path with larger fiscal and current account balances, she said, noting that the IMF continues to monitor the situation closely.

"Russia's invasion continues to take a ⁠heavy ⁠toll on Ukraine's people and its economy," Kozack said. Intensified aerial attacks by Russia had damaged critical energy and logistics infrastructure, causing disruptions to economic activity, Reuters quoted her as saying.

As of January, she said, 5 million Ukrainian refugees remained in Europe and 3.7 million Ukrainians were displaced inside the country.


US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
TT

US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Wall Street stocks retreated early Thursday as worries over US-Iran tensions lifted oil prices while markets digested mixed results from Walmart.

US oil futures rose to a six-month high as Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Islamic republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"We'd call this an undercurrent of concern that is bubbling up in oil prices," Briefing.com analyst Patrick O'Hare said of the "geopolitical angst."

About 10 minutes into trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.6 percent at 49,379.46, AFP reported.

The broad-based S&P 500 fell 0.5 percent to 6,849.35, while the tech-rich Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.6 percent to 22,621.38.

Among individual companies, Walmart rose 1.7 percent after reporting solid results but offering forecasts that missed analyst expectations.

Shares of the retail giant initially fell, but pushed higher after Walmart executives talked up artificial intelligence investments on a conference call with analysts.

The US trade deficit in goods expanded to a new record in 2025, government data showed, despite sweeping tariffs that Trump imposed during his first year back in the White House.