German Court Hands ISIS Member Life in Yazidi Genocide Case

30 November 2021, Hessen, Frankfurt_Main: Iraqi defendant Taha Al-J. (L) covers his face with a folder as he enters the courtroom of the Frankfurt's Higher Regional Court before a verdict is pronounced. Photo: Frank Rumpenhorst/dpa-Pool/dpa
30 November 2021, Hessen, Frankfurt_Main: Iraqi defendant Taha Al-J. (L) covers his face with a folder as he enters the courtroom of the Frankfurt's Higher Regional Court before a verdict is pronounced. Photo: Frank Rumpenhorst/dpa-Pool/dpa
TT

German Court Hands ISIS Member Life in Yazidi Genocide Case

30 November 2021, Hessen, Frankfurt_Main: Iraqi defendant Taha Al-J. (L) covers his face with a folder as he enters the courtroom of the Frankfurt's Higher Regional Court before a verdict is pronounced. Photo: Frank Rumpenhorst/dpa-Pool/dpa
30 November 2021, Hessen, Frankfurt_Main: Iraqi defendant Taha Al-J. (L) covers his face with a folder as he enters the courtroom of the Frankfurt's Higher Regional Court before a verdict is pronounced. Photo: Frank Rumpenhorst/dpa-Pool/dpa

A man was sentenced to life in prison by a German court on Tuesday in a landmark trial regarding crimes committed by ISIS against the Yazidi people in Iraq.

The Frankfurt Higher Regional Court found Taha Al-J, an Iraqi native whose full name was not released for legal reasons, guilty of genocide and a war crime resulting in the death of an enslaved Yazidi girl, the German News Agency (dpa) reported.

He must also pay damages of 50,000 euros (56,391 dollars) to the girl's mother.

Presiding judge Christoph Koller said it was the world's first verdict for crimes committed by ISIS against the Yazidi minority.

During the preliminary remarks on the reasons for the verdict, the defendant slumped in the courtroom and the session was interrupted.

Al-J was found guilty of having kept and abused a Yazidi woman and her daughter as slaves between July and September 2015. To punish the 5-year-old, he tied her to a window grate in the courtyard of the property in Fallujah in sweltering heat, where the child died of thirst.

Jennifer W, Al-J's former wife, was sentenced to 10 years in prison by the Munich Higher Regional Court in October. As a witness in the trial against Al-J, she had described her former husband as violent.

Al-J himself has not commented on the accusations against him.

Judge Koller spoke of the special meaning of the term genocide as a violation of international law. "Whoever violates this law violates the law of all states in the world," dpa quoted him as saying.

Therefore, even if neither the victim nor the perpetrator were German citizens and the crime had taken place outside Germany's borders, the Frankfurt court could pronounce justice.

Koller went into detail about the ideology of ISIS and the crimes against the Yazidis, about the enslavement of Yazidi women and girls, about rapes - which had been commonplace - and about the slave trade.

Al-J had shared the ideology, aimed at the destruction of the Yazidis, the court found.

Addressing the mother of the dead girl, Koller thanked the slender, stooped woman for testifying on a total of seven trial days. All those involved in the trial had been "deeply moved" by her account, he said. "We wish that you succeed in bearing your suffering and that you find peace," he said.

There was no exchange of glances between the mother, identified as Nora B, and Al-J during the pronouncement of the verdict.

Nora B, who according to the court still suffers severely from her experiences and requires psychological care, kept her eyes fixed on the ground. Al-J took notes and listened intently to his interpreters.

Al-J had accepted responsibility for the death of the child, but had not intended for her to die, the court stated in its verdict. He had tried to give the unconscious girl water and had taken her to a hospital.

Tuesday's verdict is not final. Immediately after the verdict was announced, the defense announced its intention to appeal.

A lawyer for Al-J spoke of a "very harsh sentence," adding, "We have the impression that our client has been sentenced vicariously for the atrocities of ISIS."

"Today's verdict has a strong signal effect beyond the individual case," the representative of the Office of the Attorney General of Germany stressed. "It is the first judgement in the world to establish that ISIS’ actions against members of the Yazidi religion amounted to genocide."

He said it was a warning to perpetrators of the most serious crimes under international law "that they can be held accountable - no matter where they are."



First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.


Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.