Palestinian PM Calls for Opening Israel's 1948 Archive

Palestinians seen during clashes with Israeli forces near Kafr Qaddoum in the West Bank on Friday, December 10, 2021. (AFP)
Palestinians seen during clashes with Israeli forces near Kafr Qaddoum in the West Bank on Friday, December 10, 2021. (AFP)
TT

Palestinian PM Calls for Opening Israel's 1948 Archive

Palestinians seen during clashes with Israeli forces near Kafr Qaddoum in the West Bank on Friday, December 10, 2021. (AFP)
Palestinians seen during clashes with Israeli forces near Kafr Qaddoum in the West Bank on Friday, December 10, 2021. (AFP)

Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh called for international intervention to halt Israeli settler terrorism against the Palestinian civilian population in the occupied territories.

Speaking at a weekly cabinet session on Monday, Shtayyeh said the government has sent letters to the United Nations and international human rights organizations, urging them to intervene to stop the acts of organized terrorism committed by Israeli settlers, protected by soldiers, and ensure protection for the Palestinian population.

He cited increased attacks in the Nablus-district villages of Burqa, Qaryout and Sebastia.

The premier held Israel fully responsible for this escalation and condemned its widespread and systematic shoot-to-kill policy targeting Palestinian civilians.

He called for disclosing the Israeli archives to an international commission of inquiry “to look into the massacres committed against our people in 1948 and the years that followed, the destruction of more than 480 towns and villages and the displacement of more than 900,000 Palestinians, who are still refugees.”

The investigation conducted earlier this month by some journalists, who took a look at the Israeli archives about the massacres, is the tip of the iceberg, Shtayyeh said.

Palestine’s oral and written history shows the extent of the massacres that were committed, he added, noting that thousands of survivors are still alive and can testify before an international commission.

Israel's Haaretz newspaper had published new testimonies and documents about unknown massacres committed during the 1948 Palestinian Nakba.

Its report was based on the letters of soldiers, unpublished contemporary memoirs, minutes of political party meetings and other historical records, which confirm that Israeli leaders were aware of the bloody events that took place during the occupation of Arab villages.

Separately, Shtayyeh said the government had concluded the resumed economic dialogue with the United States that was halted in 2016.

During the Palestinian-American dialogue that took place via videoconference, the Palestinian Authority said the political solution is the only way to end the conflict with Israel, underlining the importance of implementing international laws and resolutions.

The PA further stressed the need to protect the two-state solution, which Israel is systematically destroying through its colonial settlement programs.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.