Iraq Says it Paid Final Kuwait War Reparations

A British tank seen in Kuwait in 1991. Reuters file photo
A British tank seen in Kuwait in 1991. Reuters file photo
TT
20

Iraq Says it Paid Final Kuwait War Reparations

A British tank seen in Kuwait in 1991. Reuters file photo
A British tank seen in Kuwait in 1991. Reuters file photo

Iraq has paid its last war reparations to Kuwait more than 30 years since the invasion of the Gulf country by Saddam Hussein, officials said Thursday.

On August 2, 1990, Hussein ordered his army to invade Kuwait, before being pushed back seven months later by a US-led coalition.

"Iraq has closed the file of the Kuwait war reparations, having paid the last of its dues," Mozher Saleh, the prime minister's economic advisor, was quoted as saying by the official Iraqi News Agency.

In total, Iraq has paid $52.4 billion in reparations, he said.

"This is not a small amount," he added. "The sum would have been enough to construct an electricity network that would have served Iraq for many years."

Despite being rich in hydrocarbons, Iraq's electricity infrastructure has suffered from years of negligence and successive wars, facing regular power cuts, AFP reported.

Saleh said he hoped that the slice of budget previously allocated for reparations would now be directed to development projects.

The central bank announced Tuesday the payment of the final portion of the reparations, valued at $44 million.

The payments were suspended in 2014 when ISIS took over large swathes of Iraq but were resumed in 2018, following the group's defeat.

Funds for the reparations come from a five percent tax levied on sales of Iraq's petroleum and petroleum products.

The compensation is distributed by a UN agency to claimants who suffered losses or damages as a result of the invasion.



Emir of Kuwait, Iranian President Discuss Regional Developments

Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah. (KUNA)
Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah. (KUNA)
TT
20

Emir of Kuwait, Iranian President Discuss Regional Developments

Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah. (KUNA)
Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah. (KUNA)

Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah received on Wednesday a telephone call from Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on the occasion of the Eid al-Fitr holiday.

They discussed the strong bilateral ties that bind their nations and means to boost them across various fields, reported the Kuwaiti state news agency KUNA.

They also reviewed regional and international developments and issues of common interest.

Sheikh Meshal hailed the enduring ties between Kuwait and Iran, underscoring his keenness on developing them further to achieve more cooperation.

He wished Pezeshkian good health and Iran further progress.