Israel Launches New Settlement Plans

Israeli soldiers arrest a Palestinian man in Hebron on Friday. (EPA)
Israeli soldiers arrest a Palestinian man in Hebron on Friday. (EPA)
TT

Israel Launches New Settlement Plans

Israeli soldiers arrest a Palestinian man in Hebron on Friday. (EPA)
Israeli soldiers arrest a Palestinian man in Hebron on Friday. (EPA)

The Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) accused Israel of pushing new settlement plans in Jerusalem at the beginning of the new year, aiming to Judaize the city.

The PLO's National Office for Defending Land and Resisting Settlements said the occupied city of Jerusalem is witnessing continuous Judaization schemes.

It indicated that the Israeli government, the municipality and settlement associations are complicit with the Israeli judiciary in the settling plans aiming to limit the Palestinian presence in the city.

The office issued a report noting that the silent ethnic cleansing in and around the city continues for this year, stating that Prime Minister Naftali Bennett and Mayor Moshe Leon aim to bring about sweeping changes in the demographic balance of Jerusalem.

Since the beginning of the new year, Israeli authorities have approved five new plans to build 3,557 settlement units in the occupied city.

The report said one of the construction plans relates to building new settlement units between Har Homa and Givat HaMatos and another plan in the French Hill.

It warned that these plans are dangerous because they are concentrated in the southern area of ​​Jerusalem and include the establishment of a new settlement neighborhood that provides for 1,465 settlement units near Givat HaMatos and the Har Homa - Jabal Abu Ghneim.

The plans also include establishing 2,092 settlement units in the French Hill area in the center to separate the Jerusalem neighborhoods.

The report also referred to the plans to isolate the north, where there is a general and comprehensive Israeli plan to establish a settlement belt, starting from Qalandia, up to the eastern region (E1), and from Beit Safafa to Sur Baher town.

Meanwhile, the Israeli Ministry of Interior approved a large-scale support plan for the occupied West Bank settlements of 140 million shekels, a 70 percent increase compared to the additional settlements' budget last year.

The National Office reiterated Palestinian officials' accusations of the Israeli government pushing settlements and covering settler terrorism, saying it was the worst government and plots to destroy the two-state solution.

The Palestinian Foreign Ministry condemned the escalation in Israeli violations and crimes against Palestinians, their land, properties, homes, and holy sites throughout the West Bank.

The Foreign Ministry said that these violations are accompanied by the continued occupation of Israel and the Judaization of Jerusalem.

It warned that these attempts prove the Israeli government and its army want to end the Palestinian presence in occupied Jerusalem and the areas classified (C).

According to its statement, the Israeli government is in a race against time to implement Israel's colonial interests.

The Ministry said the Israeli government is fully and directly responsible for these violations and escalating crimes, warning of their disastrous consequences and repercussions on the conflict and regional and international efforts to establish confidence between the two sides.

The current Israeli government continues to marginalize the Palestinian cause and divert international attention away from it.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.