Egypt Rejoins JP Morgan Emerging Market Bond Index

General view of hotels, banks, and office buildings by the Nile River in Cairo (Reuters)
General view of hotels, banks, and office buildings by the Nile River in Cairo (Reuters)
TT
20

Egypt Rejoins JP Morgan Emerging Market Bond Index

General view of hotels, banks, and office buildings by the Nile River in Cairo (Reuters)
General view of hotels, banks, and office buildings by the Nile River in Cairo (Reuters)

Egypt joined the JP Morgan Emerging Market Bond Index (EMBI) Monday to become the second country in the Middle East and Africa to be listed in the index.

A press statement published by the government on its official Facebook page stated that with an estimated weight of 1.85 percent, Egypt is expected to enter the index with 14 bonds valued at $26 billion.

Finance Minister Mohamed Maait said that the Ministry has sought to enable Egypt to rejoin the EMBI for three years after the country had been removed from the index in June 2011 for not meeting requirements.

The Minister said Egypt had fulfilled the bank's requirements to rejoin the index, including extending the life of government debt, adjusting the yield curve, and promoting foreign investors' participation in government financial instruments.

Maait indicated that Egypt's accession to the JP Morgan government bond index for emerging markets is a new certificate of confidence from foreign investors in the solidity of the Egyptian economy.

The Minister explained that this confirms that 90 percent of the surveyed foreign investors supported Egypt's entry into the index.

The step reflects the continuous efforts of the Ministry of Finance to reduce the cost of public debt as part of the package of measures taken by the state for economic reforms, according to Maait.

Meanwhile, advisor to the Deputy Minister of Finance, Nevine Mansour, said Egypt would join the JP Morgan Environmental and Governance Index based on the launch of green bonds in October 2020.

Egypt's percentage in this index is 1.18 percent, reflecting the country's presence on the map of sustainable economies and the country's orientation towards green debt tools.

Deputy Minister of Finance for Financial Policies and Institutional Development Ahmed Kojak stated that Egypt's inclusion in the indicator translates the efforts of the Ministry of Finance and would contribute to achieving one of the Egyptian government's debt management strategy objectives, which is to reduce the cost of financing.

It also helps activate the stock market to increase its levels of liquidity and enhance the demand for government debt instruments, which would reduce its cost through the decline in the return required by investors.

Kajok expects Egypt to issue international bonds worth $5 billion in the 2022-2023 fiscal year, which begins next July.



China to US: 'Market Has Spoken' after Tariffs Spur Selloff

US and Chinese flags and a label with the word "34% Tariffs" are seen in this illustration taken, April 4, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
US and Chinese flags and a label with the word "34% Tariffs" are seen in this illustration taken, April 4, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT
20

China to US: 'Market Has Spoken' after Tariffs Spur Selloff

US and Chinese flags and a label with the word "34% Tariffs" are seen in this illustration taken, April 4, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
US and Chinese flags and a label with the word "34% Tariffs" are seen in this illustration taken, April 4, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

China said on Saturday "the market has spoken" in rejecting US President Donald Trump's tariffs, and called on Washington for "equal-footed consultation" after global markets plunged in reaction to the trade levies that drew Chinese retaliation.

Several Chinese commerce associations in industries from healthcare and textiles to electronics also issued statements on Saturday calling for unity in exploring alternative markets and saying the tariffs would worsen inflation in the United States.

Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan told public broadcaster RTHK, however, Hong Kong would not impose separate countermeasures, citing the need for the city to remain "free and open".

"The market has spoken," Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun said in a post on Facebook on Saturday. He also posted a picture capturing Friday's falls on US markets, Reuters reported.

Trump introduced additional 34% tariffs on Chinese goods as part of steep levies imposed on most US trade partners, bringing the total duties on China this year to 54%.

Trump also closed a trade loophole that had allowed low-value packages from China to enter the US duty-free.

This prompted retaliation from China on Friday, including extra levies of 34% on all US goods and export curbs on some rare earths, escalating the trade war between the world's two largest economies.

Global stock markets plummeted following China's retaliation and Trump's comments on Friday that he would not change course, extending sharp losses that followed Trump's initial tariff announcement earlier in the week and marking the biggest losses since the pandemic. For the week, the S&P 500 was down 9%.

"Now is the time for the US to stop doing the wrong things and resolve the differences with trading partners through equal-footed consultation," Guo wrote in English.

China's chamber of commerce, representing traders in food products, called on "China's food and agricultural products import and export industry to unite and strengthen cooperation to jointly explore domestic and foreign markets".

Hong Kong's Chan said it strongly opposes Trump's actions and would persist in being "free and open".

"Allowing a free flow of capital and acting as a free port are our advantages, and this will not change," Chan told public broadcaster RTHK.

"The rules-based multilateral trading system is our core," he said.