Lebanon Holds Muted Hariri Assassination Commemoration

Former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri gestures to his supporters after he paid his respects at the grave of his father, former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, on the 17th anniversary of his assassination in Beirut, Lebanon, Monday, Feb. 14, 2022. (AP)
Former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri gestures to his supporters after he paid his respects at the grave of his father, former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, on the 17th anniversary of his assassination in Beirut, Lebanon, Monday, Feb. 14, 2022. (AP)
TT

Lebanon Holds Muted Hariri Assassination Commemoration

Former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri gestures to his supporters after he paid his respects at the grave of his father, former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, on the 17th anniversary of his assassination in Beirut, Lebanon, Monday, Feb. 14, 2022. (AP)
Former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri gestures to his supporters after he paid his respects at the grave of his father, former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, on the 17th anniversary of his assassination in Beirut, Lebanon, Monday, Feb. 14, 2022. (AP)

In contrast to previous years, Lebanon held a muted commemoration of the anniversary of the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik al-Hariri.

His son and former PM Saad Hariri, several political figures, officials and Mustaqbal supporters converged on the late premier's grave in downtown Beirut to commemorate him.

Commemorations in the past were an occasion for the Musatqbal movement to hold political rallies and assert its position in Lebanon. This changed after Saad announced last month that he was suspending his political career and that he will not take part in the parliamentary elections set for May.

He has since departed Lebanon, but returned to commemorate his father's memory.

In brief remarks to the media on Monday, he said: "The Mustaqbal supporters are free to participate in the elections."

Before departing downtown, he waved to the crowd and political delegations, who chanted support to him.

Since the early hours, civilians and political figures headed to the grave to pay their respects to Rafik Hariri, who was killed 17 years ago in a massive bombing in Beirut.

Among the officials were Prime Minister Najib Mikati, former PM Fuad Siniora, Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi, Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Latif al-Derian at the head of a large delegation of religious scholars,, and head of the Progressive Socialist Party Walid Jumblatt.

"We are demanded to persevere and we will," said Jumblatt.

Mikati tweeted: "Hariri's memory will be a shining beacon in the history of this nation due to the great efforts he exerted in all fields. He made a difference that cannot be erased or diminished by his absence."

"During this critical time, we will especially remember his wisdom and determination in confronting all challenges and hardships. May God rest is soul," he added.

Derian said: "The commemoration of the martyr lies in preserving his ethical and national legacy and continuing along the path that he paved throughout his time in power and outside it and until his final breath."

"On the anniversary of his martyrdom, we stress that we will continue on his path and commit to a united Lebanon in defense of its security, safety and dignity," he vowed.

Head of the Lebanese Forces Samir Geagea said Rafik Hariri's assassination "was an attempt to assassinate a Lebanese political project that the martyr embodied through his vast network of relations."

These relations "helped reconnect Lebanon to major capitals, returned it to the Arab and international map, helped extract the country from war and led it towards reconstruction."

The moment the "resistance axis [Hezbollah, Syria and Iran] realized that martyr Hariri's achievements will inevitably lead to the rise of the state and withdrawal of the Syrian army, it assassinated him out of its belief that his removal will destroy his project," he added.

"Hariri's blood, however, united the Lebanese, Christians and Muslims alike, around his project and they revolted in millions on March 14, 2005 against the Syrian army, in pursuit of a sovereign Lebanese state and this will remain," he added.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.