Washington Increases Security, Defense Cooperation with Saudi Arabia

Secretary of State Antony Blinken speaks after viewing the "Burma's Path To Genocide" exhibit at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, Monday, March 21, 2022. (AP)
Secretary of State Antony Blinken speaks after viewing the "Burma's Path To Genocide" exhibit at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, Monday, March 21, 2022. (AP)
TT

Washington Increases Security, Defense Cooperation with Saudi Arabia

Secretary of State Antony Blinken speaks after viewing the "Burma's Path To Genocide" exhibit at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, Monday, March 21, 2022. (AP)
Secretary of State Antony Blinken speaks after viewing the "Burma's Path To Genocide" exhibit at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, Monday, March 21, 2022. (AP)

The United States has pledged to continue providing Saudi Arabia with the necessary means to defend its territories and repel attacks carried out by the Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen.

At the same time, it has demanded an immediate end to the war in Yemen and urged against targeting civilians and infrastructure in neighboring countries.

Saudi Arabia thwarted over the weekend Houthi attacks against a water desalination plant and an oil facility in Jizan, an Aramco petroleum distribution plant in Jeddah city, a power plant in Dhahran al-Janub, a gas plant in Khamis Mushait and an oil refinery in Yanbu.

An official at the US Defense Department told Asharq Al-Awsat that the US was committed to bolstering Saudi Arabia's security against "dangerous external threats". Speaking on condition of anonymity, he explained that defense cooperation was ongoing with Riyadh, as was the transfer of weapons, defense trade, training and other exchanges.

The official's comments confirm a Wall Street Journal report on Monday that said President Joe Biden's administration had transferred "a significant number of Patriot anti-missile interceptors" to Saudi Arabia in recent months.

The transfers sought to ensure that Saudi Arabia is adequately supplied with the defensive munitions it needs to fend off drone and missile attacks by the Houthis, a senior US official said.

A number of US officials had expressed their disappointment with the lack of sufficient American support to Saudi Arabia, as a strategic partner in the turbulent region, and for failing to do enough to rebel Houthi attacks.

US officials said the decision to send the interceptors had taken months because of the high demand for the weapons by other US allies and the need to go through normal vetting—not because the White House was deliberately delaying the resupply, reported the Journal. The interceptors sent to Saudi Arabia came from stockpiles of several other Gulf countries.

The decision to go ahead with the arms transfer was part of an effort by the Biden administration to rebuild its relationship with Riyadh. The US hopes Saudi Arabia will pump more oil to mitigate soaring crude prices.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken tweeted his condemnation of the latest Houthi attacks against Saudi Arabia. "We will continue to help Saudi Arabia defend its territory. Houthi attacks have targeted infrastructure, schools, mosques, and workplaces. These are attacks against civilians, and they must end," he urged.

US National security adviser Jake Sullivan said on Sunday that the US condemns the Houthi attacks against the Kingdom.

"The Houthis launch these terrorist attacks with enabling by Iran, which supplies them with missile and UAV components, training, and expertise. This is done in violation of UN Security Council resolutions prohibiting the import of weapons into Yemen," he said in a statement.

"Saudi Arabia and the Yemeni Government have endorsed multiple UN calls for ceasefires and de-escalation over the last year. The Houthis have rejected these calls, responding instead with new offensives in Yemen and terrorist acts, such as those launched against Saudi Arabia last night," he continued.

"It is time to bring this war to a close, but that can only happen if the Houthis agree to cooperate with the United Nations and its envoy working on a step-by-step a process to de-escalate the conflict," he remarked.



Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.


Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
TT

Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)

Princes and officials appointed by royal orders to their new positions took the oath of office before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in Riyadh on Tuesday.

They included Deputy Governor of Al-Baha Region Prince Fahd bin Saad bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz bin Turki; Member of the Shura Council Prince Dr. Saad bin Saud bin Mohammed bin Abdulaziz; Deputy Governor of Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud; Deputy Governor of Northern Borders Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz; and Minister of Investment Fahd Al-Saif.

They swore to be faithful to their religion, then their King and country, not to reveal any of the state’s secrets, to preserve its interests and regulations, and to perform their duties with honesty, trustworthiness, and sincerity.


Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)

The Saudi government condemned on Tuesday Israel’s decision to West Bank lands as "state lands."

Reiterating its absolute rejection of these illegal measures, the Cabinet warned that they undermine peace efforts and violate the Palestinian people's inherent right to establish an independent, sovereign state within the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chaired the Cabinet session that was held in Riyadh.

The Cabinet congratulated citizens and Muslims on the advent of the holy month of Ramadan, expressing gratitude for the Kingdom's honor in caring for the two holy mosques and their visitors.

The Cabinet highlighted the success of the Hajj and Umrah seasons, noting that the Kingdom welcomed 19.5 million international pilgrims and Umrah performers in 2025, setting new records that reflect rapid progress toward the goals of Vision 2030 and the Pilgrim Experience Program.

The Cabinet described the Kingdom's Founding Day celebration on February 22 as an expression of pride in the Saudi state's nearly three-century history, underscoring the foundations of justice, unity, and development established by leaders and citizens throughout history to ensure the nation remains a global leader in all fields.

The Cabinet was briefed on recent talks between Saudi Arabia and various nations, which focused on strengthening bilateral and multilateral cooperation and boosting coordination to foster regional and international security, stability, and prosperity.

The session further reviewed the Kingdom's economic, cultural, and social activities, stressing the state's commitment to social solidarity and giving. This includes continued support for the sixth National Campaign for Charitable Work, set to begin on Friday.

The Cabinet commended the success of the third World Defense Show held in Riyadh under the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques' patronage, during which strategic partnerships, agreements, and memoranda of understanding were signed to localize military technologies and strengthen local supply chains in alignment with Vision 2030 objectives.