Court Charges Geagea over Beirut Violence

LF leader Samir Geagea speaks during an interview with Reuters at his home in Maarab in the mountains overlooking the seaside town of Jounieh, October 31, 2014. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
LF leader Samir Geagea speaks during an interview with Reuters at his home in Maarab in the mountains overlooking the seaside town of Jounieh, October 31, 2014. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
TT
20

Court Charges Geagea over Beirut Violence

LF leader Samir Geagea speaks during an interview with Reuters at his home in Maarab in the mountains overlooking the seaside town of Jounieh, October 31, 2014. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
LF leader Samir Geagea speaks during an interview with Reuters at his home in Maarab in the mountains overlooking the seaside town of Jounieh, October 31, 2014. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir

A military court has charged Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea over deadly clashes in Beirut last October, a judicial source said on Thursday, a move that could stoke political tension two months before an election.

An LF official in said the charge against him was political, and the investigation into the violence had been political from the start.

Judge Fadi Akiki told Al Jadeed TV he had charged Geagea two days ago based on "new information" relating to the Teyouneh events, a reference to Beirut's deadliest street violence in a decade. Reuters could not immediately reach Akiki for comment.

Seven people, all of them followers of Hezbollah and Amal Movement, were killed in the Oct. 14 clashes near an old frontline of the 1975-90 civil war.

Any attempt to arrest Geagea would likely be resisted by his party, creating the potential for trouble just two months before the parliamentary election, said Mohanad Hage Ali of the Carnegie Middle East Center.

Geagea was summoned to a hearing at military intelligence last October over the violence, but did not attend.

The Oct. 14 violence began as people were gathering for a protest called by Hezbollah against the judge investigating the 2020 Beirut port blast.

Hezbollah, which is heavily armed and backed by Iran, accused the LF of mounting an ambush and perpetrating the killing to try to drag the country to a civil war.

Geagea has strongly denied this, saying the trouble began when supporters of the Shiite parties entered the Christian neighborhood of Ain al-Remmaneh where they vandalized cars and four residents were wounded before a shot was fired.



Rubio Says US is Revoking all Visas Held by South Sudanese Passport Holders

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
TT
20

Rubio Says US is Revoking all Visas Held by South Sudanese Passport Holders

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday that the United States was revoking all visas held by South Sudanese passport holders, accusing the African nation's government of “taking advantage of the United States.”
“Every country must accept the return of its citizens in a timely manner when another country, including the United States, seeks to remove them,” Rubio said in a statement, adding that “South Sudan’s transitional government has failed to fully respect this principle."
Besides revoking visas, Rubio said the US would "prevent further issuance to prevent entry into the United States by South Sudanese passport holders.”
South Sudan’s political landscape is fragile and recent violence between government troops and armed opposition groups has escalated tensions, The Associated Press said.
Last week, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged regional and international leaders to prevent South Sudan from falling “over the abyss” into another civil war.
Guterres warned that the world’s newest and one of its poorest countries is facing “a security emergency” with intensifying clashes and a “political upheaval” culminating with last week’s arrest by the government of First Vice President Riek Machar.