A Yemeni military commander survived on Sunday an assassination attempt in the interim capital Aden.
Commander of joint operations at the Aden-based 4th Military Zone Saleh Ali Hassan's convoy was the target of a car bombing as it was traveling the main street in the al-Maala district.
His armored vehicle helped protect him and he was unharmed.
The booby-trapped car exploded as soon as his car approached, with witnesses telling Asharq Al-Awsat that the explosion rocked the main port area and the district's main police station.
A security official told Asharq Al-Awsat that the attack was similar to mode of operation of the Iran-backed Houthi militias.
They had used the same style of attack in previous assassinations, he said.
A police official remarked that the Aden attack was aimed at destabilizing the image of security in the interim capital and impact the positive atmosphere that has prevailed in wake of last month's intra-Yemeni consultations in Riyadh and the formation of the Presidential Leadership Council.
He added that the Houthis had the most to lose from the formation of the council and the most to gain from the destabilization in Aden and other government-held regions.
He revealed that the security agencies, in cooperation with the Saudi-led Arab coalition, have managed to thwart several plots and they are capable of thwarting more.
The Houthis will not succeed, he vowed.