Saudi Arabia Extends 2018 Deposit at Yemen Central Bank, Pays Final Installment

A view of the coastal area of Aden, Yemen September 4, 2018. Picture taken September 4, 2018. (Reuters)
A view of the coastal area of Aden, Yemen September 4, 2018. Picture taken September 4, 2018. (Reuters)
TT
20

Saudi Arabia Extends 2018 Deposit at Yemen Central Bank, Pays Final Installment

A view of the coastal area of Aden, Yemen September 4, 2018. Picture taken September 4, 2018. (Reuters)
A view of the coastal area of Aden, Yemen September 4, 2018. Picture taken September 4, 2018. (Reuters)

Saudi Arabia on Monday extended a deposit it gave the central bank of Yemen's legitimate government in 2018, and agreed to pay the final installment of the promised $2 billion, the central bank and Saudi ambassador to Yemen said.

The Saudi finance ministry said the 2018 deposit duration would be extended and this would support Yemen's currency and economic situation.

The central bank, now based in Aden which is the interim headquarters of Yemen's government, said the final installment which would be paid amounted to $174 million.

Saudi Arabia last month said it would arrange a new support package of $3 billion for Yemen's economy: $2 billion from Riyadh and another $1 billion from the United Arab Emirates, also part of the coalition.

Riyadh's ambassador to Yemen Mohammed al-Jaber said on Twitter governance and technical discussions were taking place about a new $2 billion deposit that would come from the UAE and Saudi money.

The conflict has caused a serious devaluation of Yemen's currency and a shortage of foreign reserves, and has created what that United Nations calls the world's largest humanitarian crisis.



GCC Sec-Gen Condemns Israeli Minister's Storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque as Blatant Violation

Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Secretary-General Jasem Albudaiwi
Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Secretary-General Jasem Albudaiwi
TT
20

GCC Sec-Gen Condemns Israeli Minister's Storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque as Blatant Violation

Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Secretary-General Jasem Albudaiwi
Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Secretary-General Jasem Albudaiwi

Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Secretary-General Jasem Albudaiwi stressed that the storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by an Israeli minister and several extremist settlers constitutes a blatant violation of Islamic sanctities and reflects the occupation forces’ intent to continue destabilizing security and stability in the Palestinian territories, SPA reported.
Albudaiwi pointed out that these repeated incursions by settlers and Israeli officials into the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque represent a serious breach of international law and the existing historical and legal status quo of Jerusalem and its sanctities.
He highlighted that this act is a clear and blatant violation of the sanctity of Al-Aqsa Mosque, a provocation to the sentiments of Muslims, and an escalation that exacerbates tensions in the region, pushing the situation into a continuous cycle of violence.