Putin Promises to Bolster Russia’s IT Security in Face of Cyber Attacks

Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting with members of the Security Council via teleconference call at the Novo-Ogaryovo state residence outside Moscow, Russia, Friday, May 20, 2022. (AP)
Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting with members of the Security Council via teleconference call at the Novo-Ogaryovo state residence outside Moscow, Russia, Friday, May 20, 2022. (AP)
TT

Putin Promises to Bolster Russia’s IT Security in Face of Cyber Attacks

Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting with members of the Security Council via teleconference call at the Novo-Ogaryovo state residence outside Moscow, Russia, Friday, May 20, 2022. (AP)
Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting with members of the Security Council via teleconference call at the Novo-Ogaryovo state residence outside Moscow, Russia, Friday, May 20, 2022. (AP)

President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that the number of cyber attacks on Russia by foreign "state structures" had increased several times over and that Russia must bolster its cyber defenses by reducing the use of foreign software and hardware.

The websites of many state-owned companies and news websites have suffered sporadic hacking attempts since Russia sent its armed forces into Ukraine on Feb. 24, often to show information that is at odds with Moscow's official line on the conflict.

"Targeted attempts are being made to disable the internet resources of Russia's critical information infrastructure," Putin said, adding that media and financial institutions had been targeted.

"Serious attacks have been launched against the official sites of government agencies. Attempts to illegally penetrate the corporate networks of leading Russian companies are much more frequent as well," he said.

In a meeting with the Security Council, Putin said that Russia would need to improve information security in key sectors and switch to using domestic technology and equipment.

"Restrictions on foreign IT, software and products have become one of the tools of sanctions pressure on Russia," Putin said. "A number of Western suppliers have unilaterally stopped technical support of their equipment in Russia."

He said cases of programs getting blocked after being updated were becoming more frequent.

Data leaks
State communications regulator Roskomnadzor on Wednesday said it had blocked a website that was hosting the personal data of a number of companies' clients. It did not name the companies. Russia's second-biggest bank VTB was quoted by media as saying some customers' phone numbers had been leaked but there was no risk to their funds.

E-commerce player Wildberries and online marketplace Avito denied reports in Russian media that their data had been leaked.

A data leak in early March exposed the personal details of more than 58,000 people on tech giant Yandex's food delivery app, Yandex.Eda.

Yandex.Eda competitor Delivery Club on Friday apologized to users after it suffered a data leak on orders placed by users.

"The data includes information about orders and does not affect bank details. We are doing our best to prevent the dissemination of the data," TASS news agency quoted the company as saying.

Hacking attacks this month kept video-hosting site RuTube offline for three days and altered satellite television menus in Moscow on Victory Day, when Russia celebrated the 77th anniversary of the Soviet Union's victory over Nazi Germany.

Moscow has long sought to improve its domestic internet infrastructure, even disconnecting itself from the global internet during tests last summer.

However, the unprecedented Western barrage of sanctions imposed in response to Moscow's military campaign in Ukraine has increased the pressure to make Russia's IT systems more resilient.



German Regulator: Apple to Change App Data Consent Rules

FILE PHOTO: People walk past a booth showcasing Apple's suppliers during the China International Supply Chain Expo (CISCE) in Beijing, China June 22, 2026. REUTERS/Florence Lo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: People walk past a booth showcasing Apple's suppliers during the China International Supply Chain Expo (CISCE) in Beijing, China June 22, 2026. REUTERS/Florence Lo/File Photo
TT

German Regulator: Apple to Change App Data Consent Rules

FILE PHOTO: People walk past a booth showcasing Apple's suppliers during the China International Supply Chain Expo (CISCE) in Beijing, China June 22, 2026. REUTERS/Florence Lo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: People walk past a booth showcasing Apple's suppliers during the China International Supply Chain Expo (CISCE) in Beijing, China June 22, 2026. REUTERS/Florence Lo/File Photo

Apple will change rules governing how app developers can use personal data for targeted advertising on iPhones and iPads, Germany's competition authority said on Monday, closing a years-long investigation.

The Federal Cartel Office found that Apple's App Tracking Transparency framework gave its own apps more favorable consent prompts than those of third-party developers, potentially breaching competition rules.

Apple has four ⁠months to implement ⁠the changes after the decision is served. Commitments run for seven years and will be monitored by a trustee.

Under the commitments, consent pop-ups for third-party apps must be redesigned ⁠to remove discouraging language and symbols, and made visually and linguistically neutral.

Third-party app publishers will also gain more flexibility to combine Apple's required consent request with separate data-protection consent prompts.

According to Reuters, Apple said the changes would apply in almost all European Union countries and that it had adapted the text and design of the ⁠consent ⁠prompt at the authority's request.

Developers of third-party apps, including Facebook parent Meta Platforms, aim for accurate user data so that targeted adverts can be displayed on devices. These generate more revenue than broader campaigns.

France and Italy have already fined Apple €150 million and €98.6 million, respectively, over the ATT framework.


AI Market Correction is Coming, ECB Blog Predicts

FILE PHOTO: European Union flags flutter outside the European Central Bank (ECB) headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, March 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Union flags flutter outside the European Central Bank (ECB) headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, March 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
TT

AI Market Correction is Coming, ECB Blog Predicts

FILE PHOTO: European Union flags flutter outside the European Central Bank (ECB) headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, March 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Union flags flutter outside the European Central Bank (ECB) headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, March 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo

A market correction to tech stock exuberance in the US is likely and could have far-reaching consequences due to limits in fiscal and monetary policy buffers to blunt the potential economic hit, a European Central Bank blog post said on Monday.

Investors have been piling into technology stocks on bets that AI will fundamentally alter the global economy, and valuations for top tech companies are now far above historic averages.

"Economic research on past technological revolutions points to a worrisome conclusion: a correction of current stock market valuations is likely," said ⁠the blog post, ⁠which does not necessarily reflect the ECB's opinion.

Even if the technology succeeds and profits rise, stocks may still fall because it is hard to fulfil markets' excessively optimistic profit growth bets, the post added.

Psychological trends also point to a correction, ⁠the blog argued. Overly optimistic investors tend to bid up prices beyond fundamentals. Then when optimism fades, prices tend to fall even more sharply than in the rational scenario, the post said.

For Europe, a US market correction would be a question of financial stability since households have a €440 billion exposure to so-called Magnificent Seven stocks - Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Meta Platforms, Microsoft, Nvidia and Tesla -while pension and insurance firms' exposure is about the same.

"The more severe ⁠scenario is ⁠not the equity correction on its own but a correction that coincides with broader market instability that policymakers cannot easily calm: unlike in the dot-com episode, today's starting point leaves markedly less room to cut interest rates or use fiscal policy to cushion the fallout," Reuters quoted the blog as saying.

While European stock valuations appear more rational, market moves closely correlate with the US, so local equities will also take a hit, the blog said, adding that the exact timing of the correction "is unknowable in advance".

"These boom-bust patterns are only identifiable with hindsight," it said.


France's Top Court Blocks Social Media Ban for under-15s

(FILES) This photograph shows a set up smart-phone screen displaying the logo of main social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit, Telegram, X, Bluesky, Tiktok and Whatsapp in Saint-Mande, east of Paris, on April 29, 2026. On August 14, 2026, the French Constitutional Council struck down the ban on social media for under-15s, ruling that this measure constitutes "a disproportionate infringement" of their freedom of expression. (Photo by Martin LELIEVRE / AFP)
(FILES) This photograph shows a set up smart-phone screen displaying the logo of main social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit, Telegram, X, Bluesky, Tiktok and Whatsapp in Saint-Mande, east of Paris, on April 29, 2026. On August 14, 2026, the French Constitutional Council struck down the ban on social media for under-15s, ruling that this measure constitutes "a disproportionate infringement" of their freedom of expression. (Photo by Martin LELIEVRE / AFP)
TT

France's Top Court Blocks Social Media Ban for under-15s

(FILES) This photograph shows a set up smart-phone screen displaying the logo of main social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit, Telegram, X, Bluesky, Tiktok and Whatsapp in Saint-Mande, east of Paris, on April 29, 2026. On August 14, 2026, the French Constitutional Council struck down the ban on social media for under-15s, ruling that this measure constitutes "a disproportionate infringement" of their freedom of expression. (Photo by Martin LELIEVRE / AFP)
(FILES) This photograph shows a set up smart-phone screen displaying the logo of main social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit, Telegram, X, Bluesky, Tiktok and Whatsapp in Saint-Mande, east of Paris, on April 29, 2026. On August 14, 2026, the French Constitutional Council struck down the ban on social media for under-15s, ruling that this measure constitutes "a disproportionate infringement" of their freedom of expression. (Photo by Martin LELIEVRE / AFP)

France's top court on Friday blocked a bill banning social media access for under-15s, saying it infringed upon freedom of expression, a setback for President Emmanuel Macron who asked his government to rewrite the legislation.

"By prohibiting minors under the age of fifteen from accessing certain online services, the law inherently requires every person, even an adult, to prove their age before accessing them," the Constitutional Council said in its decision.

"However, by failing to specify the conditions and limits under which such proof must be provided, the legislature has not established the legal safeguards necessary to ensure compliance with these requirements," it added. French lawmakers had approved a ban on social media access for children under age 15, becoming the first in Europe to follow Australia, whose world-first ban barred access to platforms including Facebook, TikTok and YouTube for under-16s in December.

Macron has ordered Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu to re-work the draft legislation to take the Constitutional Council's concerns into account, the Elysee said in a statement.

The Elysee said Macron was determined the reform take effect before spring 2027, when France holds a presidential election. Macron cannot run for a third term.