Blinken Promises Abbas that Demands Will Be Discussed during Biden’s Regional Tour

Abbas meets with Blinken in Ramallah in March 2022 (Wafa news agency)
Abbas meets with Blinken in Ramallah in March 2022 (Wafa news agency)
TT

Blinken Promises Abbas that Demands Will Be Discussed during Biden’s Regional Tour

Abbas meets with Blinken in Ramallah in March 2022 (Wafa news agency)
Abbas meets with Blinken in Ramallah in March 2022 (Wafa news agency)

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken pressed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to refrain from taking decisions and measures against Israel, pending the arrival of US President Joe Biden to the region.

Blinken called Abbas amid a state of frustration in Ramallah, as the latter had begun consultations with his advisers and members of the political leadership, in order to activate the decisions of the Palestinian Central Council, which include - among others - severing relations with Israel and freezing its recognition.

The US State Secretary wanted to contain the Palestinian anger, after Abbas told him that he could no longer tolerate the current situation, complaining about the absence of international protection for the Palestinian people, and Israel’s denial of its obligations under signed agreements and resolutions of international legitimacy.

Abbas told Blinken that the Palestinian leadership was in the process of taking measures to confront the Israeli escalation, “in light of the international community’s inability to compel Israel to comply with international legitimacy resolutions, and stop its criminal and occupying practices and its ethnic cleansing and racial discrimination measures, amid an American silence.”

Among other requests, Abbas raised the issue of removing the PLO from the US terrorism list, and reopening the US consulate in East Jerusalem, as well as the PLO office in Washington, as a full and committed partner in the peace process.

Blinken responded by emphasizing the commitment of Biden’s administration to a two-state solution, ending settlement expansion, preserving the status quo, stopping the expulsion of Palestinians from Jerusalem neighborhoods, and putting an end to unilateral actions on both sides.

He also tried to reassure Abbas of the administration’s commitment to reopening the US consulate in Jerusalem.

The US official told Abbas that the administration would send a high-level delegation to prepare for Biden’s visit, and promised him to discuss all of his requests. He also stressed the US determination to improve the situation for the Palestinians.

Moreover, Blinken underlined “the US administration’s keenness to investigate the murder of journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, and to prosecute and hold the killers accountable.”

Blinken’s reassurances came following a meeting held by Abbas with his advisers and officials, to discuss decisions to pressure Israel, the United States and other international parties, to launch a political process, in light of the escalation of the Israeli attack on the Palestinians.

Earlier this week, State Department spokesman Ned Price confirmed that the United States was committed to opening its consulate in Jerusalem.

“We continue to believe it can be an important way for our country to engage with and provide support to the Palestinian people,” Price told reporters during a briefing.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.