Reza Pahlavi: Unity of Iran's Popular Forces More Important than Unity of the Opposition

Iran’s Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi.
Iran’s Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi.
TT

Reza Pahlavi: Unity of Iran's Popular Forces More Important than Unity of the Opposition

Iran’s Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi.
Iran’s Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi.

Reza Pahlavi, Iran’s Crown Prince, delivered an address to the Iranian people from Washington DC on June 3.

The biggest alternative to the Islamic Republic are the Iranian people who continue their protests despite oppressive measures of the Iranian regime and shutting down of the internet, Pahlavi said at the press conference that was attended by reporters and political activists.

Asking the military and armed forces to stand by the Iranian people, he stressed that the Iranians abroad should be a voice for the people of Iran.

They should subtitle the videos coming from Iran in the language of the countries they reside in and ask the politicians in their countries to support the protests of Iranian people, Pahlavi added.

Pahlavi’s message was being broadcast live from social media and also Persian-language media based abroad. He also responded to questions by reporters.

Camelia Entekhabifard, Independent Persian’s Editor-in-Chief, was among the attendees and asked: “As you know, in gatherings and protests, many groups speak of you and the Pahlavi dynasty. Given the popularity and influence you have amongst the people, why have you not been able to form a coherent organization consisting of anti-regime political opponents? You spoke of effective strategies inside the country. Please tell us what effective international strategies do you suggest for other countries and the world to recognize the protest movement of Iranian people for overthrowing of the regime? Finally, what’s your prediction of Iranian conditions in the coming year?”

“I believe the most useful thing I can do with my credibility and with the trust my fellow Iranians put in me is to support their demands, give voice to them and strengthen their forces,” Pahlavi replied.

“I don’t claim to be a political leader and give them a blueprint. I have tried for years to bring more coordination to the opposition. Although, the opposition was different in the past than today. My definition of the opposition then is also different from my definition today. As I have said before, today, the real opposition are people inside Iran.”

“The opposition’s previous factionalizing is not the main concern of people of Iran,” Pahlavi remarked.

“Thus, more important than the opposition is the unity of national and popular forces. The opposition that has failed to unite so far is of no use to the Iranian people. An opposition is useful when it knows that, for political competition in the future, it should first create common ground for a political system and popular sovereignty; a rule of law that they could politically compete under.”

“If everybody just does their own things and follows their own demands in a totalitarian way, it will never get anywhere. It won’t be constructive or useful but will bring sabotage.”

Speaking of today’s changed conditions, Pahlavi said: “Most of the people who will help run the country politically and administratively are currently inside Iran. Many of them are even inside the system. Their heart is not with the system and they don’t have an ideological belief in it. But they have come to the conclusion that that the regime is not the answer. Yesterday’s reformists are no longer seeking to reform the system; they must be able to join the secular-democratic forces.”

Continuing his answer to the Independent Persian, Pahlavi spoke of the need for “national solidarity and national reconciliation.”

“Those who seek a better tomorrow must not be separated from one another. We shouldn’t let people be left behind,” he urged.

“But those who have been partners in crime of this regime and have had a hand in crimes of the regime, whether politically or militarily, must be accountable before the Iranian people,” Iran’s heir to the throne demanded.

To reach a better future, events of the past should not be a “basis for enmity and opposition,” Pahlavi declared.

“The concern of youth who are losing their lives on the street is not focused on the decades-old differences of this or that political current. This is not their bread and butter. This won’t be an answer to them or a solution for their future.”

“I won’t waste a second of my time on people who are still part of the problem,” Pahlavi said. “I will dedicate all my time to those who want to be part of the solution. Even those who were revolutionaries yesterday. Everybody has the right to change their opinions. This is among the fundamental principles of freedom and human rights.”

Pahlavi continued: “The freedom we seek today will be reached if we seek the full potential of the Iranian people. There can be no basis for this other than unity and collaboration.”

“A win-win scenario would be to align the majority of society with this vision. A society will never ever be one hundred percent united. This hasn’t happened anywhere. But I believe that what is happening in Iran today and the demands of the Iranian people is the voice of a majority; So I don’t see why this solution won’t work.”

According to Pahlavi, the only people standing against the demands of the majority of the Iranian people for change are those “who seek to keep power for themselves the bitter end” and “their numbers is increasingly dwindling.”

He said the society itself had recognized “that the regime is scared” and this is why despite the oppression and killing, people today have less fear compared to the 2017 and 2019 movements. He said this was due to “the struggle waged every day by the Iranian people; a struggle in which we all have a role.”

Pahlavi said he had tried to play his own role in all the previous years: “I have always been a voice for my fellow Iranians. By giving advice and suggestions for joint work; By having relations with all political and civic currents in the country.”

“Most importantly, I have tried to do more listening from the people than talking to them. Whatever I’ve said has been based on my understanding from the demands of my fellow Iranians, especially the young generation. This is the future generation that will inherit the country.”

“I have tried to keep this torch burning for 40 years. We should pass it on to the next generation so that they won’t be without shelter, purpose and future. Iran will one day be ruled by this youth. They must know that they are not alone and have hope that the future is theirs; the cost they are bearing won’t be in vain.”



Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iranians shouted slogans against Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei on Tuesday as they gathered to commemorate protesters killed in a crackdown on nationwide demonstrations that rights groups said left thousands dead, according to videos verified by AFP.

The country's clerical authorities also staged a commemoration in the capital Tehran to mark the 40th day since the deaths at the peak of the protests on January 8 and 9.

Officials acknowledge more than 3,000 people died during the unrest, but attribute the violence to "terrorist acts", while rights groups say many more thousands of people were killed, shot dead by security forces in a violent crackdown.

The protests, sparked by anger over the rising cost of living before exploding in size and anti-government fervor, subsided after the crackdown, but in recent days Iranians have chanted slogans from the relative safety of homes and rooftops at night.

On Tuesday, videos verified by AFP showed crowds gathering at memorials for some of those killed again shouting slogans against the theocratic government in place since the 1979 revolution.

In videos geolocated by AFP shared on social media, a crowd in Abadan in western Iran holds up flowers and commemorative photos of a young man as they shout "death to Khamenei" and "long live the shah", in support of the ousted monarchy.

Another video from the same city shows people running in panic from the sounds of shots, though it wasn't immediately clear if they were from live fire.

In the northeastern city of Mashhad a crowd in the street chanted, "One person killed, thousands have his back", another verified video showed.

Gatherings also took place in other parts of the country, according to videos shared by rights groups.

- Official commemorations -

At the government-organized memorial in Tehran crowds carried Iranian flags and portraits of those killed as nationalist songs played and chants of "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" echoed through the Khomeini Grand Mosalla mosque.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attended a similar event at the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad.

Authorities have accused sworn enemies the United States and Israel of fueling "foreign-instigated riots", saying they hijacked peaceful protests with killings and vandalism.

Senior officials, including First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref and Revolutionary Guards commander Esmail Qaani, attended the ceremony.

"Those who supported rioters and terrorists are criminals and will face the consequences," Qaani said, according to Tasnim news agency.

International organizations have said evidence shows Iranian security forces targeted protesters with live fire under the cover of an internet blackout.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) has recorded more than 7,000 killings in the crackdown, the vast majority protesters, though rights groups warn the toll is likely far higher.

More than 53,500 people have been arrested in the ongoing crackdown, HRANA added, with rights groups warning protesters could face execution.

Tuesday's gatherings coincided with a second round of nuclear negotiations between Iran and the United States in Geneva, amid heightened tensions after Washington deployed an aircraft carrier group to the Middle East following Iran's crackdown on the protests.


Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)

An ‌independent United Nations body on Tuesday condemned what it described as vicious attacks based on disinformation by several European ministers against the organization's special rapporteur for Palestine, Francesca Albanese.

In the past week several European countries, including Germany, France and Italy, called for Albanese’s resignation over her alleged criticism of Israel. Albanese, an Italian lawyer, denies making the remarks.

On Friday, the Czech Republic's Foreign Minister Petr Macinka quoted Albanese on X as having called Israel a "common enemy of humanity", and he ‌also called for ‌her resignation.

A transcript of Albanese's remarks ‌made ⁠in Doha on ⁠February 7 seen by Reuters did not characterize Israel in this way, although she has consistently criticized the country in the past over the Gaza conflict.

The UN Coordination Committee - a body of six independent experts which coordinates and facilitates the work of Special Rapporteurs - accused European ministers of relying on "manufactured ⁠facts".

"Instead of demanding Ms. Albanese's resignation ‌for performing her mandate...these government representatives ‌should join forces to hold accountable, including before the International Criminal Court, ‌leaders and officials accused of committing war crimes and ‌crimes against humanity in Gaza," the Committee said.

It said the pressure exerted on Albanese was part of an increasing trend of politically motivated and malicious attacks against independent human rights experts, UN officials ‌and judges of international courts.

US President Donald Trump's administration imposed sanctions on Albanese after she wrote ⁠letters ⁠to US companies accusing them of contributing to gross human rights violations by Israel in Gaza and the West Bank.

UN experts are commissioned by the Geneva-based Human Rights Council to monitor and document specific human rights crises but are independent of the organization itself.

There is no precedent for removing a special rapporteur during their term, although diplomats said that states on the 47-member council could in theory propose a motion to do so.

However, they said strong support for Palestinian rights within the body means that such a motion was unlikely to pass.


US Plans to Deploy More Missile Launchers to the Philippines Despite China’s Alarm 

A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
TT

US Plans to Deploy More Missile Launchers to the Philippines Despite China’s Alarm 

A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)

The United States plans to deploy more high-tech missile systems to the Philippines to help deter aggression in the South China Sea, where the treaty allies on Tuesday condemned what they called China’s "illegal, coercive, aggressive, and deceptive activities."

Beijing has repeatedly expressed alarm over the installation in the northern Philippines of a US mid-range missile system called the Typhon in 2024 and of an anti-ship missile launcher last year. It said the US weapons were aimed at containing China’s rise and warned that these were a threat to regional stability.

China has asked the Philippines to withdraw the missile launchers from its territory, but officials led by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. have rejected the demand.

US and Philippine officials held annual talks Monday in Manila on broadening security, political and economic engagements and boosting collaboration with regional security allies.

The US and the Philippines outlined in a joint statement Tuesday specific defense and security plans for this year, including joint military exercises, Washington's support to help modernize the Philippine military and efforts "to increase deployments of US cutting-edge missile and unmanned systems to the Philippines."

The longtime allies "underscored their support for preserving freedom of navigation and overflight, unimpeded lawful commerce and other lawful uses of the sea for all nations," the statement said.

"Both sides condemned China’s illegal, coercive, aggressive and deceptive activities in the South China Sea, recognizing their adverse effects on regional peace and stability and the economies of the Indo-Pacific and beyond," it added.

Confrontations between Chinese and Philippine coast guard forces have spiked in the disputed waters in recent years. Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan are also involved in the territorial standoffs.

Neither side elaborated on the planned missile deployments but Philippine ambassador to Washington, Jose Manuel Romualdez, who took part in Monday’s talks, said US and Filipino defense officials discussed the possible deployment this year of "upgraded" types of US missile launchers that the Philippines may eventually decide to purchase.

"It’s a kind of system that’s really very sophisticated and will be deployed here in the hope that, down the road, we will be able to get our own," Romualdez told The Associated Press.

The Typhon missile system that the US Army deployed to the main northern Philippine region of Luzon in April 2024 and an anti-missile launcher called the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System that was deployed in April last year also to Luzon have remained in the Philippines, Romualdez said.

During joint drills, US forces have exhibited the missile systems to batches of Filipino forces to familiarize them with the weapons’ capabilities and usage, military officials said.

Romualdez said the US missile deployments to the Philippines did not aim to antagonize any country.

"It’s purely for deterrence," he said. "Every time the Chinese show any kind of aggression, it only strengthens our resolve to have these types."

The Typhon missile launchers, a land-based weapon, can fire the Standard Missile-6 and the Tomahawk Land Attack Missile. Tomahawk missiles can travel over 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers), which places China within their target range, from the northern Philippine region of Luzon.

Last year, the US Marines deployed the anti-ship missile launcher, the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System, to Batan island in the northernmost Philippine province of Batanes, which faces the Bashi Channel just south of Taiwan.

The sea passage is a critical trade and military route that the US and Chinese militaries have tried to gain strategic control of.