Ukraine FM Rules out Russian Use of Nuclear Weapons, Calls for Isolating Moscow over its Threats

Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba, Asharq Al-Awsat
Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba, Asharq Al-Awsat
TT

Ukraine FM Rules out Russian Use of Nuclear Weapons, Calls for Isolating Moscow over its Threats

Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba, Asharq Al-Awsat
Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba, Asharq Al-Awsat

The world is laying out the worst scenarios for the Russian-Ukraine war. Predictions are morbid, whether they are about protracting the conflict, widening the global food gap, or hiking prices of supply chains and energy.

Moreover, concerns are growing around the race towards acquiring advanced weapons, including nuclear arms.

Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has shown relative optimism about the international community succeeding in stopping the war by implementing harsher sanctions on Russia.

According to Kuleba, stronger sanctions would affect Russia’s economy and force Moscow to opt for a political solution.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Kuleba urged Ukraine’s partners to provide his country with advanced anti-aircraft and anti-missile systems.

He urged Ukraine partners to provide his country with advanced anti-aircraft and anti-missile systems. “If we make our skies safe, we will save many civilian lives,” he explained.

Kuleba also estimated Ukraine’s economic and infrastructure losses at a whopping $1 trillion.

Reviewing the Ukraine-Gulf ministerial meeting held on June 1, Kuleba said that his country anticipates for Arab Gulf countries to play an effective role in resolving the current global food and energy problems.

Kuleba noted that Russia is using food and energy shortages as tools of war to pressure the international community.

The top diplomat affirmed that Ukraine has submitted a proposal to establish a special advisory council between Ukraine and the Gulf states. The platform would be used to discuss pressing issues, such as grain and energy security.

Kuleba predicted that Ukraine's GDP would fall by 30%, and inflation would reach 20% in the first quarter of 2022.

Russia’s aggression on Ukraine has wiped out 30% of the latter’s infrastructure at an estimated cost of $100 billion.

“It is difficult to give exact figures while the war is still raging, but Ukraine's GDP is expected to fall by at least 30% in 2022, and inflation could reach 20% in the first quarter of this year,” said Kuleba.

“Ukraine's GDP has already lost 16%, making up a monthly budget deficit of more than $3 billion,” he added.

When asked about Russian President Vladimir Putin's threat to strike new targets if the West continues to deliver long-range missiles to Ukraine, Kuleba said: “those are empty threats.”

“Putin is already indiscriminately hitting targets in Ukraine, and he is already engaged in a brutal war of aggression against Ukraine,” said the foreign minister.

“He (Putin) does everything that terrifies Ukraine and he continues to kill Ukrainians every day.

“The Russian army is waging a barbaric war and mostly hits civilian targets.”

“Last week, Russia struck many Ukrainian cities and towns with long-range missiles, killing dozens of innocent people,” he said.

Commenting on Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s claims about the presence of hundreds of US and UK intelligence personnel operating in Ukraine, Kuleba said that it is all a part of Russian propaganda.

“The Russian foreign minister is trying one way or another to justify his country's aggressive war against Ukraine,” said Kuleba, adding that Lavrov’s excuses were laughable.

“The Russian invasion, which was supposed to achieve its goals within days, continues so far for the fifth month without major successes,” noted Kuleba.

On Russia’s occupation of Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia region, Kuleba said: “Russians are stealing Ukrainian minerals and grain, looting private property, kidnapping, torturing and killing people.”

“The takeover (of Zaporizhzhia) is an attempt to seize Ukrainian state property, and just another heinous act in a series of Russian crimes that will surely be punished.”

“I assure that the heroic Ukrainian resistance and the support of our partners will defeat the Russian plan. Russians need to understand that they made a mistake by invading Ukraine and they should withdraw their forces from our lands,” Kuleba told Asharq Al-Awsat.

As for Ukraine’s hopes for joining NATO, Kuleba said that his country can’t wait forever, especially in the face of the existential threat posed by Russia.

“We need effective security guarantees now, not at some point in the future,” said the top diplomat.

Regarding the threat of nuclear warfare, Kuleba said that it was unlikely for Russia to use its nuclear arsenal to attack Ukraine.

“It is unlikely that Russia will use nuclear weapons, but its officials and its spokesmen on television propaganda talk about them casually. I am sure that they should be punished for the threat to use nuclear weapons,” said Kuleba.

According to the Ukrainian minister, Russia threatening to use nuclear weapons against another sovereign country warrants its isolation from the international theater.

“In the course of its aggression, Russia has already demonstrated its complete disregard for nuclear safety,” said Kuleba.

While Ukraine has demanded sanctioning Russian oil and gas, there are some countries, such as Hungary, that reject the proposal.

“Doing business as usual with Russia, and buying their oil and gas, means taking care of its war machine, and its ability to destroy Ukraine and kill the Ukrainians, and this is contrary to the principles of justice and international laws,” said Kuleba.

“But the issue of sanctions is not morally perfect, there is also a practical aspect to it. For example, reliance on Russian energy and supplies is the main blackmail chip in the Kremlin,” he explained.

“They use energy as a weapon, blackmailing states by threatening to cut supplies if they oppose Moscow’s political decisions,” he added, noting that Russia has banned Ukrainian food exports.

“We hope to work on the seventh package of sanctions at an accelerated pace, as Russia's GDP growth fell from 5.6 % in January to 3 % last April and is expected to shrink by 8% to 15% this year.”

Asked to comment on Russian-Ukrainian negotiations, Kuleba said: “Russia now does not want to negotiate.”

“Putin's spokesman said a few days ago that Ukraine can end this war the day it lays down its arms and accepts all Russian requests, which means that Russia is not ready for negotiations and is seeking military solutions.”

“Putin's path to the negotiating table is through defeats on the battlefield. Only when he realizes that his army cannot win over Ukraine will he get serious about the talks,” clarified Kuleba.

The Minister stressed that Ukraine will focus on the restoration of territorial integrity, economic recovery, punishment for war crimes, and compensation for damages in any future talks.

Moreover, Ukraine will push for a new system of security guarantees, which is currently under discussion with potential guarantor states.

Discussing prospects for a Saudi role in making Russian-Ukrainian negotiations successful, Kuleba said: “We are grateful for the proposal by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to contribute to de-escalation and mediation between Russia and Ukraine expressed in the call with President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky on March 3.”

“We expressed the Ukrainian side's interest in deepening engagement with Saudi Arabia and all other Arab countries, especially in the reconstruction efforts,” said Kuleba.

“We also affirmed our hope that the Gulf states will play an active role in solving the current global food and energy problem, which Russia uses as tools of war and pressure on the international community,” he added.

“It is time for decisive action and confident steps,” said the minister.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.