Sealed Court Transcripts of Kafr Qasim Massacre Trial Revealed after 66 Years

Image of  Kafr Qasim
Image of Kafr Qasim
TT

Sealed Court Transcripts of Kafr Qasim Massacre Trial Revealed after 66 Years

Image of  Kafr Qasim
Image of Kafr Qasim

Declassified documents revealed new details on the planned murder of Palestinian civilians during the Kafr Qasem massacre, when an Israeli commander advised troops that “it was desirable for there to be a number of fatalities,” aiming to push the citizens to leave for the Jordanian side of the border.

During a court session that took place several months after the massacre, one of the judges asked Officer Chaim Levy if what he heard was: “It is preferable to have deaths, or that there may be deaths?”
According to the trial transcripts of Chaim Levy, who commanded the Israeli army in Kafr Qasim, the troops knew their victims were unarmed civilians who had not been informed about the curfew.

He asserted: “Neither this nor that. The commander clearly said “it is desirable.”

Defense attorney Asher Yitzhak interrupted asking if the commander said not to kill, Levy replied that there was no difference between the two commands.

Kafr Qasim massacre took place in October 1956 when Israeli police killed dozens of Arab citizens on their way back home during a sudden curfew of which they were unaware.

Kafr Qasim is situated on the West Bank border and falls under the authority of Jordan. A curfew was imposed while farmers were working on their lands, a few kilometers away. When they reached the village, among whom were men, women and children, the Israeli forces shot them indiscriminately, killing 49 people, including eight women, a pregnant woman, and 18 children between the ages of 8 and 17 years.

A division of 11 soldiers of the Border Police opened fire, supervised by commander Issachar Shadmi. The orders were clear: “a strict curfew, not by arresting violators, but by shooting.”

The Israeli government, led by David Ben-Gurion, tried to hide the incident, but news of the massacre began to break.

Three weeks later, Arab Knesset member Youssef Khamis revealed preliminary details of the massacre in front of two KM from the Communist Party, who immediately visited Kafr Qasim to break the siege imposed on the area, and the soldiers assaulted them. But they managed to infiltrate through rough roads, and recounted what they saw to the public through word of mouth because of a gag order issued by Israeli army.

Arab citizens and their national leaders, along with a number of the forces of the communist left and the radical Zionist left demanded an investigation.

The government was forced to form a commission of inquiry. The committee reached a decision to transfer the commander of the unit and ten soldiers to court-martial.

The trial took place behind closed doors for nearly two years.

On October 16, 1958, the court issued various prison sentences against the soldiers involved ranging between 17 years to nine years in prison.

The chief of staff then reduced some of the sentences, and later a committee for the release of prisoners ordered a reduction of one-third of the term of each of the convicts. Thus, the last of them was released in early 1960.

Shadmi was brought to trial alone in early 1959, and his punishment was simple reprimand and a fine of one Israeli piaster.

Since then, the Israeli government has imposed a complete blackout on the protocols, and prevented their opening, claiming they contain “sensitive information that jeopardize state security.”

The documents were revealed after an appeal from Jewish historian Adam Raz, from the Institute for Studies "Akvot.

On Friday, the sealed documents were opened, and they revealed what is known as the "Mole" plan to displace the residents of the Little Triangle area to Jordan.

Shadmi admitted during the court that there is a connection between the plan and the Kafr Qasim massacre. This was also confirmed by the rest of the defendants.

Shadmi believed that killing a number of citizens will sow panic and terror among the citizens, and they will leave the town.

Several officers admitted that they discussed the possibility of occupying Jordan one day before the massacre, and therefore they were on alert.

In his testimony to the court, Levy said that the company commander told him clearly that he "wanted a number of deaths,” adding that despite human sentiment, war is war and the “Mole" plan warned of the danger of turning the Arabs into hostile citizens.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.