Tehran Seeks Rapprochement with Cairo Through Investments

 Iraqi President Barham Saleh (C), Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi (L) and Parliament Speaker Muhammad Al-Halbousi (R) receive Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi (C-R), and Jordan's King Abdullah II (C-L), in the capital Baghdad, Iraq, June 27, 2021. (AFP Photo)
Iraqi President Barham Saleh (C), Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi (L) and Parliament Speaker Muhammad Al-Halbousi (R) receive Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi (C-R), and Jordan's King Abdullah II (C-L), in the capital Baghdad, Iraq, June 27, 2021. (AFP Photo)
TT

Tehran Seeks Rapprochement with Cairo Through Investments

 Iraqi President Barham Saleh (C), Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi (L) and Parliament Speaker Muhammad Al-Halbousi (R) receive Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi (C-R), and Jordan's King Abdullah II (C-L), in the capital Baghdad, Iraq, June 27, 2021. (AFP Photo)
Iraqi President Barham Saleh (C), Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi (L) and Parliament Speaker Muhammad Al-Halbousi (R) receive Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi (C-R), and Jordan's King Abdullah II (C-L), in the capital Baghdad, Iraq, June 27, 2021. (AFP Photo)

Tehran has reiterated that the road was ready for an understanding with Egypt, in conjunction with similar statements about Iran’s “openness” to relations with Saudi Arabia and the UAE, and “the resumption of negotiations on the nuclear agreement.”

For the third time in one month, Tehran sought to “compliment” Cairo, through statements by Iranian officials, calling for “the resumption of relations between the two capitals,” whether at the political or commercial levels.

In early July, Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian stressed that strengthening relations between Tehran and Cairo “will benefit the two countries and peoples.” This was followed by a tweet by Mohammad Hossein Soltanifar, the head of Iran’s Interests Section Office in Cairo, praising what he described as “Egypt’s opposing stance on the project of an American alliance against Iran.”

Soltanifar continued to hint at the improvement of relations between Cairo and Tehran, through an article he published in the Iran Daily newspaper, and reported by the Iranian News Agency on Saturday. He said that the current developments “require raising the bilateral relations between the two countries… to the desired political level.”

Cairo, however, has so far met the repetitive Iranian statements with silence, as no official Egyptian response was made in this regard.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, Ambassador Hussein Haridy, former assistant to the Egyptian foreign minister, said: “Iran has issued several statements recently indicating a degree of openness to Arab powers, including Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Egypt, which gives the impression of the formation of a new phase in the Middle East. At the same time, Iranian statements were issued about Tehran’s response to European efforts to resume negotiations on the nuclear deal.”

Last month, Iraqi Foreign Minister Fouad Hussein revealed his country’s hosting of bilateral dialogue between Iran and Arab countries, including Egypt and Jordan.

He said: “Iran has proposed the idea of establishing channels of communication with Egypt, and the talks between Riyadh and Tehran will be transformed into an open dialogue.”

Tehran’s recent statements on strengthening relations with Egypt have focused on the investment field.

Soltanifar noted that his country was ready to enter Egypt’s markets, by establishing a factory for the production of local vehicles and holding joint investments in the fields of banking, textiles, marine navigation, and carpets.

The Iranian official stressed that the close and growing relations between Egypt, Iraq and Syria “provide more opportunities for regional cooperation between Iran and Egypt.”

Haridy, in turn, emphasized that nothing would impede the establishment of trade exchange relations between Cairo and Tehran, but added that the current stage “does not allow for talks about investments, economic cooperation and factories.”

“Egypt will not make any step that can be understood as being against the general direction in the Gulf, nor will it allow relations with [Iran] to be a weapon for confrontation with the Gulf States,” he underlined.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.