Houthi Attacks, Mines Kill, Injure 700 Civilians During Truce

 King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines (SPA)
King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines (SPA)
TT

Houthi Attacks, Mines Kill, Injure 700 Civilians During Truce

 King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines (SPA)
King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines (SPA)

,rHouthi mines and attacks caused the death and injury of about 700 civilians during the four months of the UN-brokered truce in Yemen, according to international and local reports.

This came amid fears that the number of victims would rise due to recent heavy rains that have carried hundreds of mines into roads and farms in several Yemeni areas.

In its latest report, Save the Children said that 689 civilians were killed or injured in the four months of the truce from April 2 until July 27 from Houthi shelling and landmines. It said 217 civilians were killed, including 120 children, and 472 were injured including 88 children.

Save the Children added that an increase in armed violence in the last month of the truce in Yemen resulted in 232 civilian casualties, including 57 children, with the last week of July being the bloodiest in years with over 65 civilian casualties, including 38 children.

“Children in Yemen deserve sincere and earnest efforts to ensure the complete cessation of violence, re-opening roads in Taiz, as well as full, safe, and unhindered humanitarian access to all Yemenis across the country,” it said.

Save the Children’s Country Director for Yemen Rama Hansraj said that “words fail when trying to describe the amount of suffering and hardship that has been endured by children in Yemen for over seven years of an unforgiving war that has taken a terrible toll on their lives and the future of their country.”

She stressed that in April, everyone was thrilled to hear the news about the truce and the extension in June brought hope for a long-term resolution to the conflict.

However, Hansraj added that last week’s news of such a sharp increase of civilian casualties came as a grim reminder that children are still far from safe as long as the war has not officially ended.

Meanwhile, the Yemeni Landmine Monitor, a non-governmental organization concerned with monitoring mine victims, said that during the four months of the truce, it documented 168 civilian casualties as a result of mines planted by the Houthi militia in several Yemeni governorates.

The Monitor said that from April 2 until August 1, Houthi mines in Hodeidah, Taiz, Hajjah, Al-Bayda, Saada, Al-Jawf, Marib, Lahj and in the Nihm Sharqi district in Sanaa, killed 57 civilians, including 28 children and 4 women, while it wounded 111 civilians, including 47 children and 8 women.

The NGO renewed its call to the United Nations and the international community to exert pressure on the Houthi militia to hand over mine maps and support demining teams and explosive devices, including urgent support for clearing populated and agricultural areas that were recently contaminated by torrential rains.

For its part, the Yemeni Army in the Taiz governorate said it monitored 3,437 Houthi violations of the truce on the various fronts of the governorate since its entry into force last April, killing 17 soldiers, and wounding 104 others.

It also documented 54 Houthi infiltration attempts and 1,836 attacks, including 511 sniping operations, 406 artillery shelling, 504 reconnaissance operations by drones, and 135 targeting by booby-trapped aircraft.

In a separate development, King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines planted by the Houthi militia across Yemen, including 37 anti-personnel mines, 269 anti-tank mines, 624 unexploded ordnance and 4 explosive devices.

Since the beginning of the project, as many as 352,315 mines have been dismantled, it said.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.