Houthi Attacks, Mines Kill, Injure 700 Civilians During Truce

 King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines (SPA)
King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines (SPA)
TT

Houthi Attacks, Mines Kill, Injure 700 Civilians During Truce

 King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines (SPA)
King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines (SPA)

,rHouthi mines and attacks caused the death and injury of about 700 civilians during the four months of the UN-brokered truce in Yemen, according to international and local reports.

This came amid fears that the number of victims would rise due to recent heavy rains that have carried hundreds of mines into roads and farms in several Yemeni areas.

In its latest report, Save the Children said that 689 civilians were killed or injured in the four months of the truce from April 2 until July 27 from Houthi shelling and landmines. It said 217 civilians were killed, including 120 children, and 472 were injured including 88 children.

Save the Children added that an increase in armed violence in the last month of the truce in Yemen resulted in 232 civilian casualties, including 57 children, with the last week of July being the bloodiest in years with over 65 civilian casualties, including 38 children.

“Children in Yemen deserve sincere and earnest efforts to ensure the complete cessation of violence, re-opening roads in Taiz, as well as full, safe, and unhindered humanitarian access to all Yemenis across the country,” it said.

Save the Children’s Country Director for Yemen Rama Hansraj said that “words fail when trying to describe the amount of suffering and hardship that has been endured by children in Yemen for over seven years of an unforgiving war that has taken a terrible toll on their lives and the future of their country.”

She stressed that in April, everyone was thrilled to hear the news about the truce and the extension in June brought hope for a long-term resolution to the conflict.

However, Hansraj added that last week’s news of such a sharp increase of civilian casualties came as a grim reminder that children are still far from safe as long as the war has not officially ended.

Meanwhile, the Yemeni Landmine Monitor, a non-governmental organization concerned with monitoring mine victims, said that during the four months of the truce, it documented 168 civilian casualties as a result of mines planted by the Houthi militia in several Yemeni governorates.

The Monitor said that from April 2 until August 1, Houthi mines in Hodeidah, Taiz, Hajjah, Al-Bayda, Saada, Al-Jawf, Marib, Lahj and in the Nihm Sharqi district in Sanaa, killed 57 civilians, including 28 children and 4 women, while it wounded 111 civilians, including 47 children and 8 women.

The NGO renewed its call to the United Nations and the international community to exert pressure on the Houthi militia to hand over mine maps and support demining teams and explosive devices, including urgent support for clearing populated and agricultural areas that were recently contaminated by torrential rains.

For its part, the Yemeni Army in the Taiz governorate said it monitored 3,437 Houthi violations of the truce on the various fronts of the governorate since its entry into force last April, killing 17 soldiers, and wounding 104 others.

It also documented 54 Houthi infiltration attempts and 1,836 attacks, including 511 sniping operations, 406 artillery shelling, 504 reconnaissance operations by drones, and 135 targeting by booby-trapped aircraft.

In a separate development, King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) Project (Masam) for clearing mines in Yemen, dismantled, during the last week of July 2022, a total of 934 mines planted by the Houthi militia across Yemen, including 37 anti-personnel mines, 269 anti-tank mines, 624 unexploded ordnance and 4 explosive devices.

Since the beginning of the project, as many as 352,315 mines have been dismantled, it said.



Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
TT

Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according to US media reports.

Washington will end its presence in the country after the Syrian government extended its control over the country and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces once key to fighting ISIS pledged to integrate into the state, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Television network CBS also reported on the plan, citing unnamed US officials.

The decision comes after US forces recently withdrew from some bases
in Syria including Al-Tanf and Al-Shadadi, which were used in the US-led international coalition's fight against ISIS, AFP reported.

The US is building up its military capabilities near Iran, where officials have vowed to respond to any attack by laying siege to American military outposts in the region.

US media reported Wednesday that Washington will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.