Erdogan’s Plan to Manage Türkiye's Economic Crisis Gets Summer Reprieve

A man walks past a currency exchange office in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 10, 2022. REUTERS/Dilara Senkaya/File Photo
A man walks past a currency exchange office in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 10, 2022. REUTERS/Dilara Senkaya/File Photo
TT
20

Erdogan’s Plan to Manage Türkiye's Economic Crisis Gets Summer Reprieve

A man walks past a currency exchange office in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 10, 2022. REUTERS/Dilara Senkaya/File Photo
A man walks past a currency exchange office in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 10, 2022. REUTERS/Dilara Senkaya/File Photo

A windfall of foreign funds arriving in Türkiye and sustained interest in a state-backed deposit scheme have brought some relief for President Tayyip Erdogan's economic plan less than a year before tight elections.

Erdogan's program stressing monetary stimulus, exports and economic growth sent inflation soaring when the central bank slashed interest rates by 500 basis points late last year, setting off a historic currency crash in December.

Even as annual inflation reached 80% last month, straining households and sapping earnings, the government has stuck to its unorthodox plan which it expects will eventually help flip the country's chronic current account deficits to surpluses. Strong exports and tourism have helped to finance a current account deficit which narrowed in June, despite heavy energy costs, according to the latest data.

Relief began in July when foreign visitors jumped by more than 50%, exceeding pre-pandemic levels thanks partly to Russians with nowhere else to go given sanctions over the war, Reuters reported.

The central bank's foreign reserves - badly depleted from nine months of supporting the lira - have nearly tripled since early July to $15.7 billion on a net basis. Bankers say inflows of some $5 billion from Russia provided a boost, though authorities have not commented and do not publish such data.

Adding to relief for Erdogan, a lira-protection scheme unveiled during the December crisis cleared a big hurdle in July and August when $30 billion in deposits were rolled over without issue, according to data calculated by bankers.

Only a further $3 billion in deposits need to be rolled over next month, and little more until next year, locking many companies in for another six months to the scheme known as KKM.

The scheme seeks to curb demand for foreign currency by compensating depositors for lira losses against foreign currencies.

Given the lira has shed 27% to the dollar this year, KKM costs are rising for the Treasury and the central bank, which pay depositors the difference.

But most companies and individuals have stuck with KKM, avoiding another rush to foreign currencies and a potential repeat lira crash with less than a year before Erdogan faces tight elections.

"The cost is high but if this amount was being kept in forex then we would face bigger problems," a source with knowledge of the matter said.

"If there was any other alternative it would have been used but it looks like this will continue, at least until the beginning of next year," the source said of the scheme, requesting anonymity given sensitivities of the government plan.

Depositors are lured to KKM by cheaper credit and tax incentives, bankers, companies and officials told Reuters. In total, protected deposits are worth 1.2 trillion lira ($66.23 billion), data shows.

The central bank does not disclose its KKM-related costs.

But since it was introduced on Dec. 20 - the day the lira hit an all-time low of 18.4 to the dollar - KKM has cost the Treasury 60 billion lira, 20 billion lira more than this year's budget allocation for the scheme.

The scheme, along with big forex interventions by the central bank, helped rescue the lira at the time.

But the currency has since tumbled back to near its record low, hitting 18.15 to the dollar after the central bank shocked markets last week by cutting its benchmark interest rate by another 100 basis points.



Saudi Arabia Enacts Reforms to Boost Business Climate, Investment Appeal

Riyadh (SPA)
Riyadh (SPA)
TT
20

Saudi Arabia Enacts Reforms to Boost Business Climate, Investment Appeal

Riyadh (SPA)
Riyadh (SPA)

Saudi Arabia will enforce two major regulatory frameworks, the Law of Commercial Register and Law of Trade Names, starting Thursday, marking a significant overhaul of its business registration process.

The reforms are part of the kingdom’s ongoing efforts to modernize its regulatory environment, create a more business-friendly ecosystem, and strengthen its position as a global investment hub in line with Vision 2030.

Approved by the Saudi government on Sept. 17, the new laws represent a major regulatory shift aimed at empowering investors, facilitating business growth, and unlocking investment opportunities nationwide.

They form part of a broader, ongoing regulatory transformation designed to enhance transparency, improve the business climate, and align with the kingdom’s economic and technological advancements.

Commerce Minister Majid Al-Kassabi said the Cabinet’s approval of the laws aims to streamline business operations and ease the burden on enterprises by consolidating their registration into a single nationwide record.

The new framework also standardizes the reservation and registration of trade names to protect and enhance their value, aligning with Saudi Arabia’s economic and technological advancements under Vision 2030.

Saudi Arabia ranks 62nd out of 190 economies in the World Bank's latest annual Ease of Doing Business index.

Ministry of Commerce official spokesperson Abdulrahman Al-Hussein noted that the new commercial register law introduces major changes.

Among the key changes are the elimination of subsidiary registers, with a single commercial register now being sufficient. Additionally, the law removes the requirement to specify the city of registration, allowing one commercial registration to apply across all regions of the Kingdom.

The new law also obligated commercial establishments in Saudi Arabia to open bank accounts linked to the establishment in order to enhance its reliability and ensure the integrity of its transactions.

In addition, the law cancels the expiration date for the commercial register, requiring only an annual confirmation of the data, the spokesman stated.

Under the law, the commercial registration number will serve as the establishment’s unified number, starting with (7).

The ministry will grant existing subsidiary registers a five-year grace period to rectify their status in accordance with the new regulations.

Meanwhile, the new Law of Trade Names in Saudi Arabia, which consists of 23 articles, aims to regulate the procedures for reserving and recording names in the commercial register, maximizing their value, and protecting them and their rights.

The law allows a trade name to be reserved before it is recorded for a specific period that can be extended. It also sets the requirements that must be met by trade names to be registered or reserved, and the criteria for prohibited names.

Al-Hussein explained that the new regulations also allow for the reservation and registration of trade names in English, including letters or numbers.

This marks a departure from the previous law, which permitted only Arabic names without foreign characters or numbers.

The new law will enable the management of trade names independently from the establishment, allowing for the transfer of their ownership while prohibiting the registration of identical or similar names for different establishments in Saudi Arabia, even if their activities differ.

Al-Hussein noted that the law also includes regulations for reserving family names as trade names and establishes criteria for prohibited or misleading names.