Biden Wants Other 'Options' to Block Iran Nuclear Weapons Capability if Deal Fails

A photo published by the IAEA website of its Director-General, Rafael Grossi last Monday
A photo published by the IAEA website of its Director-General, Rafael Grossi last Monday
TT
20

Biden Wants Other 'Options' to Block Iran Nuclear Weapons Capability if Deal Fails

A photo published by the IAEA website of its Director-General, Rafael Grossi last Monday
A photo published by the IAEA website of its Director-General, Rafael Grossi last Monday

US President Joe Biden wants to ensure that the United States has "other available options" to ensure that Iran does not achieve nuclear weapons capability, if efforts to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal fail, a White House spokesperson said.

National security spokesman John Kirby said Washington would remain active in pushing for reimplementation of the agreement, but its patience was "not eternal", reported Reuters.

"Even as he has fostered and encouraged and pushed for a diplomatic path, (Biden) has conveyed to the rest of the administration that he wants to make sure that we have other available options to us to potentially achieve that solid outcome of the no nuclear weapons capability for Iran," he said.

On Thursday, France expressed concern over Iran's lack of cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency regarding the undeclared nuclear sites.

Meanwhile, Iran dismissed as "baseless" Thursday a report from the UN nuclear watchdog that it was unable to certify the Iranian nuclear program as "exclusively peaceful".

"The recent report... is a rehash for political purposes of baseless issues from the past," Iran Atomic Energy Organization spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi said in a statement.

"Iran will present its well-founded legal responses" to the findings at the IAEA's next board of governors meeting in Vienna from September 12 to 16, he added.

In its report, the IAEA said it was "not in a position to provide assurance that Iran's nuclear program is exclusively peaceful".

It said IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi was "increasingly concerned that Iran has not engaged with the agency on the outstanding safeguards issues during this reporting period and, therefore, that there has been no progress towards resolving them".

The IAEA has been pressing Iran for answers on the presence of nuclear material at three undeclared sites and the issue led to a resolution that criticized Iran being passed at the June meeting of the IAEA's board of governors.

Tehran, which maintains that its nuclear program is exclusively peaceful, this week again insisted that the IAEA probe would have to be concluded in order to revive the 2015 deal on its nuclear program with world powers.

In another report also issued on Wednesday, the IAEA addressed Iran's decision in June to disconnect 27 cameras allowing the agency's inspectors to monitor its nuclear activities.

The removal of the cameras has had "detrimental implications for the agency's ability to provide assurance of the peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program," the report said.

Kamalvandi said the issue of the monitoring cameras would be addressed as part of a revived nuclear agreement.

But he stressed that the United States needed to meet its obligations too by lifting the economic sanctions imposed by then president Donald Trump after he unilaterally abandoned the deal in 2018.

"In order to restore the previous verification system, the parties to the agreement must abide by their commitments," Kamalvandi said.

The twin IAEA reports come as Tehran and Washington exchange responses to a "final" draft agreement drawn up by European Union mediators.

EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell had expressed hope that with minor modifications the draft would prove acceptable to both sides, but on Monday he said that recent exchanges had left him "less confident".

Washington said last week that Tehran's latest proposed changes to the text were "not constructive" and Borrell too voiced disappointment.

"The last answer I got, if the purpose is to close the deal quickly, it is not going to help it," he said.

A renewed deal would see more than one million barrels of Iranian oil back on international markets, bringing new relief to consumers hit by surging prices after Russia's invasion of Ukraine.



ICC Concerned About Hungary's Decision to Withdraw from the Court

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu shake hands at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks on April 3, 2025 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Attila KISBENEDEK / AFP)
Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu shake hands at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks on April 3, 2025 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Attila KISBENEDEK / AFP)
TT
20

ICC Concerned About Hungary's Decision to Withdraw from the Court

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu shake hands at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks on April 3, 2025 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Attila KISBENEDEK / AFP)
Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu shake hands at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks on April 3, 2025 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Attila KISBENEDEK / AFP)

The presidency of the International Criminal Court on Thursday expressed concern about Hungary's decision to withdraw from the court.
In a letter to Hungary it urged the country to continue to be a resolute party to the Rome Statute, the founding treaty of the ICC.

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban said the country would withdraw completely from the court on the same day Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu, indicted by the ICC, visited Budapest.

Orban gave the Israeli leader a welcome with full military honors in Budapest’s Castle District. The two close allies stood side by side as a military band played and an elaborate procession of soldiers on horseback and carrying swords and bayoneted rifles marched by.

As the ceremony unfolded, Orban’s chief of staff, Gergely Gulyás, released a brief statement saying that “the government will initiate the withdrawal procedure” for leaving the court, which could take a year or more to complete.

Orban later said that he believes the ICC is “a political court.”
The ICC, based in The Hague, Netherlands, said when issuing its warrant that there was reason to believe Netanyahu and former Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant had committed crimes against humanity in connection with the war in Gaza.