Egypt: Official Calls to Rationalize Spending amid Rising Prices

Egyptian factory workers decorate candy dolls in preparation of the Mawlid celebrations, marking the birthday of the Prophet Mohammed, at a traditional factory in the Bab al-Bahr district in Cairo, Egypt, 26 September 2022. (EPA)
Egyptian factory workers decorate candy dolls in preparation of the Mawlid celebrations, marking the birthday of the Prophet Mohammed, at a traditional factory in the Bab al-Bahr district in Cairo, Egypt, 26 September 2022. (EPA)
TT

Egypt: Official Calls to Rationalize Spending amid Rising Prices

Egyptian factory workers decorate candy dolls in preparation of the Mawlid celebrations, marking the birthday of the Prophet Mohammed, at a traditional factory in the Bab al-Bahr district in Cairo, Egypt, 26 September 2022. (EPA)
Egyptian factory workers decorate candy dolls in preparation of the Mawlid celebrations, marking the birthday of the Prophet Mohammed, at a traditional factory in the Bab al-Bahr district in Cairo, Egypt, 26 September 2022. (EPA)

The Egyptian government stressed that it would continue to subsidize bread and provide a safe reserve of goods, meat and poultry, amid official and media calls to “rationalize spending due to high prices.”

Minister of Supply and Internal Trade Dr. Ali Al-Moselhi said President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi’s directives to raise the reserve of strategic commodities, especially wheat, and to provide the necessary financial funds for this purpose, helped confront the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic and the Russian-Ukrainian crisis.

The minister noted that his country “has a reserve of wheat for a period that can last 6.6 months, a reserve of seven months of frozen poultry, and self-sufficiency of live poultry.”

He added that the annual bread subsidy budget amounted to 51 billion Egyptian pounds, adding that bread subsidies “may reach 73 billion pounds during this year.”

The Dandara Economic Forum, which concluded on Friday, called for the need to “rationalize consumption according to the actual needs in order to confront the economic crisis.”

Last month, Egyptian and media officials conveyed assurances about the country’s “safe economic position” that coincided with the announcement of official measures to “maximize agricultural production” and support “food security.”

Meanwhile, Minister of Local Development Major General Hisham Amna called on the supervisors of Sanad Al-Khair initiative, which was launched by the ministry to provide basic food commodities to citizens, to intensify their presence in popular neighborhoods and most needy areas.

In a statement on Saturday, the minister said that the initiative launched in March came in implementation of Sisi’s directives, with the aim to unite all the state’s efforts to support citizens in the most needy and popular areas, and to provide their food needs at low prices and high quality.



Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
TT

Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according to US media reports.

Washington will end its presence in the country after the Syrian government extended its control over the country and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces once key to fighting ISIS pledged to integrate into the state, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Television network CBS also reported on the plan, citing unnamed US officials.

The decision comes after US forces recently withdrew from some bases
in Syria including Al-Tanf and Al-Shadadi, which were used in the US-led international coalition's fight against ISIS, AFP reported.

The US is building up its military capabilities near Iran, where officials have vowed to respond to any attack by laying siege to American military outposts in the region.

US media reported Wednesday that Washington will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.