Burhan Denies Reaching Bilateral Settlement with Any Sudanese Party

Sudan's General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, answers questions during an interview, Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, in New York. (AP)
Sudan's General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, answers questions during an interview, Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, in New York. (AP)
TT
20

Burhan Denies Reaching Bilateral Settlement with Any Sudanese Party

Sudan's General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, answers questions during an interview, Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, in New York. (AP)
Sudan's General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, answers questions during an interview, Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, in New York. (AP)

Head of Sudan’s Transitional Sovereign Council Lt. General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan denied reports that he had concluded a bilateral political settlement with any political party in the country.

He told senior military officials on Sunday that the armed forces stand at the same distance from everyone and support the steps taken to achieve democratic transition.

Burhan hoped that the political forces would succeed in reaching national consensus that would help Sudan overcome the challenges it is currently facing and allow it to complete the transitional phase under a competent, independent, non-partisan government with the goal of holding elections.

According to a statement issued by the army spokesman's office, Burhan reviewed the current political situation with senior leaders and underlined the military’s keenness on ensuring stability and security throughout the country.

Meanwhile, the tripartite mechanism tasked with facilitating intra-Sudanese dialogue welcomed on Sunday the current momentum moving towards a solution to the political crisis. The solution should start with the formation of a credible civilian-led government to guide Sudan through the transition to democracy and peace.

The tripartite mechanism is composed of the United Nations, African Union, and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development.

It described Burhan’s statements as encouraging, saying they reflect a desire to reach a political agreement with the civilian forces on transitional arrangements and guarantees for a more stable transitional period that leads to transparent and fair elections.

Mohamed Belaish, spokesman for the mechanism, said the military is responsible for engaging in good faith to hand over the executive authority to a credible civilian authority.

He stressed that all political and civil actors must prioritize Sudan's stability and ability to transition to democracy and achieve just peace.

The mechanism underscored the importance of the international community’s continued support during this critical phase and expressed readiness to facilitate military-civil talks to reach an inclusive and sustainable settlement.



Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)

Scores of US-backed Kurdish fighters left two neighborhoods in Syria’s northern city of Aleppo Friday as part of a deal with the central government in Damascus, which is expanding its authority in the country.

The fighters left the predominantly Kurdish northern neighborhoods of Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh, which had been under the control of Kurdish fighters in Aleppo over the past decade.

The deal is a boost to an agreement reached last month between Syria’s interim government and the Kurdish-led authority that controls the country’s northeast. The deal could eventually lead to the merger of the main US-backed force in Syria into the Syrian army.

The withdrawal of fighters from the US-backed and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) came a day after dozens of prisoners from both sides were freed in Aleppo, Syria’s largest city.

Syria’s state news agency, SANA, reported that government forces were deployed along the road that SDF fighters will use to move between Aleppo and areas east of the Euphrates River, where the Kurdish-led force controls nearly a quarter of Syria.

Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh had been under SDF control since 2015 and remained so even when forces of ousted President Bashar al-Assad captured Aleppo in late 2016. The two neighborhoods remained under SDF control when forces loyal to current interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa captured the city in November, and days later captured the capital, Damascus, removing Assad from power.

After being marginalized for decades under the rule of the Assad family rule, the deal signed last month promises Syria’s Kurds “constitutional rights,” including using and teaching their language, which were banned for decades.

Hundreds of thousands of Kurds, who were displaced during Syria’s nearly 14-year civil war, will return to their homes. Thousands of Kurds living in Syria who have been deprived of nationality for decades under Assad will be given the right of citizenship, according to the agreement.

Kurds made up 10% of the country’s prewar population of 23 million. Kurdish leaders say they don’t want full autonomy with their own government and parliament. They want decentralization and room to run their day-to day-affairs.