3 Mln Children in Sudan Suffer from Malnutrition

Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)
Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)
TT

3 Mln Children in Sudan Suffer from Malnutrition

Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)
Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)

International organizations said that about three million children in Sudan are acutely malnourished, of which 650,000 suffer from severe acute malnutrition and need care.

These children are mainly in Darfur and Kordofan states in western Sudan and the Red Sea region, east of the country. These areas have witnessed armed conflicts and development marginalization.

Spokeswoman for the World Food Program (WFP) Leni Kinzli said in a press statement during the celebration of the “World Food Day” in Khartoum on Sunday that intervention is required immediately.

She stressed that neglect will lead to a rise in the number of deaths among children due to their lack of access to food.

Kinzli underlined the efforts by the international and national partners in Sudan to protect children before they become malnourished.

She affirmed that the WFP will not suspend the school nutrition program before January 2023 but plans to reduce it due to the lack of sufficient funds.

“On the day we celebrate World Food Day, we are facing continuous food insecurity due to the coronavirus pandemic, wars, climate change, and an increase in the economic gap in Sudan,” Kinzli said.

She pointed out that the WFP is developing its policies and mobilizing domestic and international funding to continue working in this field.

For her part, the representative of the Sudanese Ministry of Agriculture, Fatima Elhassan, said a significant increase in agricultural production is expected this year, which will alleviate food shortages.

She pointed out that reports show that the grain production, including corn and millet, on which the majority of citizens depend. will be available. She added that the authorities have taken precautions from safety nets provided to farmers to reduce post-harvest losses by 35%, targeting about 300,000 farmers.

On June 20, the WFP announced its plan to cut rations for refugees in Sudan due to funding shortages.

Hence, as of July 2022, the 552,000 refugee assisted by WFP started receiving only 50% of a full ration, including for new arrivals.

In August, the United Nations said the humanitarian situation in Sudan is alarming.

According to the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification’s (IPC) latest analysis, almost a quarter of Sudan's population - 11.7 million people - are estimated to be facing acute food insecurity, an increase by nearly two million people compared with the same period last year.

The IPC issued the analysis on food security in Sudan in late June. It was carried out between March and April 2022, involving 19 agencies, including several government departments, specialized UN agencies, and local and international non-government organizations (NGOs).

The fragile economy, prolonged dry spells, reduced area cultivated, and erratic rainfall are among the root causes of the increase, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) warned from the consequences of lack of funding that covers malnourished children under five years and pregnant or nursing women.

In mid-June, WFP published the Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Assessment (CFSVA) report.

The report stated that the combined effects of the economic and political crisis, conflict and displacement, climate shocks, and poor harvests significantly affected peoples’ access to food in Sudan.

According to the CFSVA, 34% of the population (about 15 million people) were food insecure during the first quarter of 2022.

This is an increase of 7% compared to the same period in 2021, when 27% of the population (12 million people) were food insecure.



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.