OPEC: Move to Cut Oil Output Was Unanimous to Prevent Crisis

A facility operated by oil and gas services company Lamprell in Dubai, United Arab Emirates is pictured in this handout image provided to Reuters on June 24, 2022. Lamprell/Handout via REUTERS
A facility operated by oil and gas services company Lamprell in Dubai, United Arab Emirates is pictured in this handout image provided to Reuters on June 24, 2022. Lamprell/Handout via REUTERS
TT

OPEC: Move to Cut Oil Output Was Unanimous to Prevent Crisis

A facility operated by oil and gas services company Lamprell in Dubai, United Arab Emirates is pictured in this handout image provided to Reuters on June 24, 2022. Lamprell/Handout via REUTERS
A facility operated by oil and gas services company Lamprell in Dubai, United Arab Emirates is pictured in this handout image provided to Reuters on June 24, 2022. Lamprell/Handout via REUTERS

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Secretary-General Haitham al-Ghais said on Tuesday that OPEC+ alliance took an unanimous decision to cut oil output as a pre-emptive measure to prevent a crisis.

Speaking at the African Energy Week in South Africa, al-Ghais said the heads of delegations unanimously decided to take a proactive stance to create stability in global markets.

He said if investments in oil were not met, there could eventually be a serious supply shortfall resulting in more heightened volatility.

The OPEC Secretary-General also stressed that Africa's oil and natural gas reserves would be sought-after as energy demand was set to rise dramatically in the coming decades.

Earlier this month, the OPEC+ alliance of oil-exporting countries decided to cut oil production by 2 million barrels per day starting in November to balance between supply and demand. The US said it was disappointed by the decision.

However, Arab states and OPEC+ member states lined up to endorse the production cut in support of the Saudi vision to deal with the world oil markets.

Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain, the Sultanate of Oman, Algeria, the UAE, Egypt, Morocco and Jordan expressed their support for the decision.

They issued separate statements confirming their support for the OPEC+ production cut and to Saudi Arabia’s vision in the oil markets.

UAE Energy minister Suhail al-Mazrouei said on Tuesday that his country believes OPEC+ made the correct technical choice when it agreed to cut production targets and the unanimous decision had nothing to do with politics.

“I would like to clarify that the latest OPEC+ decision, which was unanimously approved, was a pure technical decision, with no political intentions whatsoever,” the Minister said.

“We always meet and discuss the facts and how we can all contribute to taking the right measures to balance the supply and demand,” he stressed, adding that the decision is always taken unanimously and the same approach was taken in the last meeting.

During a conference before the start of Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC) on Tuesday, Mazrouei said the decision stabilized prices, rather than increasing them, adding that it was the lack of stability that was driving investors away.

Asked if the UAE plans to ask for a higher baseline as it builds capacity, the minister said there is a mechanism for any country to raise that request.

Meanwhile, Kuwait said that the recent OPEC+ decision to cut oil output was taken collectively and based on economic studies of international oil markets, state news agency KUNA reported on Tuesday citing the foreign ministry.

For its part, the Jordanian Foreign Ministry said Amman supports all measures taken by Saudi Arabia to protect its security, stability and interests.

“This is a technical issue related to oil market stability and its requirements, regulating supply and demand and protecting the interests of both producers and consumers, that should be approached on technical basis within its economic context, away from political bickering that does not serve common goals and interests,” the ministry said in a statement.

Oil prices settled lower on Tuesday on fears of higher US supply combined with an economic slowdown and lower Chinese fuel demand ahead with its zero-Covid policy.

Brent crude futures were down $2.52, or 2.7 percent, at $89.14 a barrel by 15:30 GMT while US West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell $2.97, or 3.3 percent, to $82.55.

On Monday, Reuters said the Biden administration plans to sell more oil from the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve in a bid to dampen fuel prices before next month's congressional elections, quoting three sources familiar with the matter.



ECB President Lagarde Reportedly Plans to Quit Before Macron's Term Ends

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
TT

ECB President Lagarde Reportedly Plans to Quit Before Macron's Term Ends

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo

European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde plans to leave her job before next year's French presidential election to allow Emmanuel Macron to have an input into picking her successor, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday.

Lagarde's term is due to end in October 2027 but some fear that the far right may win the French presidential race ‌in the spring of ‌2027, complicating the selection for the ‌new ⁠leader of Europe's most ⁠important financial institution.

Citing a person familiar with the matter, the FT said Lagarde has not yet decided on the exact timing of her departure but was keen on Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to be the key deciders in who succeeds her. Macron cannot run again for a third term.

"President Lagarde is ⁠totally focused on her mission and has not ‌taken any decision regarding the end ‌of her term," Reuters quoted an ECB spokesperson as saying.

The FT report comes only ‌a week after Bank of France Governor Francois Villeroy de Galhau ‌said he would step down in June this year, more than a year before the end of his term, allowing Macron to name his replacement before the presidential election that the far-right could win.

While it ‌will be up to all leaders from the 21-nation euro zone to pick Lagarde's successor, ⁠past practice ⁠suggests that any successful candidate must have both German and French support to clinch the role.

There are no formal candidates for the job yet but several names have been floating among ECB circles as potential ECB presidents. The most prominent among these are former Dutch central bank chief Klaas Knot and Bank for International Settlements General Manager Pablo Hernandez de Cos.

Lagarde's non-renewable term at the ECB runs until October 31, 2027. Prior to heading the ECB, she was managing director of the International Monetary Fund from 2011 to 2019 and before that, the French finance minister.


UK Inflation Falls to 3.0% in January

Pedestrians cross Westminster Bridge in front of Parliament during the early morning hours in London, Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026.(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)
Pedestrians cross Westminster Bridge in front of Parliament during the early morning hours in London, Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026.(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)
TT

UK Inflation Falls to 3.0% in January

Pedestrians cross Westminster Bridge in front of Parliament during the early morning hours in London, Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026.(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)
Pedestrians cross Westminster Bridge in front of Parliament during the early morning hours in London, Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026.(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

Britain's annual ‌rate of consumer price inflation fell to 3.0% in January from 3.4% in December, official figures showed on Wednesday.

A Reuters poll of economists had shown a median forecast of 3.0% in January and the Bank of England projected earlier this month that the headline measure of inflation would slow to ‌2.9%.

British inflation ‌has run higher than in ‌the ⁠United States and in ⁠the euro zone where it stood at 2.4% and 1.7% respectively in January.

But the BoE expects the pace of price rises to slow sharply to almost its 2% target in ⁠April as last year's rises ‌in utility costs and ‌other government-controlled tariffs fall out of ‌the annual comparison.

Investors expect the central bank ‌to cut its benchmark interest rate to 3.5% at its next meeting in March after a tight vote to keep borrowing costs ‌on hold in February although some policymakers remain worried about underlying ⁠inflation ⁠pressure.

Financial markets on Tuesday also priced a second quarter-point interest rate cut by the BoE by the end of in 2026.

ONS data last week painted a downbeat picture of Britain's economy at the end of 2025 with output barely growing. Figures released on Tuesday showed the labor market was still losing jobs although there were some signs of a stabilization.


Riyadh to Host Middle East’s Largest General Aviation Airshow in November 

The AERO Middle East x Sand & Fun 2026 will be held in Riyadh from November 24 to 28. (SPA)
The AERO Middle East x Sand & Fun 2026 will be held in Riyadh from November 24 to 28. (SPA)
TT

Riyadh to Host Middle East’s Largest General Aviation Airshow in November 

The AERO Middle East x Sand & Fun 2026 will be held in Riyadh from November 24 to 28. (SPA)
The AERO Middle East x Sand & Fun 2026 will be held in Riyadh from November 24 to 28. (SPA)

The Saudi Aviation Club announced that it will organize the AERO Middle East x Sand & Fun 2026 in Riyadh from November 24 to 28, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

The event is set to be the largest of its kind for general aviation in the Middle East, combining international business, investment, and innovation with live flying displays and interactive public experiences. It is being held in partnership with Messe Frankfurt Saudi Arabia.

Held at Thumamah Airport, the exhibition will bring together leading global companies operating in the general aviation industry, including aircraft and components manufacturers, avionics and navigation systems providers, as well as maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) companies, offering an integrated platform that covers the full value chain of the sector.

The event will also spotlight startups in advanced air mobility (AAM) and innovators of electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft, showcasing technologies and business models shaping the future of aviation.

General Supervisor of the Saudi Aviation Club Dr. Ahmed Alfahaid stated that AERO Middle East x Sand & Fun 2026 represents a qualitative leap for the Kingdom’s aviation sector and reinforces its positioning as a global hub for general aviation and advanced air mobility.

The partnership with Messe Frankfurt Saudi Arabia goes beyond presenting global innovations to providing a vital platform for international investment and strategic collaboration, he stressed.

Moreover, the event contributes to achieving Saudi Vision 2030 objectives, including the Kingdom’s ambition to rank among the world’s top 10 general aviation markets, he added.