Lebanon: Mediation Ongoing for Austin Tice, Held in Syria

Tice, a freelance photojournalist, disappeared on August 14, 2012 after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus (AFP)
Tice, a freelance photojournalist, disappeared on August 14, 2012 after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus (AFP)
TT
20

Lebanon: Mediation Ongoing for Austin Tice, Held in Syria

Tice, a freelance photojournalist, disappeared on August 14, 2012 after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus (AFP)
Tice, a freelance photojournalist, disappeared on August 14, 2012 after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus (AFP)

Lebanon is still mediating between the United States and Syria over the fate of American journalist Austin Tice who went missing a decade ago in the war-torn country, a Lebanese general said Tuesday.

Washington maintains that Tice is held by Syrian authorities.

Tice went missing shortly after his 31st birthday on Aug. 14, 2012, at a checkpoint in a contested area west of the Syrian capital of Damascus. A video released a month later showed him blindfolded and held by armed men. He has not been heard from since.

Lebanese Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim, who met with US officials in Washington in May as part of mediation efforts for Tice’s release, told reporters in Beirut on Tuesday that his mission is ongoing but described it as “long and complicated."

Ibrahim, head of Lebanon’s General Security Directorate, has mediated complicated hostage releases in the past and regularly visits Syria.

In August, President Joe Biden accused Syria of detaining Tice, the clearest indication so far that the US is certain that the journalist is being held by President Bashar Assad's government.

Just few months earlier, in May, Biden met Tice’s parents and reiterated his commitment toward “Austin’s long overdue return to his family.”

Syria promptly denied holding Tice or other Americans.

At the Beirut press conference, Ibrahim struck an upbeat tone.

“Matters might be moving slowly but they are going as they should," he said. “The back-and-forth negotiations did not stop.”

Tice, from Houston, is one of two Americans who went missing in Syria. The other is Majd Kamalmaz, a psychologist from Virginia, who vanished there in 2017.

Tice's work has been published by The Washington Post, McClatchy newspapers and other outlets. He went to Syria to cover the conflict that started in 2011, quickly descending into a full-blown war.

The war has killed hundreds of thousands and displaced nearly half of Syria's pre-conflict population of 23 million. More than 5 million of those are now outside Syria.



Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
TT
20

Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).

Lebanese authorities have begun curbing Hezbollah’s influence at Beirut’s Rafik Hariri International Airport by revoking the security clearances of numerous airport workers affiliated with the group.

The airport security apparatus has refused to renew these permits, significantly limiting Hezbollah’s reach within the facility.

According to an informed airport source, over 30 employees have been notified that their security clearances have expired and will not be renewed. Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, the source explained that the decision affected not only baggage handlers assisting passengers but also those loading and unloading aircraft, as well as personnel in baggage inspection and lost-and-found departments.

“The decision came as a shock to those affected, especially since many had worked at the airport for years with unrestricted movement,” the source said.

This move aims to enhance airport security and reduce Hezbollah’s influence to the lowest possible level. The source described the dismissed employees as “the party’s eyes and ears inside the airport, providing a constant flow of intelligence on the movement of travelers.”

The source also revealed that Hezbollah had previously exerted pressure to secure employment and access permits for its loyalists, ensuring that only individuals approved by the group could receive such authorizations.

“This is how Hezbollah expanded its control over the airport for decades,” the source added.

The crackdown follows Lebanon’s recent ban on Iranian civilian aircraft landing at Rafik Hariri International Airport, alongside stricter baggage inspections for passengers arriving from Iraq or those transiting through a third country from Iran. These measures were introduced after authorities discovered undeclared cash, suspected to be Iranian funds intended for Hezbollah.

The restrictions sparked protests from Hezbollah supporters, who staged week-long demonstrations in February, blocking airport access roads and causing disruptions to flight schedules.

The effort to limit Hezbollah’s reach extends beyond civilian workers. A senior security official told Asharq Al-Awsat that the purge will also affect security personnel within airport divisions, including customs officers, Internal Security Forces (ISF) personnel, and General Security officers.

“Many individuals are suspected of facilitating Hezbollah’s activities, whether out of political loyalty or financial incentives,” the official said.

The official described the ongoing changes as a “major security shake-up” aimed at replacing those under suspicion. The restructuring depends on internal reshuffles within Lebanon’s security agencies.

“The newly appointed security chiefs now have a clear picture of the situation. Upcoming personnel rotations will certainly include units operating at the airport,” the official confirmed.