Kuwait Marathon Returns Despite Pressure

 Photo of a Marathon event held in Kuwait City. (KUNA)
Photo of a Marathon event held in Kuwait City. (KUNA)
TT

Kuwait Marathon Returns Despite Pressure

 Photo of a Marathon event held in Kuwait City. (KUNA)
Photo of a Marathon event held in Kuwait City. (KUNA)

Kuwaiti MP Alia Al-Khaled announced on Wednesday that the Marathon organized by the National Bank of Kuwait would be launched on Saturday, Dec. 10 in Gulf Street.

The announcement came in the wake of a wave of anger on social media, following a former decision to cancel the event that brings together men and women from all over the country.

Khaled thanked the Minister of Interior and the Assistant Undersecretary for Traffic, for their quick response to resolve the issue and their coordination with the concerned authorities.

The marathon organizers had informed the media in Kuwait that a directive had been issued banning the musical bands accompanying the marathon event, before news circulated of a decision to cancel the marathon due to the joint participation of men and women.

A recently establishment parliamentary committee, called the “Negative Phenomena Committee” and concerned with “monitoring public behavior” and preserving what it considers the values of society, had issued an implicit warning through a parliamentary question submitted by one of its members.

Salafist MP Hamad Al-Obeid addressed the Minister of Interior, asking: “Are marathons being held in Kuwait with the approval of the relevant government agencies?”

He also questioned the “the extent of commitment to the Sharia controls for mixing.”

In response, Kuwaiti activists launched a campaign on social media against the committee, accusing it of imposing “moral guardianship on society, practicing restrictions on freedoms in Kuwait, and violating the constitution.”

Al-Khaled urged the Ministry of Interior not to succumb to extremist currents.

“Sports events and gatherings have health and societal goals and aim to consolidate relations between members of society, in addition to their recreational goals that reduce the psychological pressures experienced by citizens and residents,” she said in earlier remarks.

The deputy added: “The Ministry of the Interior must implement the law and not exercise authoritarianism for fear of questioning or threat. If we want reform and development, then this approach does not serve the hoped-for vision announced by the Emir and the Crown Prince in their speech.”



Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
TT

Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei stressed that Hajj pilgrims from his country have been registered regardless of their political and sectarian affiliations.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he added that his ministry was dealing with pilgrims from Houthi-held regions as Yemeni citizens and they are offered the same facilitations and services like all other citizens.

The ministry applies justice and equality away from political, partisan, and sectarian slogans, he declared. “Hajj is about worship, not slogans,” said the minister.

The ministry hopes that all pilgrims will be able to perform the Hajj smoothly and at ease, and that they return home safely.

Al-Wadaei revealed that 21,098 Yemeni’s have been registered to perform this year’s Hajj.

Moreover, he praised the facilitations that were offered to Yemeni pilgrims and the warm welcome they were accorded in Saudi Arabia.

He noted that their entry to the Kingdom, whether by land or air, was smooth, reflecting the facilitations offered by local authorities.

He hoped that God Almighty will bless the Kingdom, its leadership and people for the efforts they have invested in making the Hajj a smooth journey.

The Yemeni pilgrims have hailed the smooth measures and warm welcome from the moment they arrived in the Kingdom, saying the services have eased the burdens of travel and demonstrated Saudi generosity and hospitality.

The integrated and advanced border services and procedures have ensured that pilgrims from Yemen are registered in a short time and in an organized manner.

Upon their arrival at the Wadiah border crossing, the Yemeni pilgrims are welcomed with a variety of services, such as guidance, warm meals, cold and hot beverages, and souvenir gifts of their journey.


Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)

The Saudi leadership extended condolences to Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and to Crown Prince of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah, over the passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al-Malik Al-Sabah, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Saturday.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud sent separate cables extending deepest condolences and sincere sympathy to the Kuwaiti Emir, the Crown Prince and the family of the deceased.


Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
TT

Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia, participated in a joint phone call on Saturday with the US President and several leaders of Arab and Islamic countries, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Sunday.

The phone conversation included US President Donald Trump, King of Bahrain Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, President of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, King of Jordan Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein, President of Egypt Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, and Chief of Army Staff of Pakistan Field Marshal Asim Munir.

During the call, the leaders reviewed the latest regional developments, expressing deep appreciation for President Trump's leadership and his commitment to consultation and coordination with regional leaders.

They also acknowledged the mediation efforts led by Pakistan and the endeavors of the State of Qatar, which are aimed at reaching an agreement to halt escalation and bolster regional security and stability.