Perisic Looks to Seize the Big Moment Again at the World Cup

Football - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Croatia Press Conference - Main Media Center, Doha, Qatar - December 12, 2022 Croatia's Ivan Perisic during the press conference. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Croatia Press Conference - Main Media Center, Doha, Qatar - December 12, 2022 Croatia's Ivan Perisic during the press conference. (Reuters)
TT
20

Perisic Looks to Seize the Big Moment Again at the World Cup

Football - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Croatia Press Conference - Main Media Center, Doha, Qatar - December 12, 2022 Croatia's Ivan Perisic during the press conference. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Croatia Press Conference - Main Media Center, Doha, Qatar - December 12, 2022 Croatia's Ivan Perisic during the press conference. (Reuters)

The late run. The timing. The delivery. Leo Perisic has certainly learned a thing or two from his father. 

While Ivan Perisic has been his usual consistent self at the World Cup to help Croatia reach the semifinals, the winger’s young son has provided one of the more touching moments of the tournament. 

After Croatia beat Brazil in a penalty shootout in the quarterfinals, Leo somehow got on the field and sprinted toward the center circle, where Neymar was being consoled by Dani Alves. 

The kid, wearing a Croatia jersey with his father’s No. 4 on the back, was initially told to hang back by a Brazilian member of staff. He waited and waited, then reached out a hand toward Neymar. The Brazil superstar spotted him and ended up embracing him. 

Now it's time for his father to seize his moment at the World Cup — and he’s no stranger to that. Because just like teammate Luka Modric, Perisic keeps on proving he is the man for the big occasion for Croatia. 

Like scoring in the World Cup final in 2018. Like finding the net in five straight major tournaments to be the all-time top scorer in them for his country, with 10 goals. Like digging Croatia out of a hole against Japan in the round of 16 last week by heading in the equalizer, just when his team seemed out of ideas. 

Perisic is still going strong at the age of 33, still a permanent fixture on the left wing for his national team and still showing his ability to deliver crosses with both feet and make those late runs into the box. 

In that respect, his son has the perfect teacher. 

It was put to Perisic on Monday, the day before Croatia takes on Argentina in the semifinals, that he should be regarded as a World Cup great for what he has done for his national team in 2018 and again this year. As modest as ever, he played it down. 

“I said a lot of times, it is not so much about the goals or the records for me,” he said through an interpreter. “It is just important that the national team, or your club team, is winning. If I do a couple of goals or assists, it is a plus. I do what I am asked to do.” 

For Croatia, that means playing on the left side of a three-man attack. It gives him more opportunities to score and set up goals compared to when he plays for Tottenham, where he is used as a wing back by manager Antonio Conte. 

Maybe Tottenham is missing a trick. 

Because he is two-footed and so good in the air, Perisic is hard to keep down. Just ask Japan, which couldn't stop him from leaping to meet a cross into the area with a header into the bottom corner from near the penalty spot. 

Against France in the World Cup final four years ago, he made it 1-1 with a left-foot shot from just inside the area. It was also Perisic who equalized in the semifinals against England with a flying volley, sparking Croatia's come-from-behind 2-1 victory in Moscow. 

That win over England was described by coach Zlatko Dalić on Monday as the biggest win in Croatia's history. Perisic said the match against Argentina is just as big. 

“I think it’s going to be a similar match,” Perisic said. “England also had a strong squad but it depends a lot on us. If we play the right way, like against Brazil in the quarterfinals, everything is possible.” 

While this could be Perisic’s final World Cup, a lot more has been made of it being the last one for Modric, who is still the heartbeat of the team at the age of 37. 

That also will be motivating Perisic in the match against Argentina and its star player, Lionel Messi, who is likely playing in his last World Cup, too. 

“We saw a couple of days ago that Portugal, with Cristiano (Ronaldo), lost,” he said. "He was here five times at the World Cup and was unable to win. 

“Messi with Argentina is trying to do the same in his fifth time. He'll be doing his best to get to the final and win the trophy. But we will be giving 100% in our performance.” 



Navarro Says Players' Demand for More Prize Money at Majors is About Fair Treatment

CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA - APRIL 02: Emma Navarro of United States celebrates her win against Hailey Baptiste of United States during the Credit One Charleston Open at Credit One Stadium on April 02, 2025 in Charleston, South Carolina.   Matthew Stockman/Getty Images/AFP
CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA - APRIL 02: Emma Navarro of United States celebrates her win against Hailey Baptiste of United States during the Credit One Charleston Open at Credit One Stadium on April 02, 2025 in Charleston, South Carolina. Matthew Stockman/Getty Images/AFP
TT
20

Navarro Says Players' Demand for More Prize Money at Majors is About Fair Treatment

CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA - APRIL 02: Emma Navarro of United States celebrates her win against Hailey Baptiste of United States during the Credit One Charleston Open at Credit One Stadium on April 02, 2025 in Charleston, South Carolina.   Matthew Stockman/Getty Images/AFP
CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA - APRIL 02: Emma Navarro of United States celebrates her win against Hailey Baptiste of United States during the Credit One Charleston Open at Credit One Stadium on April 02, 2025 in Charleston, South Carolina. Matthew Stockman/Getty Images/AFP

American Emma Navarro said she had put her name to a letter signed by the world's top tennis players calling for significant improvements in prize money at the four Grand Slams as a way to ensure players receive equal treatment.
French outlet L'Equipe reported late on Wednesday that the top 20 ATP and WTA players had sent the letter to the Australian Open, the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open recently demanding a more equitable distribution of revenue.
While those at top of the game are able to benefit from increased prize money, players at the lower levels often struggle due to a lack of steady sponsorship as well as expensive coaching, travel and accommodation.
"I talked a little bit to the other players about it and felt like it was a good idea to sign," the world number 11 told reporters at the Charleston Open on Wednesday.
"I think there have been some sort of unfair pay ratios - I don't know the correct terminology - but in the past.
"I think it's a good cause to come together as players and make sure we're getting treated fairly."
The United States Tennis Association, which runs the US Open, confirmed it had received the letter and said it "welcomes open and direct conversations with players," while noting that it was proud of its history of leadership on player compensation.
"This includes offering equal prize money to men and women for more than 50 years and awarding the largest purse in tennis history at the 2024 US Open," the USTA said in a statement to Reuters.
"As the national governing body of tennis in the US, we are also focused on ensuring that we can properly support and fund our mission of growing tennis to inspire healthier people and communities everywhere."
Reuters has also contacted the other three Grand Slams seeking comment.
In 2024, a record $254 million in player compensation was awarded at the Grand Slams, up $23 million from 2023, and the trend is set to continue with the Australian Open in January boosting its prize money by 11.56% from last year.
At Melbourne Park this year, the champions collected nearly $2.2 million while players going out in the first round picked up around $83,000.
World number eight Zheng Qinwen told reporters more money from the Grand Slams would filter down to the lower ranks.
"I think that's going to benefit all the players, not only the top players, especially those that work hard during the year and need to get paid from the Grand Slams and have to survive," she added.
Zheng said tennis should follow the example of the NBA, where players earn in aggregate around 50% of basketball-related income.
"That's really positive, because if you look at basketball, they all get paid 50-50. The players, we're working really hard, because I'm a tennis player I know how much I've worked to arrive here," added the Olympic champion.
Zheng said she was unsure if the Grand Slams would listen to the demands of the players.
"We try to do what we can, and then let's see what the gods brings to us. But at least we're trying."