UN Special Envoy: Syria Remains Deeply Divided

The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, with Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad in Damascus, Dec. 07, 2022 (file photo: AFP)
The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, with Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad in Damascus, Dec. 07, 2022 (file photo: AFP)
TT

UN Special Envoy: Syria Remains Deeply Divided

The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, with Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad in Damascus, Dec. 07, 2022 (file photo: AFP)
The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, with Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad in Damascus, Dec. 07, 2022 (file photo: AFP)

The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, confirmed on Wednesday that Syria remains tattered and deeply divided, facing massive economic hardships of “epic proportions.”

Pedersen determined six priorities to proceed with a political process based on Resolution 2254, led by the UN, which requires unity from all parties of the international community.

Speaking at the Security Council meeting in New York to discuss the political and humanitarian situation in Syria, the envoy said the Syrian people are still facing a profound humanitarian, political, military, security, economic, and human rights crisis of “great complexity and almost unimaginable scale” in a country that remains de facto divided into several parts.

He noted that five foreign armies, multiple Syrian armed groups, and Security Council-listed terrorists are all active in Syria.

Serious abuses and violations of international humanitarian law and human rights continue across Syria, said the envoy.

He added that over a decade of destruction and war, corruption, sanctions, the Lebanese financial collapse, the recent COVID-19 pandemic, and the war in Ukraine have contributed to “a twin humanitarian and economic crisis of epic proportions.”

Pedersen explained that roughly half the pre-war population remains displaced, warning that Syria is witnessing growing reports of the illicit drug trade.

A solution was not imminent, said the envoy, but stressed his efforts to reach concrete measures that can establish confidence-building measures among parties and establish an actual process for implementing Resolution 2254.

The envoy reviewed his meetings with the Syrian parties, indicating that he will return to Damascus in February to hold meetings with Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad and the co-chair of the Syrian Constitutional Committee nominated by the government, Ahmed al-Kuzbari.

Pedersen previously met with the Syrian Negotiations Commission (SNC) President, Badr Jamous, and the co-chair of the Syrian Constitutional Committee, Hadi Albahra, in Geneva.

He also met Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister, Faisal bin Farhan, in Davos, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, and other envoys, explaining that he has priorities, namely a nationwide ceasefire remains essential to resolving the conflict.

Pedersen also prioritized renewing the framework in this Security Council on the humanitarian front, thanking the members of the Council for their unanimous adoption of Resolution 2672, which allowed a cross-border aid delivery mechanism into Syria through a crossing point on the Turkish border.

The third priority called for resuming the work of the Constitutional Committee and achieving more substantive progress in Geneva.

Pedersen called for advancing the file of missing persons and abductees, stressing that substantive steps must be taken to ensure the protection and rights of detainees.

The envoy also prioritized achieving step-by-step confidence-building measures, calling for taking verifiable steps that can positively affect the lives of Syrians.

He concluded that the diplomatic effort requires the involvement of all relevant Syrians and international actors, calling for a joint effort to unite behind a process owned and operated by the Syrians with UN facilitation.

During the meeting, Deputy Director of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Ghada Mudawi discussed the humanitarian situation in Syria, saying it was one of the “most complex humanitarian and protection emergencies in the world.”

Mudawi asserted that the Office needs renewed commitment from all parties, better access, sustained donor generosity, and rapid, substantial, and unearmarked pledges, expressing her hope that the Council will uphold its moral duty to support people in Syria.

- Western envoys

Meanwhile, representatives of France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States met at the envoys level in Geneva with the UN Special Envoy to discuss the crisis in Syria.

They issued a joint statement reaffirming their steadfast support for Pedersen’s efforts to reach a political solution to the Syrian conflict in line with UN Security Council Resolution 2254.

“We expressed our firm commitment to the implementation of all aspects of UNSCR 2254, including a nationwide ceasefire, the release of any arbitrarily detained persons, free and fair elections, and the need to build conditions for the safe, dignified, and voluntary return of refugees and internally displaced persons, consistent with UN standards,” read the statement.

They stressed that UNSCR 2254 remains the only viable solution to the conflict.

The representatives concluded that they look forward to working with partners in the region and opposition to engage fully under this framework, including the reciprocal step-for-step process, through the UN Special Envoy to ensure that a durable political solution remains within reach.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.