French Forces Seize Iranian-Supplied Weapons Bound for Yemen

Iranian weapons seized by the US Navy, bound to Houthis (US Navy)
Iranian weapons seized by the US Navy, bound to Houthis (US Navy)
TT

French Forces Seize Iranian-Supplied Weapons Bound for Yemen

Iranian weapons seized by the US Navy, bound to Houthis (US Navy)
Iranian weapons seized by the US Navy, bound to Houthis (US Navy)

The French naval special forces, along with their US and British counterparts, are now involved in combating the smuggling of Iranian weapons to the Houthi militias in Yemen, an indication of a noticeable change in France’s policy.

Paris announced that its Elite special forces seized a boatload of Iranian-supplied weapons and ammunition bound for Houthis in Yemen as part of a deepening effort to contain Tehran, according to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ), which cited officials familiar with the operation.

On Jan. 15, the officials said, a French warship stopped a suspected smuggling ship off the Yemeni coast where the specially trained French team boarded the boat.

On board, the officials said, the French military discovered more than 3,000 assault rifles, at least a half million rounds of ammunition, and over 20 antitank guided missiles.

According to the newspaper, the operation was coordinated with the US military and is "the consequence of a more proactive French role in the fight against arms smuggling in the Middle East.”

Besides the US, Britain and France have stepped up efforts to crack down on arms smuggling to the Houthis, according to the daily.

The US Navy 5th Fleet spokesman Commander, Tim Hawkins, told WSJ that in the past two months alone, they had prevented more than 5,000 weapons and 1.6 million rounds from reaching Yemen.

Last month, the US Navy intercepted weapons aboard a fishing vessel in the Gulf of Oman believed to have come from Iran and on its way to the Houthis, the third shipment to be intercepted in two months, according to the Bahrain-US Fifth Fleet.

The US naval forces announced that a fishing vessel in the Gulf of Oman on Jan. 6 was discovered smuggling 2,116 AK-47 assault rifles while transiting international waters along a maritime route from Iran to Yemen.

The statement confirmed that the naval forces seized the shipment, which was sailing on a route historically used to illicit traffic cargo to the Houthis, and was crewed by six Yemeni nationals.

In its statement, the US Navy stressed that "the direct or indirect supply, sale or transfer of weapons to the Houthis violates UN Security Council Resolution 2216 and international law. The transfer of the vessel and its crew for repatriation is in progress."

"This shipment is part of a continued pattern of destabilizing activity from Iran," said Vice Adm. Brad Cooper, commander of US Naval Forces Central Command, US 5th Fleet, and Combined Maritime Forces.

"These threats have our attention. We remain vigilant in detecting any maritime activity that impedes freedom of navigation or compromises regional security."

Last December, the US Navy intercepted two other Iranian arms shipments in the Gulf of Oman on their way to Yemen.

According to the Navy, one of the two shipments contained 50 tons of ammunition, fuses, and fuel for missiles, while the other shipment included 70 tons of ammonium perchlorate, which is usually used in the manufacture of rocket and missile fuel, as well as 100 tons of urea fertilizers.

The UN experts on Yemen indicated that there are land routes used by arms smugglers for the Houthis from the eastern border, in addition to the sea routes used by smuggling networks coming from Iran towards the Yemeni regions.

Last Tuesday, the Navy announced that the Coast Guard vessel seized illegal drugs worth a total estimated street value of $33 million from a fishing vessel transiting international waters in the Gulf of Oman.

The US statement did not indicate the shipment's destination, which included about 4,000 kilograms of hashish and 512 kilograms of methamphetamine.

"This is just the beginning of our work delivering maritime security operations in the region to stop illicit activities and drug smuggling," said UK Royal Navy Capt. James Byron, the CTF 150 commander.

"This comes as a result of a valued partnership between CTF 150 and all partner nations in Combined Maritime Forces."

In the latest statement, the Yemeni Defense Minister, Lt. Gen. Mohsen al-Daeri, accused the international community of being complacent with the Houthis.

In his meeting last Tuesday with the UN's Military Adviser, Brigadier General Antony Hayward, Daeri warned that if the international community continues to "turn a blind eye" to the "terrorist group," its actions would threaten the whole world.

He added that the legitimate army forces in his country are facing what he described as "a terrorist group that claims the divine right to rule," calling for a strong stand to restore the state and its institutions and establish peace and stability throughout Yemen.

Meanwhile, the head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi, lauded the regional, European, US, and international efforts to bring peace to Yemen.

During a meeting with European ambassadors currently visiting Aden, Alimi asserted that the Council is that of peace, but at the same time, it is determined and strong to deter any hostile escalation.

He informed ambassadors that the Houthi militia "has not and will never be a project for desired peace in Yemen."



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.