'No Infighting': Iran Opposition Seeks Elusive Unity to Unseat Regime

Five months of protests since Mahsa Amini's death have turned into a movement calling for regime change. ROBERTO SCHMIDT / AFP/File
Five months of protests since Mahsa Amini's death have turned into a movement calling for regime change. ROBERTO SCHMIDT / AFP/File
TT

'No Infighting': Iran Opposition Seeks Elusive Unity to Unseat Regime

Five months of protests since Mahsa Amini's death have turned into a movement calling for regime change. ROBERTO SCHMIDT / AFP/File
Five months of protests since Mahsa Amini's death have turned into a movement calling for regime change. ROBERTO SCHMIDT / AFP/File

Five months since protests broke out in Iran, a divided opposition in and outside of the country is seeking unity that has so far eluded foes of the country.

Opponents of the Shiite theocracy, which has ruled Iran since the 1979 revolution that ousted the shah, have long been known for bashing each other, said AFP.

But a push for unity on future strategy and leadership has emerged in the hopes of unseating the regime, as the protests provide it with its most significant challenge yet.

While mass demonstrations have subsided, public displays of anger remain, and opposition supporters insist it is only a matter of time before a new protest wave begins.

The protests, sparked by the September 16 death in custody of Mahsa Amini who had been arrested for allegedly violating strict dress rules, turned from a push against the obligatory headscarf for women into a movement calling for regime change.

"What is needed is a united front of pro-democracy forces that is broadly inclusive," Arash Azizi, a researcher at New York University, told AFP.

A tentative first step was a conference on Friday at Georgetown University in Washington that brought together figureheads of the exiled opposition -- unlikely allies only months before.

They included the US-based campaigner Masih Alinejad, Hamed Esmaeilion who represents families bereaved by Iran's shooting down of a Ukrainian airliner in 2020, and Reza Pahlavi, son of the toppled shah.

Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi told the conference: "Now is not the time for infighting."

The regime has survived 44 years "because we have not been united", Ebadi said in a video message.

- 'Not competing' -
Pahlavi has repeatedly emphasized he is not seeking the return of the monarchy but wants to play a part in creating the first secular democratic system in Iran's history.

Speakers at the Washington conference said they were drawing up a charter and would seek a transitional council followed by free elections.

"Today we are not competing with each other, we are not trying to seize control of leadership of this movement," Pahlavi said.

He has not commanded universal admiration within the opposition, with some queasy about a failure to distance himself from the authoritarian rule of his father, as well as show transparency about his family's wealth and halt the often aggressive posturing of pro-monarchy supporters on social media.

"Pahlavi is for sure divisive for some, as is the case with most other political leaders in today's Iran," said researcher Azizi, author of an upcoming book on the protest movement.

Tensions erupted on social media over the weekend when it emerged that Parviz Sabeti, a former high-ranking figure in the shah's notorious SAVAK secret police, had appeared at an opposition rally in Los Angeles.

But Pahlavi's stance in the protests has won plaudits among even left-leaning opposition figures and sparked attacks in hardline Iranian media.

"It is indisputable that he is the best-known figure in the opposition today and has attracted the most visible and organized support inside and outside the country," Azizi said.

- 'Driving force' -
Within Iran, the regime led by Ali Khamenei has been largely unfazed by calls for change.

Opponents on the ground have had to contend with a bloody crackdown that has seen hundreds killed, thousands arrested and so far four executed in connection with the protests.

Prominent dissidents like rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh, filmmaker Jafar Panahi and freedom of expression campaigner Hossein Ronaghi have all been released after stints in jail, while others such as activist Fatemeh Sepehri remain in prison.

Former prime minister Mir Hossein Mousavi this month called for "fundamental change" through a new constitution and free elections, echoing demands by anti-regime forces seeking more than reform from within the system.

Sotoudeh told CNN last week: "The protests have somewhat died down, but that doesn't mean that the people are no longer angry. They... still want regime change."

In a success for the opposition, organizers of the annual Munich Security Conference have invited civil society representatives to the meeting this week instead of Iranian officials.

But opposition leaders face an immense challenge in drawing up a charter that can win international support and legitimacy at home.

Not all factions are represented in the nascent coalition, which keeps its distance from the People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (MEK), an anti-monarchy group that insists it retains a network of supporters inside Iran.

"If there was one driving force for us to unite, it's to debunk this idea that we are so divided we cannot work together... towards democracy," said actor and activist Nazanin Boniadi.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.