Israeli Delegation Expelled from African Union Summit

African heads of state gather for a group photograph at the AU Summit. (Photo: AP)
African heads of state gather for a group photograph at the AU Summit. (Photo: AP)
TT

Israeli Delegation Expelled from African Union Summit

African heads of state gather for a group photograph at the AU Summit. (Photo: AP)
African heads of state gather for a group photograph at the AU Summit. (Photo: AP)

A senior Israeli diplomat on Saturday was asked to leave the session of the African Union’s annual summit in Ethiopia, in a move that some observers saw as “an African rejection of a fait accompli that Israel wants to impose on the continent,” which has long fought colonialism.

Meanwhile, Secretary-General of the League of Arab States Ahmed Aboul Gheit praised the “solid” Arab-African partnership, saying that he was looking forward for the fifth Arab-African summit, which will convene in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia later this year.

“This will achieve a quantum leap in the strategic partnership between the two sides, in a way that reflects the historical ties and common interests between them,” he told the conference.

For his part, Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh, stressed the importance of strengthening the Arab-African dialogue, adding that Palestine’s invitation to attend the African Union summit was “a message of solidarity with the inalienable Palestinian rights.”

Addressing the opening session of the summit, which is held in the Ethiopian capital, Shtayyeh thanked the African leaders for the opportunity to speak on behalf of Palestine from the AU platform.

“A free Africa, which defeated colonialism and lit a bright future for its people, today enjoys… free movement and free trade away from military and customs barriers,” he said.

The Palestinian premier voiced his appreciation for the African countries’ support to Palestine, saying his participation in the AU summit confirmed the endeavor to “work together for the well-being of Africa, to be free from violence, poverty and unemployment.”

Shtayyeh noted that his country was facing “the last colonization on earth,” represented by the Israeli settlement of the Palestinian land.

“This colonization was recently crowned by the new Israeli government with more land confiscation,” he said, adding that Palestinian residents have become “refugees through the construction of more Israeli settlements approved by the current government.”

This came as a video widely circulated on social media platforms showed security personnel escorting Sharon Bar-Li, deputy for African affairs in the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, out of the summit hall, following a dispute over Israel’s accreditation to the bloc.

“Israel looks harshly upon the incident in which the deputy director for Africa, Ambassador Sharon Bar-Li, was removed from the African Union hall despite her status as an accredited observer with entrance badges,” the Israeli foreign ministry later said in a statement.

Moussa Faki, Chairperson of the African Union Commission in 2021, agreed unilaterally, and without consulting the AU member-states, to accredit Israel as an “observer”. The move sparked a dispute within the organization.

The African Union summit last year decided to suspend Israel’s accreditation and to form a committee of seven members, headed by Algeria and South Africa, to determine whether or not to grant Israel the status of “observer”.

Officials from South Africa and Algeria said earlier that granting Israel an observer status “contradicts the positions of the African Union in support of the Palestinians.”

In response to a question about Israel’s accusations against South Africa and Algeria of being behind the expulsion of its envoy, Vincent Magwenya, spokesman for South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, told AFP: “They must substantiate their claim.”

Commenting on the incident, Ambassador Salah Halima, former Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Chairperson of the Egyptian Parliament for African Affairs committee, said that the decision to grant Israel the status of observer at the African Union was a “mistake from the beginning.”

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, Halima said that expelling the Israeli envoy and preventing her from attending the AU sessions “does not violate diplomatic rules,” pointing out that Israel’s membership was suspended based on a previous decision of the summit.

He also noted that Israel’s membership in the Organization of the African Union “contradicts the history of the organization and the continent,” noting that Africa fought a long struggle to resist colonialism and occupation of its lands by foreign countries.

More than two-thirds of the AU member states recognize Israel and maintain diplomatic relations with it.



Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
TT

Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, in ‌an interview made public on Wednesday, said that any new US strike on Iran would have serious consequences and called for restraint to find a solution to enable Iran to pursue a peaceful nuclear program.

Lavrov's interview with Saudi Arabia's Al-Arabiya television was aired a day after US and Iranian negotiators held indirect talks in Geneva to head off a new mounting crisis between Washington and Tehran, Reuters said.

"The consequences are not good. There have already been strikes on Iran on ‌nuclear sites ‌under the control of the International Atomic ‌Energy ⁠Agency. From what ⁠we can judge there were real risks of a nuclear incident," Lavrov said in the interview, which was posted on his ministry's website.

"I am carefully watching reactions in the region from Arab countries, Gulf monarchies. No one wants an increase in tension. Everyone understands this is playing with fire."

Boosting ⁠tensions, he said, could undo the ‌positive steps of recent years, including ‌improved relations between Iran and nearby countries, notably Saudi Arabia.

A senior ‌US official told Reuters on Wednesday that Iran was ‌expected to submit a written proposal on how to resolve its standoff with the United States after the talks in Geneva.

US national security advisers met in the White House on Wednesday and ‌were told all US military forces deployed to the region should be in place ⁠by mid-March, ⁠the official said.

The United States wants Iran to give up its nuclear program, and Iran has adamantly refused and denied it is trying to develop an atomic weapon.

Lavrov said Arab countries were sending signals to Washington "clearly calling for restraint and a search for an agreement that will not infringe on Iran's lawful rights and ... guarantee that Iran has a purely peaceful nuclear enrichment program".

Russia, he said, remained in close, regular contact with Iran's leaders "and we have no reason to doubt that Iran sincerely wants to resolve this problem on the basis of observing the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty".


AI Cannot Be Left to 'Whims of a Few Billionaires', UN Chief Says

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
TT

AI Cannot Be Left to 'Whims of a Few Billionaires', UN Chief Says

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS

UN chief Antonio Guterres warned technology leaders Thursday of the risks of artificial intelligence, saying its future cannot be left to "the whims of a few billionaires".

Speaking at a global AI summit in India, the UN chief called on tech tycoons to support a $3 billion global fund to ensure open access to the fast-advancing technology for all.

"AI must belong to everyone," he said.

"The future of AI cannot be decided by a handful of countries -- or left to the whims of a few billionaires," he added, warning the world risked deepening inequality unless urgent steps were taken.

"Done right, AI can... accelerate breakthroughs in medicine, expand learning opportunities, strengthen food security, bolster climate action and disaster preparedness and improve access to vital public services," he said.

"But it can also deepen inequality, amplify bias and fuel harm."

The UN has set up an AI scientific advisory body to help countries make decisions about the revolutionary technology.

Guterres warned that people must be protected from exploitation, and that "no child should be a test subject for unregulated AI".

He pressed for global guardrails to ensure oversight and accountability, and the creation of "Global Fund on AI" to build basic capacity.

"Our target is $3 billion," he told the conference, which includes national leaders as well as tech CEOs, including Sam Altman of OpenAI and Google's Sundar Pichai.

"That's less than one percent of the annual revenue of a single tech company. A small price for AI diffusion that benefits all, including the businesses building AI."

Without investment, "many countries will be logged out of the AI age", exacerbating global divides, he said.

He also cautioned that as AI's energy and water demands soar, data centers must switch to clean power, rather than "shift costs to vulnerable communities".


US Military Tells Trump It's ‘Ready’ to Strike Iran as Soon as Saturday

A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
TT

US Military Tells Trump It's ‘Ready’ to Strike Iran as Soon as Saturday

A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)

Top national security officials have told US President Donald Trump the military is ready for potential strikes on Iran as soon as Saturday, but the timeline for any action is likely to extend beyond this weekend, sources familiar with the discussions told CBS News.

Trump has not yet made a final decision about whether to strike, said the officials, who spoke under condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive national matters.

The conversations have been described as fluid and ongoing, as the White House weighs the risks of escalation and the political and military consequences of restraint, added CBS.

Over the next three days, the Pentagon is moving some personnel temporarily out of the Middle East region — primarily to Europe or back to the United States — ahead of potential action or counterattacks by Iran if the US were to move ahead with its operation, according to multiple officials.

It's standard practice for the Pentagon to shift assets and personnel ahead of a potential US military activity and doesn't necessarily signal an attack on Iran is imminent, one of the sources told CBS.

Contacted by CBS News on Wednesday afternoon, a Pentagon spokesperson said they had no information to provide.

Iran was discussed in the White House Situation Room on Wednesday, a US official and a senior military official told CBS News. All military forces deployed to the region are expected to be in place by mid-March.

Axios had also said that a war between the United States and Iran is looming — and there are several factors suggesting President Trump might push the button soon.

On Wednesday, Iran's top diplomat Abbas Araghchi said that Tehran was "drafting" a framework for future talks with the United States, as the US energy secretary said Washington would stop Iran's nuclear ambitions "one way or another".