Israel Demolishes Homes in Jerusalem, Prepares for Evictions in Sheikh Jarrah

Israeli bulldozers demolish a Palestinian home in the Wadi al-Joz neighborhood in Jerusalem (AFP)
Israeli bulldozers demolish a Palestinian home in the Wadi al-Joz neighborhood in Jerusalem (AFP)
TT

Israel Demolishes Homes in Jerusalem, Prepares for Evictions in Sheikh Jarrah

Israeli bulldozers demolish a Palestinian home in the Wadi al-Joz neighborhood in Jerusalem (AFP)
Israeli bulldozers demolish a Palestinian home in the Wadi al-Joz neighborhood in Jerusalem (AFP)

Israel demolished three houses on Monday in the Wadi al-Joz neighborhood in occupied East Jerusalem under the pretext of construction without a permit.

The Israeli move violates the Aqaba understandings, which stipulated the cessation of unilateral measures, which the Palestinians limited to storming the Palestinian Authority (PA) areas, demolishing Jerusalem homes, building settlements, and deducting tax funds. Israel did not commit to any of the demands.

Israeli forces stormed the Palestinian neighborhood, cordoned off the area, and ordered the residents of the two houses belonging to the Totah family to evacuate them in preparation for their demolition.

Yahya Totah, the owner of one of the houses, said that the Israeli municipality demolished several of the family's homes in the same area since 2015. He said 150 square meters of the building housing 20 members of his family were destroyed.

Several attempts to get a license for building the houses have gone in vain. The Israeli municipality refused to grant them a permit under the pretext that they were built on land where construction is banned.

Israeli law enforcement forces plan to evacuate six other Palestinian families from their homes in Jerusalem this month, which Israeli media described as "an unprecedented record number in one month."

Ynet quoted observers warning that enforcing eviction orders could raise tensions and lead to riots and confrontations ahead of Ramadan and Jewish Passover.

The Salem family, consisting of three generations and four young children in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood, also faces eviction.

Last year, the family petitioned the Magistrate's Court in Jerusalem, which ruled in their favor, before referring the case to the Execution and Collection Authority for further investigation and holding another session on March 9 to decide on the issue of demolition.

If the enforcement authority decides to rule in favor of the real estate owners, the eviction is expected to occur this month.

The evictions are carried out based on an Israeli law called the Legal and Administrative Arrangements Law, according to which Jewish families who owned property and lands in East Jerusalem before 1948 can claim their ownership.

Ynet stated that the eviction of Jerusalemite families was taking place at the request of settlement companies and Jewish families, claiming they owned these properties before the Nakba in 1948.

The newspaper warned that upcoming evictions pose a significant indication of escalation.

Israel has a list of dozens of homes for demolition or eviction over the next few months, under pressure from the Israeli Minister of National Security, Itamar Ben-Gvir, who launched a campaign to demolish the homes of Arab Jerusalemites in response to Palestinian operations in the city.

Kan radio station reported that Ben-Gvir ordered the demolition of houses during Ramadan, although Israel did not carry out home demolitions during Ramadan in the past years to avoid tension with the Palestinians.

The Minister's instructions come in defiance of the Palestinians, the international community, and even Israeli security officials, who warned him against going too far with his campaign and called on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to stop it.

Kan said Ben-Gvir ignored the warnings and demanded the police implement his policy.

It remains to be seen whether Netanyahu could control Ben-Gvir's plans.

The Palestinian Authority warned that the Minister's plans would fuel tension.

The Palestinian foreign ministry condemned the Ben-Gvir decision, claiming he plans to incite hate and violence in the region and are part of a plan to "Judaize Jerusalem," aiming to limit the Palestinian presence and impose Israeli control over the city, its churches, and its mosques, namely al-Aqsa Mosque.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.