One of Silicon Valley's Top Banks Fails; Assets are Seized

The four biggest US banks lost a whopping $52 billion in market value on Thursday. TIMOTHY A. CLARY / AFP/File
The four biggest US banks lost a whopping $52 billion in market value on Thursday. TIMOTHY A. CLARY / AFP/File
TT

One of Silicon Valley's Top Banks Fails; Assets are Seized

The four biggest US banks lost a whopping $52 billion in market value on Thursday. TIMOTHY A. CLARY / AFP/File
The four biggest US banks lost a whopping $52 billion in market value on Thursday. TIMOTHY A. CLARY / AFP/File

Regulators rushed Friday to seize the assets of one of Silicon Valley's top banks, marking the largest failure of a US financial institution since the height of the financial crisis almost 15 years ago.

Silicon Valley Bank, the nation’s 16th-largest bank, failed after depositors hurried to withdraw money this week amid anxiety over the bank’s health. It was the second biggest bank failure in US history after the collapse of Washington Mutual in 2008.
The bank served mostly technology workers and venture capital-backed companies, including some of the industry's best-known brands.

“This is an extinction-level event for startups,” said Garry Tan, CEO of Y Combinator, a startup incubator that launched Airbnb, DoorDash and Dropbox and has referred hundreds of entrepreneurs to the bank.

“I literally have been hearing from hundreds of our founders asking for help on how they can get through this. They are asking, ‘Do I have to furlough my workers?’”

There appeared to be little chance of the chaos spreading in the broader banking sector, as it did in the months leading up to the Great Recession. The biggest banks — those most likely to cause an economic meltdown — have healthy balance sheets and plenty of capital.

Nearly half of the US technology and health care companies that went public last year after getting early funding from venture capital firms were Silicon Valley Bank customers, according to the bank’s website.

The bank also boasted of its connections to leading tech companies such as Shopify, ZipRecruiter and one of the top venture capital firms, Andreesson Horowitz.

Tan estimated that nearly one-third of Y Combinator’s startups will not be able to make payroll at some point in the next month if they cannot access their money.

Internet TV provider Roku was among casualties of the bank collapse. It said in a regulatory filing Friday that about 26% of its cash — $487 million — was deposited at Silicon Valley Bank.

Roku said its deposits with SVB were largely uninsured and it didn’t know “to what extent” it would be able to recover them.

As part of the seizure, California bank regulators and the FDIC transferred the bank's assets to a newly created institution — the Deposit Insurance Bank of Santa Clara. The new bank will start paying out insured deposits on Monday. Then the FDIC and California regulators plan to sell off the rest of the assets to make other depositors whole.

There was unease in the banking sector all week, with shares tumbling by double digits. Then news of Silicon Valley Bank's distress pushed shares of almost all financial institutions even lower Friday.

The failure arrived with incredible speed. Some industry analysts suggested Friday that the bank was still a good company and a wise investment. Meanwhile, Silicon Valley Bank executives were trying to raise capital and find additional investors. However, trading in the bank’s shares was halted before stock market's opening bell due to extreme volatility.

Shortly before noon, the FDIC moved to shutter the bank. Notably, the agency did not wait until the close of business, which is the typical approach. The FDIC could not immediately find a buyer for the bank's assets, signaling how fast depositors cashed out.

The White House said Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen was “watching closely.” The administration sought to reassure the public that the banking system is much healthier than during the Great Recession.

“Our banking system is in a fundamentally different place than it was, you know, a decade ago,” said Cecilia Rouse, chair of the White House Council of Economic Advisers. “The reforms that were put in place back then really provide the kind of resilience that we’d like to see.”

In 2007, the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression rippled across the globe after mortgage-backed securities tied to ill-advised housing loans collapsed in value. The panic on Wall Street led to the demise of Lehman Brothers, a firm founded in 1847.
Because major banks had extensive exposure to one another, the crisis led to a cascading breakdown in the global financial system, putting millions out of work.

At the time of its failure, Silicon Valley Bank, which is based in Santa Clara, California, had $209 billion in total assets, the FDIC said. It was unclear how many of its deposits were above the $250,000 insurance limit, but previous regulatory reports showed that lots of accounts exceeded that amount.

The bank announced plans Thursday to raise up to $1.75 billion in order to strengthen its capital position. That sent investors scurrying and shares plunged 60%. They tumbled lower still Friday before the opening of the Nasdaq, where the bank's shares were traded.

As its name implied, Silicon Valley Bank was a major financial conduit between the technology sector, startups and tech workers. It was seen as good business sense to develop a relationship with the bank if a startup founder wanted to find new investors or go public.

Conceived in 1983 by co-founders Bill Biggerstaff and Robert Medearis during a poker game, the bank leveraged its Silicon Valley roots to become a financial cornerstone in the tech industry.

Bill Tyler, director of operations for TWG Supply in Grapevine, Texas, said he first realized something was wrong when his employees texted him at 6:30 a.m. Friday to complain that they did not receive their paychecks.

TWG, which has just 18 employees, had already sent the money for the checks to a payroll services provider that used Silicon Valley Bank. Tyler was scrambling to figure out how to pay his workers.

"We’re waiting on roughly $27,000," he said. "It’s already not a timely payment. It’s already an uncomfortable position. I don’t want to ask any employees, to say, ‘Hey, can you wait until mid-next week to get paid?’”

Silicon Valley Bank's ties to the tech sector added to its troubles. Technology stocks have been hit hard in the past 18 months after a growth surge during the pandemic, and layoffs have spread throughout the industry. Venture capital funding has also been declining.

At the same time, the bank was hit hard by the Federal Reserve's fight against inflation and an aggressive series of interest rate hikes to cool the economy.

As the Fed raises its benchmark interest rate, the value of generally stable bonds starts to fall. That is not typically a problem, but when depositors grow anxious and begin withdrawing their money, banks sometimes have to sell those bonds before they mature to cover the exodus.

That is exactly what happened to Silicon Valley Bank, which had to sell $21 billion in highly liquid assets to cover the sudden withdrawals. It took a $1.8 billion loss on that sale.

Ashley Tyrner, CEO of FarmboxRx, said she had spoken to several friends whose businesses are backed by venture capital. She described them as being “beside themselves” over the bank's failure. Tyrner's chief operating officer tried to withdraw her company's funds on Thursday but failed to do so in time.

“One friend said they couldn't make payroll today and cried when they had to inform 200 employees because of this issue,” Tyrner said.



Dammam Airport Launches Saudi Arabia’s First Category III Automatic Landing System  

Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)
Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)
TT

Dammam Airport Launches Saudi Arabia’s First Category III Automatic Landing System  

Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)
Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)

Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Region, inaugurated on Monday two major aviation projects at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam: a dedicated General Aviation Terminal for private flights and the Kingdom’s first Category III Instrument Landing System (ILS), which enables fully automatic aircraft landings in low-visibility conditions.

The ceremony was attended by Minister of Transport and Logistics Services and Chairman of the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) Saleh bin Nasser Al-Jasser and President of GACA and Chairman of the Saudi Airports Holding Company Abdulaziz bin Abdullah Al-Duailej.

Prince Saud said the projects represent a qualitative leap in strengthening the aviation ecosystem in the Eastern Region, boosting the airport’s operational readiness and its regional and international competitiveness.

The introduction of a Category III automatic landing system for the first time in Saudi Arabia reflects the advanced technological progress achieved by the national aviation sector and its commitment to the highest international standards, he stressed.

The General Aviation Terminal marks a significant upgrade to airport infrastructure. Spanning more than 23,000 square meters, the facility is designed to ensure efficient operations and fast passenger processing.

The main terminal covers 3,935 square meters, while aircraft parking areas extend over 12,415 square meters with capacity to accommodate four aircraft simultaneously. An additional 6,665 square meters are allocated to support services and car parking, improving traffic flow and delivering a premium travel experience for private aviation users.

The upgraded Category III ILS, considered among the world’s most advanced air navigation systems, allows aircraft to land automatically during poor visibility, ensuring flight continuity while enhancing safety and operational efficiency.

The project includes rehabilitation of the western runway, extending 4,000 meters, along with a further 4,000 meters of aircraft service roads. More than 3,200 lighting units have been installed under an integrated advanced system to meet modern operational requirements and support all aircraft types.

Al-Jasser said the inauguration of the two projects translates the objectives of the Aviation Program under the National Transport and Logistics Strategy into concrete achievements.

The developments bolster airport capacity and efficiency, support the sustainability of the aviation sector, and strengthen the competitiveness of Saudi airports, he added.

Al-Duailej, for his part, said the initiatives align with Saudi Vision 2030 by positioning the Kingdom as a global logistics hub and a leading aviation center in the Middle East.

The new terminal reflects high standards of privacy and efficiency for general aviation users, he remarked, noting the selection of Universal Aviation as operator of the general aviation terminals in Dammam and Jeddah.

Dammam Airports Company operates three airports in the Eastern Region: King Fahd International Airport, Al-Ahsa International Airport, and Qaisumah International Airport.


Saudi Arabia to Launch Real Estate Indicators, Expand ‘Market Balance’ Program Nationwide

The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 
The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 
TT

Saudi Arabia to Launch Real Estate Indicators, Expand ‘Market Balance’ Program Nationwide

The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 
The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 

Saudi Arabia will roll out real estate market indicators in the first quarter of this year and expand the Real Estate Market Balance program to all regions of the Kingdom, following its initial implementation in Riyadh, Minister of Municipalities and Housing Majed Al-Hogail announced on Monday.

Al-Hogail, who also chairs the General Real Estate Authority, made the remarks during a government press conference in Riyadh attended by Minister of Media Salman Al-Dossary, President of the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA) Abdullah Alghamdi, and other senior officials.

Al-Hogail said the housing and social ecosystem now includes more than 313 non-profit organizations supported by over 345,000 volunteers working alongside the public and private sectors.

He highlighted tangible outcomes, including housing assistance for 106,000 social security beneficiaries and the prevention of housing loss in 200,000 cases.

Development Initiatives

He noted that the non-profit sector is driving impact through more than 300 development initiatives and over 1,000 services, while empowering 100 non-profit entities and activating supervisory units across 17 municipalities.

Among key programs, Al-Hogail highlighted the Rental Support Program, which assisted more than 6,600 families last year, expanding the reach of housing aid.

He also traced the growth of the “Jood Eskan” initiative, which began by supporting 100 families and has since evolved into a nationwide program that has provided homes to more than 50,000 families across the Kingdom.

Since its launch, the initiative has attracted more than 4.5 million donors, with total contributions exceeding SAR 5 billion ($1.3 billion) since 2021.

Al-Hogail added that the introduction of electronic signatures has reduced the homeownership process from 14 days to just two.

In 2025 alone, more than 150,000 digital transactions were completed, and the needs of over 400,000 beneficiary families were assessed through integrated national databases. A mobile application for “Jood Eskan” is currently being deployed to further streamline services.

International Support and Economic Growth

Minister of Media Salman Al-Dossary said the Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen launched 28 new development projects and initiatives worth SAR 1.9 billion ($506.6 million), including fuel grants for power generation and support for health, energy, education, and transport sectors across Yemeni governorates.

He also reported strong growth in the communications and information technology sector, which created more than 406,000 jobs by the end of 2025, up from 250,000 in 2018, an 80 percent cumulative increase. The sector’s market size reached nearly SAR 190 billion ($50.6 billion) in 2025.

Industry, Localization, and Philanthropy

In the industrial sector, investments exceeded SAR 9 billion ($2.4 billion), alongside five new renewable energy projects signed under the sixth phase of the National Renewable Energy Program.

Industrial and logistics investments worth more than SAR 8.8 billion ($2.34 billion) were also signed by the Saudi Authority for Industrial Cities and Technology Zones.

Al-Dossary said the Kingdom now hosts nearly 30,000 operating industrial facilities with total investments of about SAR 1.2 trillion ($320 billion), while the Saudi Export-Import Bank has provided SAR 115 billion ($30.6 billion) in credit facilities since its establishment.

On workforce development, nearly 100,000 social security beneficiaries were empowered through employment, training, and productive projects by late 2025, with localization rates in several specialized professions reaching as high as 70 percent.

Alghamdi said total donations through the “Ehsan” platform have reached SAR 14 billion ($3.7 billion) across 330 million transactions, reflecting the rapid growth of digital philanthropy in the Kingdom.


China's Russian Oil Imports to Hit New Record in February as India Cuts Back

Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
TT

China's Russian Oil Imports to Hit New Record in February as India Cuts Back

Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 

China's Russian oil imports are set to climb for a third straight month to a new record high in February as independent refiners snapped up deeply discounted cargoes after India slashed purchases, according to traders and ship-tracking data.

Russian crude shipments are estimated to amount to 2.07 million barrels per day for February deliveries into China, surpassing January's estimated rate of 1.7 million bpd, an early assessment by Vortexa Analytics shows.

Kpler's provisional data showed February imports at 2.083 million bpd, up from 1.718 million bpd in January, according to Reuters.

China has since November replaced India as Moscow's top client for seaborne shipments as Western sanctions over the war in Ukraine and pressure to clinch a trade deal with the US forced New Delhi to scale back Russian oil imports to a two-year low in December.

India's Russian crude imports are estimated to fall further to 1.159 million bpd in February, Kpler data showed.

Independent Chinese refiners, known as teapots, are the world's largest consumers of US sanctioned oil from Russia, Iran and Venezuela.

“For the quality you get from processing Russian oil versus Iranian, Russian supplies have become relatively more competitive,” said a senior Chinese trader who regularly deals with teapots.

ESPO blend last traded at $8 to $9 a barrel discounts to ICE Brent for March deliveries, while Iranian Light, a grade of similar quality, was last assessed at $10 to $11 below ICE Brent, the trader added.

Uncertainty since January over whether the US would launch military strikes on Iran if negotiations for a nuclear deal failed to yield Washington's desired results curbed buying from Chinese teapots and traders, said Emma Li, Vortexa's China analyst.

“For teapots, Russian oil looks more reliable now as people are worried about loadings of Iranian oil in case of a military confrontation,” Li said.

Part of the elevated Russian oil purchases came from larger independent refiners outside the teapot hub of Shandong, Li added.

Vortexa estimated Iranian oil deliveries into China – often banded by traders as Malaysian to circumvent US sanctions - eased to 1.03 million bpd this month, down from January's 1.25 million bpd.