Sharm El-Sheikh to Host Meeting to Ease Palestinian-Israeli Tensions ahead of Ramadan

12 March 2023, Palestinian Territories, Nablus: Palestinians walk past closed shops during a general strike in protest over the killing of three Palestinians by the Israeli army earlier that day. (dpa)
12 March 2023, Palestinian Territories, Nablus: Palestinians walk past closed shops during a general strike in protest over the killing of three Palestinians by the Israeli army earlier that day. (dpa)
TT

Sharm El-Sheikh to Host Meeting to Ease Palestinian-Israeli Tensions ahead of Ramadan

12 March 2023, Palestinian Territories, Nablus: Palestinians walk past closed shops during a general strike in protest over the killing of three Palestinians by the Israeli army earlier that day. (dpa)
12 March 2023, Palestinian Territories, Nablus: Palestinians walk past closed shops during a general strike in protest over the killing of three Palestinians by the Israeli army earlier that day. (dpa)

Egypt’s Sharm el-Sheikh will host on Sunday a security meeting to ease Palestinian-Israeli tensions ahead of the holy fasting month of Ramadan that begins next week.

The meeting will be attended by Palestinian and Israeli security delegations, as well as representatives from the United States, Jordan and Egypt, “to reach settlements that would achieve calm in Palestine during Ramadan.”

The US is exerting pressure on the Palestinians and Israelis to respond to these efforts and commit to attending the meeting, sources told Asharq Al-Awsat on condition of anonymity.

The meeting will follow up on the agreements reached in Aqaba, Jordan, in February.

Aqaba hosted the first meeting of its kind in years between Palestinians and Israelis and regional and international officials.

Its closing statement said an agreement was reached to cease unilateral measures. The gatherers also approved a series of security measures that would de-escalate tensions in the occupied Palestinian Territories, including halting Israeli raids in Palestinian cities and freezing Israeli settlement plans for the coming months.

The sources said CIA chief William Burns was spearheading the American efforts with the Palestinians and Israelis so that they can positively respond to the Egyptian and Jordanian calls for calm.

Direct and close coordination is underway with the relevant Egyptian and Jordanian agencies, they revealed.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was delivered a message urging him to rein in some of his government officials, who have been stoking tensions with the Palestinians.

Israeli officials have tried to renege on the Aqaba pledges. Finance Minister Betzalel Smotrich declared soon after the meeting that the freezing of settlements in the occupied West Bank will not happen.

National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir said: “What happened in Jordan will stay in Jordan.” He also called for a return of assassinations against Palestinian resistance faction leaders.

The sources said the Egyptian efforts to ease tensions are “clearly and strongly” supported by American officials.

The Sharm el-Sheikh meetings will kick off a series of security and political meetings that will be hosted by the countries involved.

Israeli officials, however, are keen for the meetings to be limited to security affairs, while the Palestinians believe it is necessary to tackle relevant political issues as well.

Contacts are underway with the Palestinian Authority and several Palestinian factions to avoid any escalation ahead of Ramadan.

The armed group Hamas had warned Israel on Tuesday against any attempt to stoke tensions at the al-Aqsa Mosque during the holy month.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.