Sharm El-Sheikh to Host Meeting to Ease Palestinian-Israeli Tensions ahead of Ramadan

12 March 2023, Palestinian Territories, Nablus: Palestinians walk past closed shops during a general strike in protest over the killing of three Palestinians by the Israeli army earlier that day. (dpa)
12 March 2023, Palestinian Territories, Nablus: Palestinians walk past closed shops during a general strike in protest over the killing of three Palestinians by the Israeli army earlier that day. (dpa)
TT

Sharm El-Sheikh to Host Meeting to Ease Palestinian-Israeli Tensions ahead of Ramadan

12 March 2023, Palestinian Territories, Nablus: Palestinians walk past closed shops during a general strike in protest over the killing of three Palestinians by the Israeli army earlier that day. (dpa)
12 March 2023, Palestinian Territories, Nablus: Palestinians walk past closed shops during a general strike in protest over the killing of three Palestinians by the Israeli army earlier that day. (dpa)

Egypt’s Sharm el-Sheikh will host on Sunday a security meeting to ease Palestinian-Israeli tensions ahead of the holy fasting month of Ramadan that begins next week.

The meeting will be attended by Palestinian and Israeli security delegations, as well as representatives from the United States, Jordan and Egypt, “to reach settlements that would achieve calm in Palestine during Ramadan.”

The US is exerting pressure on the Palestinians and Israelis to respond to these efforts and commit to attending the meeting, sources told Asharq Al-Awsat on condition of anonymity.

The meeting will follow up on the agreements reached in Aqaba, Jordan, in February.

Aqaba hosted the first meeting of its kind in years between Palestinians and Israelis and regional and international officials.

Its closing statement said an agreement was reached to cease unilateral measures. The gatherers also approved a series of security measures that would de-escalate tensions in the occupied Palestinian Territories, including halting Israeli raids in Palestinian cities and freezing Israeli settlement plans for the coming months.

The sources said CIA chief William Burns was spearheading the American efforts with the Palestinians and Israelis so that they can positively respond to the Egyptian and Jordanian calls for calm.

Direct and close coordination is underway with the relevant Egyptian and Jordanian agencies, they revealed.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was delivered a message urging him to rein in some of his government officials, who have been stoking tensions with the Palestinians.

Israeli officials have tried to renege on the Aqaba pledges. Finance Minister Betzalel Smotrich declared soon after the meeting that the freezing of settlements in the occupied West Bank will not happen.

National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir said: “What happened in Jordan will stay in Jordan.” He also called for a return of assassinations against Palestinian resistance faction leaders.

The sources said the Egyptian efforts to ease tensions are “clearly and strongly” supported by American officials.

The Sharm el-Sheikh meetings will kick off a series of security and political meetings that will be hosted by the countries involved.

Israeli officials, however, are keen for the meetings to be limited to security affairs, while the Palestinians believe it is necessary to tackle relevant political issues as well.

Contacts are underway with the Palestinian Authority and several Palestinian factions to avoid any escalation ahead of Ramadan.

The armed group Hamas had warned Israel on Tuesday against any attempt to stoke tensions at the al-Aqsa Mosque during the holy month.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."