UN Envoy to Sudan: We Are Closest We Have Been to a Solution

UN Special Envoy to Sudan, Volker Perthes. (Reuters)
UN Special Envoy to Sudan, Volker Perthes. (Reuters)
TT

UN Envoy to Sudan: We Are Closest We Have Been to a Solution

UN Special Envoy to Sudan, Volker Perthes. (Reuters)
UN Special Envoy to Sudan, Volker Perthes. (Reuters)

The UN Special Envoy to Sudan, who heads the mission of the UN Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS), Volker Perthes, expressed his optimism about the chances of achieving progress in the political process, stressing that Sudan is "closer than ever" to reaching a solution, despite the continuing challenges.

In briefing the Security Council on Monday, Perthes said the Sudanese parties are now closest to reaching a political settlement and returning to civilian rule, referring to the political framework agreement signed by the Sudanese army and a wide range of civilian parties last year.

Perthes believed that it was a "watershed moment" and ushered in a new phase of the political process, which aimed to lead to a new transitional period.

In December, the military parties signed the framework agreement with the main opposition coalition, the Forces of Freedom and Change, and other political forces, paving the way for a two-year civilian-led transition to elections.

Perthes reviewed the efforts made by the UNITAMS mission during the past months in holding several conferences to discuss outstanding issues and involve the most significant number of parties in the discussions.

He explained that each consultation included hundreds of women, men, and youth, most of whom came from outside the capital, representing a broad social, professional, and political spectrum.

The UN official revealed that some of those who had earlier publicly rejected the political process joined the conferences, pointing out that many areas of consensus appeared in those consultations, including the issue of eastern Sudan, where a breakthrough emerged, such as an agreement on a forum that will pave the way for future reconciliation in that region.

Perthes confirmed that the process was "truly Sudanese" and that the UN actively worked to facilitate it in cooperation with its two partners in the Trilateral Mechanism of the African Union, IGAD, and the United Nations.

"The process, certainly not perfect, and occasionally criticized for being too slow, has managed to get a broad and sufficiently inclusive group of stakeholders – particularly military authorities and civilian opposition parties – to near agreement," said the envoy.

He stressed that as "the Sudanese navigate this last hurdle, collective efforts from the international community are needed now more than ever."

Perthes underscored the need to support the next government with the capacity to tackle major issues that have lain dormant: addressing root causes of conflict; implementing security arrangements; significantly improving the lives of Sudanese women and men, and preparing free and fair elections.

He pointed out that "challenges facing the next government are immense: addressing pressing humanitarian and economic needs, ensuring security and justice and respect for human rights, peacemaking, and advancing the democratic transition are all critical demands of the Sudanese."

The UN, with international partners, is coordinating and jointly planning collective support for the post-agreement transition phase and the government's priorities. It already convened an initial discussion with UN agencies, the IFIs, and donors, to support the importance of an expected incoming government post-agreement.

Perthes added that the last workshop will be launched within days to discuss feasible options to reform the security sector and integrate the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and armed movements into "one national professional army."

He hoped the conference would develop an "initial roadmap" for implementation in the coming years.

Nevertheless, Perthes expressed concern about "the rising tensions between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces in recent weeks," explaining that he had appealed to both sides for urgent de-escalation.

He also expressed optimism about their decision to form a joint security committee and their agreement on fundamental aspects of security sector reform and integration.

Perthes praised the commitment of the Chairman of the Sovereign Council, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and his deputy and head of the RSF, Lieutenant General Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, to the political process and cooperation between military and civilian leaders in recent weeks to reach a solution.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.