European Troika Pressures Iran to Explain the Highly-Enriched Uranium

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri-Kani during talks (File photo: Foreign Ministry)
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri-Kani during talks (File photo: Foreign Ministry)
TT

European Troika Pressures Iran to Explain the Highly-Enriched Uranium

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri-Kani during talks (File photo: Foreign Ministry)
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri-Kani during talks (File photo: Foreign Ministry)

European diplomats from Germany, France, and Britain, met last week in Oslo with the Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri-Kani, sources in the German Foreign Ministry confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat.

They indicated the talks focused on asking Tehran to explain the origin of highly enriched uranium particles found by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) at the fortified Fordow facility. They did not discuss the stalled talks to revive the nuclear agreement.

The sources said that the meeting dealt with several issues, namely the Iranian escalation in the nuclear file, adding that European diplomats "clearly" expressed their countries' concerns and positions to the Iranian side.

The sources said the meeting did not address the nuclear talks or the possibility of returning to it.

On Wednesday, Mehr news agency reported that Bagheri-Kani held talks on reviving the nuclear deal with diplomats from the European Troika, adding that the meeting was also attended by the Deputy Secretary General of the European External Action Service, Enrique Mora.

However, Asharq Al-Awsat sources said that the EU did not attend the meeting, which is managing the stalled nuclear negotiations with Iran.

Another Western diplomatic source confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that Western countries are using all available channels to urge Iran to clarify the traces of highly-enriched uranium of up to 83.7 percent, close to the 90 percent that enables the production of a nuclear bomb.

Earlier in March, Iran promised the IAEA Secretary-General, Rafael Grossi, to cooperate with the Agency to clarify the issue.

Western countries did not present a draft resolution condemning Iran at the Board of Governors meeting at the beginning of the month, granting Tehran an opportunity to cooperate with the Agency.

Last week, the EU foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, called on his Iranian counterpart, Hossein Amirabdollahian, to ensure Tehran's cooperation with the Agency and the rapid implementation of the agreement.

In a press conference on Sunday, Amirabdollahian announced that cooperation between the IAEA and the Iranian Atomic Energy Organization could positively affect the nuclear talks.

Meanwhile, the Axios news website reported that Israel told the Biden administration and several European countries that Iran would enter dangerous territory that could trigger an Israeli military strike if it enriches uranium above 60 percent.

Israel has recently intensified its threats of military action against Tehran to prevent it from obtaining nuclear weapons. Tehran denies it aims to develop atomic weapons.

The website, quoting Israeli officials, stated that the Israeli government continues to prepare for a possible military strike against Iran.

Two Israeli officials told the website that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Yoav Gallant asked US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, during a recent visit to Israel, to expedite the delivery of four KC46 tankers that Israel bought from the US last year.

They added that Israel needs those tankers used for air refueling to prepare for a possible military strike in Iran.

On Tuesday, Israel's Foreign Minister Eli Cohen said he had discussed ways to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons with his British counterpart, James Cleverly.

Cohen tweeted that he talked extensively with Cleverly about the Iranian threat and ways to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.

He indicated that the international community must unite against the Iranian threat, increase sanctions, and present a viable military threat.



Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)

Poland has barred Chinese-made vehicles from entering military facilities due to concerns their onboard sensors could be used to collect sensitive data, the Polish Army said on Tuesday evening.

The army said in ‌a statement ‌that such vehicles ‌may ⁠still be allowed onto ⁠secured sites if specified functions are disabled and other safeguards required under each facility's security rules are in place.

To ⁠limit the risk ‌of ‌exposing confidential information, the military has ‌also banned connecting company ‌phones to infotainment systems in vehicles manufactured in China.

The restrictions do not apply ‌to publicly accessible military locations such as hospitals, ⁠clinics, ⁠libraries, prosecutors' offices or garrison clubs, the army said.

It added that the measures are precautionary and align with practices used by NATO members and other allies to ensure high standards of protection for defense infrastructure.


Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
TT

Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)

British ‌Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke to US President Donald Trump on Tuesday night about US-mediated Russia-Ukraine peace talks in Geneva, as well as talks between the US and Iran on ‌their nuclear ‌dispute, a Downing Street ‌spokesperson ⁠said.

Starmer also discussed ⁠Gaza with Trump and stressed on the importance of securing further access for humanitarian aid, the spokesperson said.

Negotiators ⁠from Ukraine and ‌Russia ‌concluded the first of two days ‌of the US-mediated ‌peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with Trump pressing Kyiv to act fast ‌to reach a deal.

Separately, Iranian Foreign Minister ⁠Abbas ⁠Araqchi said Tehran and Washington reached an understanding on Tuesday on "guiding principles" aimed at resolving their longstanding nuclear dispute, but that did not mean a deal is imminent.


Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
TT

Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON

Japan's lower house formally reappointed Sanae Takaichi as prime minister on Wednesday, 10 days after her historic landslide election victory.

Takaichi, 64, became Japan's first woman premier in October and won a two-thirds majority for her party in the snap lower house elections on February 8.

She has pledged to bolster Japan's defenses to protect its territory and waters, likely further straining relations with Beijing, and to boost the flagging economy.

Takaichi suggested in November that Japan could intervene militarily if Beijing sought to take Taiwan by force.

China, which regards the democratic island as part of its territory and has not ruled out force to annex it, was furious.

Beijing's top diplomat Wang Yi told the Munich Security Conference on Saturday that forces in Japan were seeking to "revive militarism".

In a policy speech expected for Friday, Takaichi will pledge to update Japan's "Free and Open Indo-Pacific" strategic framework, local media reported.

"Compared with when FOIP was first proposed, the international situation and security environment surrounding Japan have become significantly more severe," chief government spokesman Minoru Kihara said Monday.

In practice this will likely mean strengthening supply chains and promoting free trade through the Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) that Britain joined in 2024.

Takaichi's government also plans to pass legislation to establish a National Intelligence Agency and to begin concrete discussions towards an anti-espionage law, the reports said.

Takaichi has promised too to tighten rules surrounding immigration, even though Asia's number two economy is struggling with labor shortages and a falling population.

On Friday Takaichi will repeat her campaign pledge to suspend consumption tax on food for two years in order to ease inflationary pressures on households, local media said, according to AFP.

This promise has exacerbated market worries about Japan's colossal debt, with yields on long-dated government bonds hitting record highs last month.

Rahul Anand, the International Monetary Fund chief of mission in Japan, said Wednesday that debt interest payments would double between 2025 and 2031.

"Removing the consumption tax (on food) would weaken the tax revenue base, since the consumption tax is an important way to raise revenues without creating distortions in the economy," Anand said.

To ease such concerns, Takaichi will on Friday repeat her mantra of having a "responsible, proactive" fiscal policy and set a target on reducing government debt, the reports said.

She will also announce the creation of a cross-party "national council" to discuss taxation and how to fund ageing Japan's ballooning social security bill.

But Takaichi's first order of business will be obtaining approval for Japan's budget for the fiscal year beginning on April 1 after the process was delayed by the election.

The ruling coalition also wants to pass legislation that will outlaw destroying the Japanese flag, according to the media reports.

It wants too to accelerate debate on changing the constitution and on revising the imperial family's rules to ease a looming succession crisis.

Takaichi and many within her Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) oppose making it possible for a woman to become emperor, but rules could be changed to "adopt" new male members.