US Soldiers Join Somali Army in its War Against Shabaab

Security forces patrol outside a building that was attacked by suspected al-Shabab militants in Somalia's capital Mogadishu (AFP)
Security forces patrol outside a building that was attacked by suspected al-Shabab militants in Somalia's capital Mogadishu (AFP)
TT
20

US Soldiers Join Somali Army in its War Against Shabaab

Security forces patrol outside a building that was attacked by suspected al-Shabab militants in Somalia's capital Mogadishu (AFP)
Security forces patrol outside a building that was attacked by suspected al-Shabab militants in Somalia's capital Mogadishu (AFP)

US soldiers joined the Somali army, preparing for the second phase of the war against the extremist Somali al-Shabaab Movement.

An official in the Somali government confirmed, on condition of anonymity, to Asharq Al-Awsat that members of the US Special Forces had arrived in the Mahas area, about 300 km from the capital.

The special forces will help supervise the upcoming attack against the strongholds of al-Shabaab.

According to Somali media, US military officials and officers were received by Mahas Governor upon their arrival in the area.

It quoted local officials as saying that the visit of the US officials falls within the framework of the second phase of the upcoming military operation against al-Shabaab.

Meanwhile, the extremist Somali youth movement claimed to have received "intelligence information" regarding a US plan to return Ethiopian forces to Somalia.

In an interview with al-Shabab-affiliated radio, the militant group's spokesman, Ali Rage, accused the US of mobilizing forces against the group.

He said the original plan was to eliminate al-Shabab within six months, noting the failure of the first phase of the operation, which included NATO members such as the US and Türkiye.

Earlier this month, Mogadishu International Airport received a US Air Force plane loaded with a shipment of military equipment to support the Somali forces.

Somali Defense Minister Abdulkadir Nur said it would contribute to the war against the al-Shabab Movement.

Last year, US President Joe Biden restored 450 troops to Somalia to advise Somali soldiers, more than a year after his predecessor Donald Trump ordered their withdrawal.

Before Trump's decision, the US had about 700 troops in Somalia focused on helping local forces against the al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Shabaab insurgency.

In addition to the military and logistical support, Washington allocated through the Rewards for Justice Program (RFJ) of the US State Department a reward of $5 million for information leading to the arrest of Shabaab leader, Ali Rage, accused of involvement in terrorist attacks in Kenya and Somalia.

Officials in the Mahas region said that they are moving to the Galgaduud area to remove the Movement from it and urged locals to expel the al-Shabab from the whole country.

Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud announced the resumption of the second face of military operations against terrorism in several areas, noting that the national army is intensifying its operations against al-Shabaab Movement linked to the al-Qaeda organization, and inflicted heavy losses upon it.



More than a Dozen Migrants Die as Boats Sink off Greece, Türkiye

A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture
A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture
TT
20

More than a Dozen Migrants Die as Boats Sink off Greece, Türkiye

A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture
A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture

A boat carrying migrants from Türkiye to a nearby Greek island sank Thursday morning, leaving at least seven people dead, including three children, Greece’s coast guard said. Turkish authorities reported what appeared to be a separate sinking in the same area, with nine people dead.
The two accidents reportedly occurred several hours apart in the narrow stretch of the Aegean Sea between the Greek island of Lesbos and the Turkish coast, with both sides unaware of the other nation’s rescue efforts.
Greece's coast guard said a dinghy carrying migrants began taking on water and 23 people were rescued and the bodies of three women, two boys, one girl and one man were recovered, The AP news reported. 
The survivors were taken to a migrant camp on the island. The search and rescue operation continued into Thursday afternoon as the exact number of people who had been on board the dinghy was unclear.
Weather in the area was reported to have been good. The nationalities of those on board were not immediately known.
Separately in Türkiye, the Canakkale governor’s office said the Turkish coast guard received an emergency call for help from a migrant boat and deployed three boats and a helicopter.
The statement said that nine bodies had been recovered and the search for one missing person continued, while 25 people were rescued.
Greece is one of the main entry points into the European Union for people fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, with many making the short but often treacherous journey from the Turkish coast to nearby Greek islands in inflatable dinghies or other small boats. Many are unseaworthy, or set out in bad weather, and fatal accidents have been common.
The Greek government has cracked down with increased patrols at sea, and many smuggling rings have shifted their operations south, using larger boats to transport people from the northern coast of Africa to southern Greece.
Last year, more than 54,000 people used what has become known as the eastern Mediterranean route heading to Greece, and more than 7,700 crossed Greece's small land border with Türkiye, according to figures from the UN refugee agency. There were 125 people reported dead or missing.
By March 30, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said there had been just over 8,000 people arriving in Greece by sea and 755 by land since the start of 2025.