Türkiye Renews Rejection of Preconditions for Normalizing Ties with Syria

A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)
A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)
TT

Türkiye Renews Rejection of Preconditions for Normalizing Ties with Syria

A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)
A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)

Türkiye renewed its rejection of any preconditions for normalizing its relations with Syria, including a demand to withdraw its forces from northern Syria.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu stressed that his country would not accept any preconditions for direct talks with the Syrian government, including withdrawing its forces.

Cavusoglu said in a televised interview that his country would not accept the withdrawal of its forces while the Kurdish forces accused of "terrorism" remain in northeastern Syria.

He added that the Syrian regime demanded Türkiye to withdraw from Syrian territory. "We will not accept the condition of withdrawing from Syrian territory to negotiate," he said to the media, citing threats to his country in Syria.

Syria focuses on three main points: the need to end the Turkish presence on Syrian territory, non-interference in Syrian internal affairs, and combat terrorism in all its forms.

Türkiye confirms that its military presence in northern Syria is a guarantee to deter threats from the Kurdish militants and does not believe the Syrian regime can currently control the borders.

Cavusoglu said: "Further contacts with Syria are possible, but there is still work to be done. And we will not accept any preconditions."

He stressed the need to work with President Bashar Assad's regime to ensure the safe return of Syrian refugees to their country.

Damascus repeatedly announced that withdrawing Turkish forces from northern Syria is a condition for any negotiations to normalize relations or a meeting between the two countries' presidents.

Recent developments and the resumption of talks at the level of deputy foreign ministers of Türkiye, Syria, Russia, and Iran in Moscow earlier in April showed there is an agreement to maintain the talks and deal with the issues on its agenda.

Cavusoglu stated that Ankara "received information from the Russian side about the possibility of holding a meeting of the four countries' foreign ministers in early May" and was continuing contacts with Moscow on this issue.

Negotiations with Egypt

The Syrian issue was essential to the talks between Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry and Cavusoglu in Ankara.

Shoukry stressed, in a joint press conference, that Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity should be preserved, asserting that all foreign forces must withdraw from Syrian territory.

In turn, Cavusoglu reaffirmed Türkiye's longstanding position that its military presence was needed to fight "terrorism" and threats coming from Syrian territory.

"We must make sure that there is no threat to us from there," Cavusoglu said.

Bringing about permanent peace and stability in Syria is important to both Türkiye and Egypt, said Cavusoglu, adding that the two countries have agreed to work closely and exchange views.

Several Arab countries began accelerating rapprochement efforts with Damascus. Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Miqdad visited Cairo and then Jeddah, in the first visits by a Syrian official at this level in more than ten years.

Türkiye is seeking to hold a meeting between its President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, with Russian and Iranian support.

However, Assad announced that the Turkish withdrawal from Syrian territory is a precondition for any meetings.

Turkish sources familiar with the matter revealed that Ankara is communicating with countries that have begun normalizing relations with Damascus.

Criticism of France

Cavusoglu criticized the French Senate for hosting the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) members, the largest component of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

Ankara considers the SDF an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

He said that the PKK is on the EU's list of terrorist organizations, adding that it is hypocritical when they call them terrorists and support them.

Cavusoglu commented on Türkiye's closure of its airspace with Sulaymaniyah, stressing that the city is under the control of the PKK and it uses the city's airport for its transportation.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.