Lebanon Divided over Return of Displaced Syrians

A camp for the displaced Syrians in Al-Rayhaniyah, in the Akkar governorate, northern Lebanon (AFP)
A camp for the displaced Syrians in Al-Rayhaniyah, in the Akkar governorate, northern Lebanon (AFP)
TT
20

Lebanon Divided over Return of Displaced Syrians

A camp for the displaced Syrians in Al-Rayhaniyah, in the Akkar governorate, northern Lebanon (AFP)
A camp for the displaced Syrians in Al-Rayhaniyah, in the Akkar governorate, northern Lebanon (AFP)

Some political parties and local communities have called for the deportation of Syrian refugees, while others and international organizations considered that the conditions for their return were not suitable.

In light of this situation, there have been warnings against potential “Syrian-Lebanese clashes”, especially with anonymous calls for the displaced Syrians to demonstrate outside the UNHCR headquarters on Wednesday, in parallel with a similar invitation by the Lebanese demanding their deportation.

On Tuesday, the head of the Kataeb Party, MP Samir Gemayel, said that Lebanon could no longer tolerate the presence of refugees.

During a press conference in Beirut following a meeting with UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon Joanna Wronecka, Gemayel said: “Lebanon received more than 1.8 million displaced people, and dealt with them in the best humane way; but today we are facing a new phase as the hostilities in Syria have ended, and there are no more open battles. Thus, it is possible for them to return to their country.”

“It is time for us to change the way we dealt with this issue,” he underlined.

The former deputy speaker of parliament, Elie Ferzli, warned against a potential “Syrian-Lebanese infighting”.

In remarks following a meeting with Speaker Nabih Berri on Tuesday, Ferzli said that some Syrians abroad were “shouting extremely dangerous slogans.”

“We have an interest in expediting the election of a president, who would deal with and resolve this file as soon as possible,” he stated.

On the other hand, the Progressive Socialist Party (PSP) demanded guarantees for the return of refugees to their country.

MP Hadi Abul-Hassan told Asharq Al-Awsat: “In our opinion, the refugees must return to their country… but with international guarantees” especially for anti-regime figures.

He added that the guarantees must include a safe return and appropriate social conditions.

Meanwhile, calls for demonstrations on Wednesday in front of the UNHCR headquarters in Beirut, were raised by a group presenting itself as the “National Campaign to Liberate Lebanon from the Syrian Demographic Occupation,” and to “confront the arrogance of the occupier”.

The organizers said that their move came in response to an invitation from the displaced Syrians to demonstrate before the Commission, to reject their forced deportation.

Maroun Khouli, head of the General Confederation of Lebanese Trade Unions, which launched the campaign last week, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “We called for the protest in parallel with the demonstration held by the displaced Syrians because we will not allow them to stand against the decisions of the Lebanese army and the laws.”

On the other hand, a displaced Syrian in Lebanon confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that calls from unknown sources circulated among the refugees, urging them to demonstrate. He stressed that this was an attempt to stir tension between the Lebanese and the Syrians.

Following information that pointed to the deportation of more than 50 Syrians from Lebanon, Amnesty International called on the Lebanese authorities to “halt the illegal deportations of Syrian refugees for fear that they will be subjected to torture or persecution by the Syrian government upon their return.”

Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa, Aya Majzoub, released a statement saying: “No refugee should be returned to a place where his life would be in danger.”



UN Appalled by Extrajudicial Killings in Khartoum

A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
TT
20

UN Appalled by Extrajudicial Killings in Khartoum

A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk on Thursday said he was appalled by reports of widespread extrajudicial killings of civilians in Khartoum following its recapture by the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) on 26 March.

“I am utterly appalled by the credible reports of numerous incidents of summary executions of civilians in several areas of Khartoum, on apparent suspicions that they were collaborating with the Rapid Support Forces,” said Turk.

He then urged the commanders of the Sudanese Armed Forces “to take immediate measures to put an end to arbitrary deprivation of life.”

The UN Commissioner said his Office has reviewed multiple horrific videos posted on social media since 26 March, all of them apparently filmed in southern and eastern Khartoum.

“They show armed men – some in uniform and others in civilian clothes – executing civilians in cold blood, often in public settings. In some videos, perpetrators state that they are punishing supporters of RSF,” he said.

The RSF, led by Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, has been battling the army, led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, since April 2023.

Last week the army said it had retaken full control of Khartoum after weeks of attacks on the capital by the paramilitaries, though Daglo said his forces had only “repositioned.”

On Thursday, Sudan's paramilitary said they downed an Antonov military plane, the fourth this month, belonging to the Sudanese army near Al Fasher, the capital of Sudan’s North Darfur State.

The RSF published a video that they said showed the plane wreckage. It said in a statement that the plane dropped “dozens of barrel bombs on innocent civilians in Al Fasher and other Sudanese cities.”

Meanwhile, an activist group said that the RSF killed at least 85 people in one week during attacks south of the capital Khartoum.

“For the seventh consecutive day, the Janjaweed militias continue their violent attacks on villages... west of Jebel Awliya, resulting in the deaths of more than 85 people and the injury of dozens,” said the Sudanese resistance committee, referring to the RSF by the name of its precursor.

Bashir’s Deputy Released

Also on Thursday, Sudanese authorities released former First Vice President Bakri Hassan Saleh and Youssif Abdel Fattah, a former minister.

Saleh and Abdel Fattah are among some 30 officials who are standing trial for their involvement in the June 30, 1989 coup, that brought former Sudanese leader Omar al-Bashir to power.

SAF leader Abdel Fattah al Burhan issued the decision based on a judicial ruling that stated the two men need to receive treatment due to deteriorating health conditions.